"Outlaw" 26R in Japan

PostPost by: EnfoKen » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:56 am

Here's another Elan that I photographed in Japan recently. I'm calling it an
"outlaw" 26R much like the outlaw Porsche 356's that are so popular. You'll
notice the 4 bolt wheels and very wide rear flares. The images don't do this car
justice, the level of preparation was very high. I'll have more on this car on my website
in a few days. Thanks -Ken.

EnfoKen
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:33 am

very nice indeed, so does Japan have the most elans of any country nowadays? great to see them out and about
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dodo_z » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:08 am

This 26r is having an interesting solution on the bulkhead I've never seen before.
dodo_z
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:11 am

Also a different air-supply solution.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:19 am

elansprint71 wrote:Also a different air-supply solution.

Indeed, well spotted, I think I would have missed it. It's been well thought out. I like the company name.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:25 am

Ken,

That looks to be a very nice Elan 8) , I know this is an Elan site, but did you get any photo's of the Europa next to the Elan ? That looks like it was from the same shop.

Always like to see other Lotus cars nicely turned out.

Doug.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:07 am

gordont wrote:very nice indeed, so does Japan have the most elans of any country nowadays? great to see them out and about

I have sold a lot of Elan part to guys in Japan and they usually have more than one example. One guy had an S2 and an S3 plis a Europa being rebuilt over here in the UK.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: EnfoKen » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:42 pm

dougweall wrote:Ken,

That looks to be a very nice Elan 8) , I know this is an Elan site, but did you get any photo's of the Europa next to the Elan ? That looks like it was from the same shop.

Always like to see other Lotus cars nicely turned out.

Doug.

Doug,
I did shoot some of that Europa but it was up against the tent and a tough location so I didn't get that many. There were many Europas
and I'll have a few images in my story.

Both sides of the inner wings of the Elan had air vents. I think I have close ups if anyone is interested.

Yes, Japan is Lotus "crazy" and its great to see. Most of the Lotus interest here in the USA is towards historic racing. You don't see too many classic Lotus on the road, let alone modified to this extent. I just picked up an S1 that I plan to turn into a 26R clone but I'm now torn between building an accurate 26R or more of a hotrod like this car. The owner of this car said the engine was a 2L alloy block, etc. I plan to head over to Technical Shop Happy later this year when I return to Japan. They are actually known for their Europa builds. http://www.technicalshophappy.com
I've thought about opening a similar business here in LA but I'm not sure the customer base is here.
http://thegaragista.com

Elan S2 26/4448
Elan S2 26/3924
Seven S2 SB1386
EnfoKen
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:02 pm

If you google the event or the company name it will lead you to a few pics of lots of interesting europas. [sorry I don't know how to link]
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:07 pm

AussieJohn wrote:. [sorry I don't know how to link]

Just copy and paste, Big man

Doug
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:40 pm

It looks like the 26R outlaw and there is a nice BRG coupe are both for sale. I can't read or translate Japanese and was wondering if they listed the price.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: arcangel » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:26 pm

Yes, Japan is Lotus "crazy" and its great to see. Most of the Lotus interest here in the USA is towards historic racing. You don't see too many classic Lotus on the road, let alone modified to this extent. I just picked up an S1 that I plan to turn into a 26R clone but I'm now torn between building an accurate 26R or more of a hotrod like this car. The owner of this car said the engine was a 2L alloy block, etc. I plan to head over to Technical Shop Happy later this year when I return to Japan. They are actually known for their Europa builds. http://www.technicalshophappy.com
I've thought about opening a similar business here in LA but I'm not sure the customer base is here.[/quote]

Ken,

When you go over to Technical Shop Happy, ask if they sell/ship items to the US. I would love get to get some of their products. I do not believe they a distributior here in the states.

Joji Tokumoto
arcangel
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Technical Shop Happy.............ahhh....I guess the title escapes me. Although I have noticed titles over there with fun, happy, jolly.........so maybe it is meant to enlighten the grumpy?

Being a Europa guy as well, some pics would be "happy" to see...............

There are shops in California but they seem to be in the Northern end of the state. When early Lotus cars get as hot as early 911's are now.........I reckon a shop or two may pop up in SoCal. I hope so. Getting a little old to do my own work........like I ever knew how to do it correctly in the first place.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:20 am

Noticing the lack of an oil fill cap on the valve covers, I assume this engine was dry sumped. Any chance you got a look at his sump design and location? I was thinking of converting my road car, but couldn't figure out where to locate the sump so it didn't take up space in the interior or block the air flow of the radiator.
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:07 pm

When my Elan was twincam powered (many years ago) I made a 2 gallon dry sump tank and located it in the boot and steel supply and return tubes (pushed through rubber tubes to insulate from exhaust heat) were fixed under the car. Worked very will keeping the approx 200bhp motor lubricated and cool.

Only place in the front would have been in the nose blocking air flow and not helping with weight distrubution.

As an aside, I fitted a fuel sender in the tank so it was easy to monitor the level.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: