S4SE DHC Headlights

PostPost by: peterexpart » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:28 pm

I am at the stage of re-assembly where the Headlight Pods are going back in, I do not understand why it was necessary to have the Stupid Long Screws passing thru two threaded Bobbins which wind up and down when there could have been two normal Bolts passing through Plain Bobbins with Nylon Spacer Washers ensuring that the Pods were central, or am I missing something really technical !!!!!
PeterExpart
New Forest National Park
Hampshire UK
peterexpart
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:35 pm

Assuming you mean un-threaded bobbins as "normal bobbins", I have to assume that it was for ease of installation. This way you don't have to have another pair of hands holding a nut inside the body and no need to try to position a nylon washer blocked by the body and pod. Again, just a guess on my part. And I think the extra long bolts was because these bolts have a tendency to work themselves out after a awhile. I usually have a lock washer on the inside of the pod and tighten against the pod bobbin. But again, just speculation.
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:04 am

There should also be a 1/4" double-coil spring washer between the headlight pod and the body. I bought some from Rimmer Bros. as a Triumph part recently, but they should be easily available. They stop the pod from rattling around and keep it centralised so you get an even gap around the pod. I supect they also contribute to slowing down the self-unscrewing of the screws, especially if you put one under the head of the screw inside the pod.
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: peterexpart » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:25 pm

Thank you both for replies, I have gone with Un-Threaded Bobbins in Headlamps, Threaded Bobbins Either Side and White Nylon Penny Washer / Shims either side between the Body and the Headlight Shells to centralise and Nylock Nuts on all 4 Securing Bolts. Was a bitch of a job getting Nuts on the Outside ones, but hopefully will only have to do it once !!!!
PeterExpart
New Forest National Park
Hampshire UK
peterexpart
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:07 pm

all the original bobbins were threaded and no spacing washers used.
If your bobbins have untapped holes, then the threads have been stripped in the past and someone has then put normal bolts with spacers.
if threads get stripped imho i would put helicoils to return back to original
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Agreed. Mine are threaded in the pod and body. I've found it best to thread the bolt in through the pod, then in the body and before it bottoms out in the pod, dab some locktite on the threads. The threads are now locked in the pod and free to swivel in the body.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:57 am

Peter,
Did you drill out the bobbins in the pods to get rid of the threads?
Cheers,
Colin.

=
peterexpart wrote:Thank you both for replies, I have gone with Un-Threaded Bobbins in Headlamps, Threaded Bobbins Either Side and White Nylon Penny Washer / Shims either side between the Body and the Headlight Shells to centralise and Nylock Nuts on all 4 Securing Bolts. Was a bitch of a job getting Nuts on the Outside ones, but hopefully will only have to do it once !!!!
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:25 am

if the bobbins are not threaded normal bolts will wear the holes oval :shock: .
If the holes have been helicoiled, they will not wear and are better than original :mrgreen:
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: peterexpart » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:30 am

Colin
Yes I drilled the Threads out of the Pods, well I drilled out Two of them the other two were already Drilled !!
And as to the Bolts wearing the two Drilled Bobbins oval I think that would take approx. 20 years of normal use and If it did happen I would just make them larger and fit steel sleeves.
Plus with the threads drilled it is much easier to centralise the Pods with Nylon Spacers and you do not have Paint rubbing against Paint
PeterExpart
New Forest National Park
Hampshire UK
peterexpart
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:07 am

I had a look at 'Improving' this.

After several hours of playing, I concluded that the original was an exceptional piece of design; One of many that characterise the Elan. Simple cheap and effective.

Nothing 'Stupid' about it, and yes you have missed something simple and technical - There is a good post somewhere here that explains how they work.

Much clever than you think, using less components and easier to assemble.

peterexpart wrote:I do not understand why it was necessary to have the Stupid Long Screws passing thru two threaded Bobbins
There's your problem... right there!

If you just put the bolts in you can move to the next part of your restoration.....
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:47 pm

100 % AHM you beat me to it
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: