Most Radical Elan

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:00 pm

These devices were not uncommon when "Modsports" and "Thundersports" categories were racing in the UK. The cars had virtually nothing in common with what they were supposed to have been developed from. One of the best I saw, back then, (when photographing for the sports mags) was the DFVW, which was a Formula 2 car, with an ex-F1 DFV engine, covered by a VW Variant fastback fibre-glass body about 300mm (two feet) lower than the road car VW. :shock:

These devices had no class to run in for maybe 25 years , so either were cut up, or thrown in a shed. Over the last couple of years there have been moves made to resurrect the "modified" categories (because the grandstands are empty) as no-one in their right mind wants to watch 1990's Golfs/Sciroccos/Honda thingy's or Subaru wotsits trundling around..
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:34 pm

You are right, we used to also have these awesome modsports cars running here in
Australia many, many years ago, they provided a spectacular form of motor
racing and the fans just loved them, they were far more spectacular than the boring parade
we see today of V8 Super cars... fast yes... spectacular no....

Two very notable cars that come to mind of that era are the;
Tony Edmondson Alfa Romeo Alfetta V8
and the Bryan Thompson, Peter Fowler Chev-powered 450SLC Merc.
Sorry if that's a bit off topic, but felt that needed to be added.
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:10 am

elansprint71 wrote: One of the best I saw, back then, (when photographing for the sports mags) was the DFVW, which was a Formula 2 car, with an ex-F1 DFV engine, covered by a VW Variant fastback fibre-glass body about 300mm (two feet) lower than the road car VW. :shock:

Oh, yes Pete,

This was one of my favourites.....

http://www.pacerleisure.co.uk/DAF/main.html
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:03 am

We had similalr racing in Australia in the 70's called "Sports Sedans" my favorite was Hillman Imp with a V8 in the back seat.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:57 am

Run Baby Run

Dave Brodie

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear