Twin Cam Engine value

PostPost by: Watership Down » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:38 pm

I have a twin cam engine with a weber head. It's just the engine no ancillary parts. I don't know the condition of it it has a 4 bolt flywheel engine is LPXXXXX cam cover is green. i am trying to get a feel for price as I may have to sell it. I will see if I can get a photo of it.
Watership Down
New-tral

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:27 pm

It depends on several factors.

1. Where are you?
2. What is the condition of the engine, e.g. rusty/seized, any rebores, regrinds, head shaved?

The good news is that it's obviously an old engine (4 bolt) & may be good for the racing guys.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:42 am

The green cam covers indicate that it is likely an early type 26 engine with the 1964 factory introduced optional stage 2 modification, cams and Webber jetting changes. If ordered from the factory they changed the cam cover colour from blue to green. I ordered the stage 2 kit in 1964 after my car was delivered - guess what I did with the cam cover? - painted it green. I still get asked about it by those who dont know.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:43 am

In the UK if the head can be re-used (not warped / rotted waterways/not over-skimmed) then it's around ?1500 ish. Otherwise it's a few hundred???s.

It would be best to take the head off, measure the thickness and how true it is, otherwise from a buyer's perspective it's best to assume that the head isn't re-usable or would need a lot of work to go again.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: