Restoration of S2 Elan - EOK

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi All, I joined this group only a few weeks ago as "Newbie from Devon" looking for a project Elan. I've had 5 Elans in the past, the first, a 1965 S2 in Silver with red interior (is that unique?), bought in 1968. I've also owned 2 Europas and currently have an S2 Elise. Well thanks to this forum and in particular Mark, Elanintheforest, I now have my project, a 1965 S2 that was last on the road in about 1976. It's in what one would call "component form" :mrgreen: in that no component is in any way joined to any other :lol: The body is placed, but not bolted, to the "new" Spyder chassis (sorry sub-frame !), "new " that is about 25 years ago when a restoration was started but subsequently abandoned, and everything else is in boxes, lots of them :? I have to give great credit to Mark, who has systematically tracked down and replaced any missing or decrepit parts, including many rare and difficult to find ones, so that everything is there (somewhere :? :D ) I picked up the car on Sunday and packing the car up for it's 3 hour trip to it's new home was a test of determination (some would say obstinancy) to get everything in. Mark was sure I'd have to make another trip !.........he obviously didn't know me well enough :lol:
Here's a few pics:

SNV32288.JPG
SNV32288.JPG (57.26 KiB) Viewed 5606 times

SNV32291.JPG
SNV32291.JPG (58.11 KiB) Viewed 5606 times

SNV32289.JPG
SNV32289.JPG (63.01 KiB) Viewed 5606 times

SNV32294.JPG
SNV32294.JPG (44.73 KiB) Viewed 5606 times

I know it looks as if it's been sat on by an elephant, but it was the best way of stowing the hardtop !!
So...I have quite a challenging project, but I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in. It's so nice to be back in Elan ownership and to being on this forum. Expect loads of stupid questions and examples of idiotic mistakes :roll: I'll keep you updated on progress (If you want :wink: :wink: )
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:53 pm

Welcome & that will buff right out!

I look forward to hearing updates as you restore your car.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:42 am

Congratulations and there no dumb, stupid, etc. questions. We all learn from each other, because no one has all the correct answers.

I'm intrigued with your Silver with red interior. Was it original?
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:14 am

I'm glad to see that the car has gone to a good home :D

Lotus, for a fee, would paint an Elan any colour the customer requested, assuming that the colour was readily available from the local paint supplier. There seems to be a trend in believing that Elan's were only painted in the colours listed in the sales material, but I believe any colour available at the time is good on an Elan.

My very first Elan was originally silver and there is a thread on the forum about red interiors, I think it's quite likely the car left the factory that way, it sounds like a great combination.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:34 am

hi geoffers
congratulations on your purchase......I knew about the project mark was offering, and I was tempted, but don't think I could have got it in the garage, or past SWMBO :lol:
As another newbie from devon, I can't offer you much in the way of elan knowledge or experience, but I'm only up the road from you with a s4 dhc [which may have some things in common with a s2], so feel free to contact me if you want to have a look!
good luck!
:D fred
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:39 am

Yes, my first S2 was less than 3years old when I bought it and left the factory finished in silver with a red interior. IIRC it was built for an American chap who was in the USAF and stationed in England. He sold it after returning to the US to the chap that I bought it off. The silver finish became very tarnished and I repainted it White. I kept the car for nearly 5 years before selling it to buy a Plus 2. It's not in existence in England according to the DVLA, wonder where it went? America? Japan? The great scrap yard in the sky? :? Would love to know, great memories :wink:

edit: yes Fred would love to have a natter about Elans sometime, where are you?
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:10 pm

S2 with hardtop, very nice. It looks like the hard work is done, just a little finish up work! Good luck and have fun!

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:18 pm

Geoffers71 wrote:I know it looks as if it's been sat on by an elephant, but it was the best way of stowing the hardtop !!

Actually, in the front quarter view, it looks like a radically chopped coupe - windshield about 6" high. I kinda like it!

Good luck, and enjoy the journey.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:05 pm

I really, really don't like selling off my projects, which are as much about a dream and a plan and an ambition as anything else. But I couldn't have wished for a better new owner than Geoff. At last the car will be completed, rather than sit in a barn waiting it's turn.

Now Geoff has a couple of dilemmas, which you guys may be able to help with. It's all about options.

Firstly, the chassis. It has a new Spyder chassis fitted, and the option is to swap that out for a new Lotus chassis if originality is important. No cost, as the new Lotus chassis is here, and either it will be sold on, or the Spyder chassis will be sold on. Engineers tend to prefer the Spyder chassis, and Geoff is an Aeronautical engineer...the most disciplined of all engineering practice!

Secondly, the wheels. The car is on knock-ons, which were an option for the S2. Available are a set of bolt-on wheels, hubs and hubcaps, again, as a no-cost swap. Well, there would be a cost as the uprights and stub axles are different, which would amount to ?150 or so. So the question is....does the S2 look better with bolt-on wheels with hub-caps, or knock-ons with spinners?

By the way Geoff, I have found a good spare knock-on wheel.

I'm looking forward to following the restoration Geoff, like a father watching the progress of his favorite adopted son!!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:31 pm

Righto Dad :lol:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:45 pm

hi geoff
I'm on dartmoor, a couple of miles from okehampton........but don't get to plymouth very often.......
looks like mark is a good guy to have bought a project from!!!
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:20 am

Elanconvert wrote:hi geoff
I'm on dartmoor, a couple of miles from okehampton........but don't get to plymouth very often.......
looks like mark is a good guy to have bought a project from!!!

A terrible fellow to buy a project from :lol: that's why I bought two :D And as soon as my S2 is finished (if I ever get home again), I'll be starting on the Mk 14 :D

Geoff I'm ex-aviation and now in power gen, if it were my call I'd go for the Lotus chassis with a few mods and I'd stick to the KO wheels.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:17 pm

Any more views about whether I should keep the Spyder sub-frame or swap it for the Lotus one? I change my mind according to the weather, or whether the day of the week has a 'T' in it :? The engineer in me is screaming to keep the Spyder, stronger , stiffer and more dimensionally accurate. My S3 was rebuilt on a new galvanized Lotus chassis nearly 30 years ago and it never felt right. The chassis was the main suspect being, I think, one of those early ones that proved to be distorted by the process. On the other hand my heart, such as it is :roll: , says for the sake of originality it should be the Lotus one, ( though it's still not 'original' is it?). Apart from the above, is there really much of a final value difference between the two? .....and does it matter? Club Lotus always used to say that Spyder subframe was as equally acceptable as a Lotus one, especially as at one time Spyder was the only option. Anyway my final decision will depend on if it's a Tuesday or not :roll: .......and then there's the matter of knock-on or bolt-on wheels. Decisions, decisions :?
In the meantime I've already made a start on EOK's restoration by glassing in the large holes cut in the bulkhead made by a PO to fit a non-standard heater. Body off next to have a closer look at that chassis,( sorry sub-frame).
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:04 pm

What do you want to do with the car?

Restore keeping it fairly standard, use it for afternoon drives, show it at shows, own it for a few years and possibly sell it to fund the next project. Then I'd go with the Lotus chassis as it is up to the job and original. Generally the earlier the car the more likely it is to become of interest to collectors rather than as pure driving machine. In this case original features start to matter and it might be better (>$) with the Lotus chassis.

If you want to restore it for driving and the odd track day, and keep it forever, then what is important is the driving experience, durability and easy maintenance. In this case I'd go for the Spyder .

On the knock on, if the pieces are in good condition and you have a good set of wheels then why change? Sourcing wheels and new parts can be expensive for knock ons, so if this isn't the case it is probably more cost effective to swap to the bolt on's.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rozzer » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:24 am

My 2 pence worth Geoff...I'd keep both the Spyder frame and the KO's - the Lotus chassis would need 26Ring (strengthening and so on) and would probably not be as bomb-proof as the Spyder (from what I have read!). And personally I think KOs look the part! But as the previous poster notes very sagely, it really depends on what you intend to do with it!
Good luck either way - looks like a quick job to slap it all back together and give it a good buff :)
Ashton
1954 Healey 100 (Gidget)
1958 Series 2 Land Rover
1962 Lotus Elite S2 #1591
1964 Lotus Elan S1.5 26/4177
1998 Lotus Elise S1
2003 Mini Cooper S R53
2013 BMW 118d Conv
If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
Rozzer
Second Gear
Second Gear