Check the carpet.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:00 am

At The moment I have no footwell carpet in the car but even so the floor is completely dry.
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:46 am

Hi all,
After what seems to have been an eternity I?m finally in a position to put my Elan back on the road, however, I still need to do a couple of things to complete this. The car is insured and has got a current MOT but as yet I haven?t got it taxed. I did contact DVLA a couple of years ago regarding my log book which was still the old ?green? one and got some great help from a chap who sent me a new V5C paper one.
I?m not sure here but if anyone can assist please let me know, I have to fill in section 7 of the V5 where it mentions ?Taxation Class? with ?Vintage Vehicle? and also fill in a form ?V10? (whatever that is) and take them along with my MOT to a Post Office that deals with car tax. They then send to DVLA who then tax the car.
I do have one big concern here and that is as I took the car off the road back in the late 1980?s it has never been SORN. Am I going to be in trouble? I?ve never had any correspondence from DVLA regarding this not even when I contacted them about getting a new V5C.
Your thoughts would be most welcome.
Cheers
Ian H
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ldtjohn » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi i have just got my Elan Sprint DHC back on the road after 33 years and had no problems with DVLA and i did not have a SORN either. I did it all on line and got a new log book in the post from DVLA, so best of luck. What work did you have to do to your car and how come it took so long? :lol: :lol:
ldtjohn
New-tral

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:45 pm

Ian,
I don`t think you have anything to worry about.
My car had been off the road for a long time before I bought it and was not taxed, insured or MOT`d. during that time. It had passed through three owners while off the road.
The man at the DVLA office said it was probably last taxed in the mid eighties, but their records were sketchy from that time.
I don`t think SORN had been invented then.
He changed the class from Private/light goods to Historic, so no fee to pay, issued a free tax disc and sent me on my way rejoicing. That was in 2011 when I put it on the road.
You can probably look at the V10 on the DVLA website.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC ( just had the first run of the year to the local Club Lotus meeting )
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks for your replies guys,
I'll get in touch with DVLA and see what they say.
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Mon May 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Just letting you all know that after something like 25 years I've finally got my car on the road again!!! been out for a couple of short runs in it while the weather is good. The runs went well but just got home and driven into garage when the engine suddenly cut out. I don't think its a problem with the battery as the electric fan was still working fine however the ignition light on speedo does not light up now. The ignition turns the starter ok but I don't think there's a spark.
Any advice greatly received
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:16 pm

Well here I am having finally got my car running although still a few things to finish off. My servo which was in a bit of a state has arrived back from Classicar Automotive in like new condition (no relationship with them just a satisfied customer) Thanks Dave for all your advice.
This Sunday 17th June is the Castle Howard Classic Car show where I hope to take the car which would you believe I haven't driven for 27 years! I just hope it performs ok.
I took a couple of photos of it before putting it back in its Car chamber in the garage which I thought you may like to see. If all goes well on Sunday i'll post some more.
lotus-a.jpg and

lotus-c-jjpg.jpg and

Thanks
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:01 pm

First thing that came to my mind on seeing those pictures was "Pwoooar!".

Lovely car.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardD » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:10 pm

Looks fantastic what a great car.
RichardD
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi Ian,

Well I feel a bit gutted to miss the showing of a fantastic looking car.

NYLOC and the Lancashire region of Club Lotus will be there at Castle Howard. Expecting around 25 - 30 cars. I sadly will not, got to go to a wedding, bah. :(

I am sure you will have plenty of Lotus admirers looking at your car as well as other folk who know nothing about the joys of the restoration process.

Doug.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:25 am

RichardD wrote:Looks fantastic what a great car.

+1 Your car looks amazing.hopefully it will run as well as she looks :D :D :D
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:16 pm

Thanks Phil,
Feeling a bit nervous with this been my first proper run, although Castle Howard is only
25 miles away I'll just take it steady.
I'll let you all know how it all went when I get back home.
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Hi all,
Just back from a great day out at Castle Howard,
Met many Lotus owners from Nyloc and Club Lotus North West. Must have been 500 cars attending the show with our Lotus area very well populated. I had some problems on way to the event when the water temperature shot of the scale! I stopped to allow it to cool down before doing a top up but to no avail it shot up again after but two miles down the road. Again after parking up for fifteen minutes with the temp down I released the radiator cap to a wush of warm water forcing its way out. I quickly closed the cap and decided to make my way back home but hang on the temp decided to hover around the 80-90 deg mark. I turned round and decided to risk carrying on to the event. Most of the way there the temp stayed around the 90 mark. While at the event I purchased a new Radiator cap and on the way home the temp stayed around the 90 mark only going up a bit when I reached the outskirts of Scarborough. I still think its hotter than it should be, what do you think.
Here are a few photos of the event.
castle-howard-o.jpg and

castle-howard-e.jpg and
With Grand daughters and our dog

castle-howard-l.jpg and

castle-howard-g.jpg and
With Gordon Lund Left of Club Lotus North West fame

castle-howard-t.jpg and

Finally a photo of me with the PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP AWARD which I got, you could have knocked me down with a feather when they called it out!!!
castle-howard-x.jpg and

Hope you enjoy the photos
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:55 am

Hi all,
I've just been going through a load of photos converting them to digital via a new scanner and came across this one of my car at York. It was taken in 1980 when I used to travel about chasing trains! (one of my hobbies)
The loco in shot is one of the East coasts most famous class the Deltic's number 55014.
Deltic and Lotus A.jpg and

I've also found one or shots taken at Hethel in 1976 which I'll have a go at uploading.
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: