JBM464F S3 or S4?

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:10 pm

My darling ex-wife has given me a pile of photos that I had assumed were lost forever,including some of an ?lan I owned for a while back in the mid 70s.
I see from the DVLA that this car is still registered,and wondered if anyone here knows anything about it,or perhaps even owns it?
I bought it for my wife,ran it for a while alongside my s4 fhc,and we sold it after a while,realising that a convertible was not really suitable for London life at that time,with no garage. It had also,very obviously,had a much harder life than the fhc.
I remember that it had s3 switches,didn't remember the rear lights being s4 until I saw the photos. Didn't remember it as an s/e either,and it certainly wasn't as fast as the fhc.
I'll try to get some copies of the photos up later

Ray
68 S4fhc
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:17 pm

image.jpg and
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Sorry, not any of my registers. Try asking Club Lotus and Andy Graham at Lotus.

Looks like a S3 with S4 lights fitted.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:52 pm

Thanks Tim,yes I guess it was probably quite a cheap and easy "mod" in the day to update the look of the car,when originality wasn't the greatest priority!
Even though I was a seasoned Lotus owner at that time,it was difficult to know exactly what was the spec of the car in those days.
The car has a current mot,so someone must know its whereabouts.
It is white now,instead of the blue at the time btw.
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:38 pm

Guessing it's your fhc hiding behind the Anglia.........
It's amazing how the ?lan seems average in size in these pics (against the cars of the day).....yet on today's roads seems very small......
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:56 am

Yes that is my fhc just up the road. The Anglia and other cars all look "in scale",funny how tiny they all look now next to modern cars. I would love to see a group photo of say a new and old Fiat 500, VW Beetle,?lan and Mx5, Mini, Ferrari Dino,E type and so on.
Mustn't complain about progress. Fuel economy,reliability,durability and safety are all so much better now,just a shame that the roads are so busy that journeys in the UK still take longer than 50 years ago!
Rant over!

Ray
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:24 pm

Elan MX5b.jpg and

I can oblige with the Elan vs MX5 photo Ray, my elan next to my brother-in-law's MX5 a couple of years ago. We had a Mk1 MX5 and it never felt that much different to drive and was probably a bit closer in size but I think the MX5 has put on weight with every generation since.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:53 pm

Great picture Brian, really shows how good the Elan was! Or should I say, IS!!
Ray
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:48 am

Just found one more!
Ray
Attachments
image.jpg and
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear