Restoration of S2 Elan - EOK

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:09 pm

Some progress made already, despite my promise to SWMBO that I wouldn't spend quite as much time on this project as the last one :mrgreen: All the boxes of bits have been stowed and the body is off the chassis.
SNV32297.JPG
SNV32297.JPG (57.64 KiB) Viewed 1449 times

SNV32298.JPG
SNV32298.JPG (57.29 KiB) Viewed 1449 times

The Spyder chassis was new 25 years or so ago and so were the suspension arms and springs/dampers, but despite not being on the road in all that time they do need cleaning up and a bit of a refurb. The bushes look as if they were all replaced too, but will they still be serviceable after such a long time...that is the question? I'm more inclined to keep the Spyder chassis rather than change to a Lotus one (Engineer wins over purist :wink: )
I've glassed in all the holes cut in the floor and around the heater by a PO, so the body can be started in earnest. There's lots of stress cracks to be dealt with, but I'm going to leave it for a bit 'till after I've stripped the chassis (sorry sub-frame :roll: ) I'm going to have the wheels grit blasted and painted and new tyres so that the chassis can be rolled more easily (flat tyres 35 years old have a shape all of their own :D )
SNV32299.JPG
SNV32299.JPG (61.24 KiB) Viewed 1449 times

SNV32302.JPG
SNV32302.JPG (52.78 KiB) Viewed 1449 times

SNV32303.JPG
SNV32303.JPG (53.88 KiB) Viewed 1449 times

Enforced weekend break coming up, so no work for a few days :(
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:13 pm

That sounds like good progress to me Geoff. Getting those heater holes sorted must have been satisfying!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:35 pm

Thanks Mark, yes the fibreglassing was not too difficult thanks to your accurately cut replacements and the mould for the sill repair
SNV32304.JPG
SNV32304.JPG (57.02 KiB) Viewed 1435 times

I think you can just about see the join in the pic :D

On a different point, anyone know why my pics are coming out with a green tint? Is it anything to do with the size reduction ? Originals on the camera are fine :?
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:04 pm

[quote="Geoffers71"]On a different point, anyone know why my pics are coming out with a green tint? Is it anything to do with the size reduction ? Originals on the camera are fine :?[/quote]

Plymouth Gin?
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:11 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :wink:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Back after our weekend away and back on the job :D Dismantled the RHS suspension and as suspected, despite the rusty neglected look of things, everything is new, or WAS new 25 years ago :!: Every nut and bolt was replaced, as one would expect from Mick Miller who did the job. Vertical links, trunnions, bearings, track rod ends, all new but in need of TLC. The wishbones are the Spyder tubular chrome ones and although the top one cleaned up reasonably well, the bottom one had pealing chrome. I do have the option of reverting to the original Lotus ones (another decision required :roll: ), but if I keep them I'll have to paint them I think (any other siggestions?)
Here's some of the parts dismantled and cleaned up a bit

SNV32309.JPG and

The Koni spring/dampers were also new then, but are a bit rusty too. I'll take them apart for repainting, but I can't see why they should otherwise be affected. Anything I should do to check?

The discs were also new, but VERY rusty, luckily only surface rust though so should clean up fine. here's one I started earlier :)
SNV32311.JPG and

The rack will need new gaitors, but otherwise seems to have been refurbished or maybe replaced, certainly the steering U/J is new.
SNV32312.JPG and

Really chuffed with progress so far. LHS tomorrow then repaint and reassemble.
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Front suspension is now done :D
Stripped and painted wishbones and coilovers
SNV32313.JPG and

Removing springs was interesting to say the least :? After trying a few Heath Roibinson arrangements using my spring compressors, which were too large to fit between the coils, I decided to ask my local garage if they could help. After puzzling over the problem for 10 minutes they decided they couldn't :shock: , everything they had was too large to fit. So, I researched on here and built my own cage using 4 rods of studding and my own end plates. Worked a treat :mrgreen:
SNV32316.JPG and

Everything else was straightforward. Even though first done 25 years ago, bolts were as new and it was a pleasure to strip and reassemble. Such a change from my last project where every bolt was seized and the angry grinder was the only recourse.
SNV32327.JPG and

Had the wheels grit blasted, primed and painted
Primed
SNV32317.JPG and

Painted black on the inside as original
SNV32320.JPG and

And silver on the outside
SNV32322.JPG and

New tyres to be fitted on Thursday

Now for the rear suspension :wink:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:00 pm

I fitted the anti-roll bar bushes today, the ones that connect the roll bar to the chassis. What a b******d of a job. Tried every method I could think of which involved pressing the bushes into the drop link while they were on the bar, nigh on b***dy impossible as the bushes just squash up. Spent hours fiddling then retired (hurt :roll: ) to read what folks said about the job on here. Using the method described in a few posts, I fitted the bush to the drop link first, judiciously filed the flat ends of the bar a little, smothered everything in Fairy washing up liquid, held drop link in the vice and pushed the bar, using some force it has to be said, through the bush. Took about 15 minutes a side :mrgreen: Only draw back?.......I've put my back out :roll: Still, job done and my back will get better :lol:
Thanks to all on here for their invaluable advice !
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:28 pm

"Now hands that do anti-roll bar bushings can feel as soft as your face with mild green Fairy Liquid" :lol:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Latest update:
Front suspension now pretty much done except for connecting up the front brake pipes.
SNV32327.JPG and

SNV32323.JPG and

Turned my attention to the rear suspension, and again everything was superficially corroded, but would clean up I was sure
Before
SNV32328.JPG and

After
SNV32333.JPG and

The exception to the clean-up rule were the rear strut inserts, which had specks of rust showing.
SNV32329.JPG and

So I dismantled the strut and, despite my best efforts, I couldn't get them absolutely clean. There was still a slight roughness that I could feel with my nail, so, no choice really.......new inserts ordered from Paul Matty :( At the same time ordered 4 new doughnuts and new flexi brake lines. Bloomin' 'eck the cost of Lotus parts now is eye-watering :shock:
Just finishing rebuilding the rear calipers with new pistons and seals from Classicar Automotive. Can't fit them yet though 'cos I can't find the mounting bolts :( . Am I right in thinking these are 7/16 UNF?
When the chassis is rolling again (not long I think), I'll install the engine block in the chassis and finish assembling it in situ. Already had the sump off to check the bearings and pour some oil everywhere, everything looks as if it was well protected before being put back together and it rotates fine, so I will be leaving well alone
SNV32332.JPG and

The engine assembly is going to be a big challenge as there are numerous little packages containing all sorts of nuts,bolts and bits and I haven't a clue as yet what they are and where they fit :? :? Ah well , onwards and upwards :mrgreen:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Tue May 06, 2014 9:40 pm

Absolutely loving this Geoffers.

I have a Plus 2 project myself, and am learning a lot from this. Gaining inspiration too!

Thanks.

Andy
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:45 pm

I had a really good day in the garage today as SWMBO went shopping in town (yuck!) :D Manage to complete the rebuild of the rear calipers including the handbrake mechanism and got them installed ( I managed to find the caliper fixing bolts, but not until AFTER I went out and bought some :evil: ) Actually I'm glad I found them as the originals already had the holes drilled in the heads for the locking wire, so that saved me a job.
Also sorted the handbrake "tree" and connected it all up.
SNV32335.JPG and

SNV32337.JPG and

SNV32336.JPG and

In this last picture, centre bottom, there's a bracket with two holes attached to the chassis down tube, one on the other side too. It's a Spyder chassis, so does anyone know what these are for?

Anyway I attached the rear wheels and now I have a rolling chassis again. Yahoo :mrgreen:

SNV32334.JPG and

Just have to connect the brake pipes to the front calipers next and I can move on to the engine :wink:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed May 07, 2014 6:51 pm

You're going to be finished by summer at this rate Geoff! Looking very good, and I'm glad you found the bolts. I did have a little hunt in my spares today and found a couple with, as you say, the wire holes drilled in the top.

I have loads of spare handbrake pads if you need them...can't remember if I put a set in with the calipers.

Keep up the good work, and we'll try and keep up with your progress!

Mark Kempson
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:06 pm

Don't think so Mark :D , no illusions, I've just finished the easy bit. :roll: Yes, you did put some handbrake pads in, but I had a set already in my stock that I've collected over the years. I even had a brand new set of main pads tucked away, plus two new sets for the front :roll: I have a few things missing that I will need in due course so I may well be putting the begging bowl out :D Are you planning on going to Castle Coombe?
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed May 07, 2014 10:29 pm

I will be going to Castle Combe, so I'll put the spare wheel in the boot if you're also there.

If you think of anything else let me know.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: