North Yorkshire Sprint FHC Rebuild

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:48 pm

Great fitting doors. You're doing it right, ie, make the seal fit the door, not the other way around.

Greg
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:08 pm

Yes Greg,
One of the reasons I went with SMS is they do everything correctly, I'm also impressed with the contact. Mick who is one of the two owners is doing all the prep work and keeps in touch with updates and photos.
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:05 pm

A few more photos of preparation of doors and other bits prior to painting, have just been ordering a few parts ready for rebuild from Sue Miller which arrived within a day!
1st Mar G mod.jpg and

1st Mar H Mod.jpg and

1st Mar I Mod.jpg and

1st Mar J Mod.jpg and

1st Mar K Mod.jpg and

Thanks
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:48 pm

maybe a stupid comment: why are the front lights (bodies thereof) still mounted?? the final result
may be (let?s say) questionable, to say the least. ------------- or did they just re-attach them for their
"works-photo"??? or am I just being cynical? cheers sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Sandy, looking at them I'd say they're working on getting all the contour lines correct as when I did a respray on the car I can't remember putting any filler on the light pods. Having seen their attention to detail there'll be a reason believe me.
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:21 pm

Hi, nice to see the pictures.
The shut line around the light pods look very good but will the paint thickness cause problems?
Not trying to be negative I spent ages to get all the gaps as close as possible

Good luck
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:08 am

Having seen the finished product I'm sure the guys at SMS will know what they're doing, I hope!!!! in truth Steve I'm sure all will be fine I can't wait to see the finished product.
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:20 pm

Ian, clearly they`re doing a great job but the big question, if you don`t mind telling us, is how many ?s?
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:06 pm

I daren't put it on here Jim in case the wife see's it! but rest assured its b****y expensive.
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:54 pm

Just had a load more photos from SMS who are well on now with my Sprint. After much prep work on the doors and body the car is now starting to take shape.
18th March A mod.jpg and

18th March B mod.jpg and

18th March C mod.jpg and

18th March D mod.jpg and

18th March H mod.jpg and

I have quite a few more photos which I need to edit but as soon as I have done them I'll add them to my thread.
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:18 am

More photos of car, I had message from Mick at SMS who is in charge of the work been done who tells me that they've now finished the gel resin sealer on car and are presently rubbing down ready for primer coat. Looking at photos I'm most impressed with the door fit which is a far cry from how it used to be.
19th March A Mod.jpg and

19th March B Mod.jpg and

19th March C Mod.jpg and

19th March D Mod.jpg and

19th March F Mod.jpg and

19th March G Mod.jpg and

Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ldtjohn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi Just admiring your restoration and wishing I was at your stage. I have a 1972 Sprint which has been off the road since 1984 and I am just starting restoration. Could I possibly ask where you are I am near Bedale North Yorkshire

Hope to hear from you

John Brown
ldtjohn
New-tral

PostPost by: silverlink » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi John,
I'm in Scarborough, I took my car off the road in early 90's since when I started my ground up restoration. I more or less got all the chassis side of things finished along with electrics but with it been stood for so long I fear there may be a few things to do before its running again. Once the paint is done its going to Bogg Brothers at East Luton near Malton for all the mechanical side of things to be sorted.
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:07 pm

Your pictures have been extremely helpful. My S4 is in for paint right now as well, so I forwarded the pictures on how to achieve good door fit. I have emphasized my expectations of perfection numerous times, and your pictures prove that is possible. Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:12 pm

Thanks Dan,
Glad the photos have been helpful, I must admit I wanted to have a go at doing the door 'cut-and-shut' myself but could never pluck up the courage to do it. As I've said earlier in my post Mick at SMS has done a first class job in getting the contours right which also included the top of the doors at front where they line up with front wings.
I'll keep you posted on developments and post more photos as they come in.
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: