Lotus Elan S2 1965 26/4360

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Etienne 7 wrote:Hello Alan,
After the incident, I am sure now that when I bought the car, the front spring was not fitted. Stupid mistake from me as I took the road without checking that :( . There is no way the bonnet can fly by itself with the spring fitted, it may lift if the front clamps are not doing their job, but not take off as mine did.
I heard since that some people don't fit the spring as it may distord the bonnet: no need to tell you what I think about that after what happened to me........
However, maybe the spring does not have to be as powerful as the ones that happen to distord the bonnet. That's an open debate and I am no expert on that.
Cheers,

S1 and S2 (aka type 26) have a pair of springs that pull down near the bonnet glides on the sides in the front. what you are talking about are the Coupe's and later S3 and S4 DHC. This topic talks about the correct springs that you need to use. Much of this forum is for the later Elans and they are quite a bit different and to read and take the advice of those with the type 36 and type 45 will give you lots of problems.

elan-f14/and-bonnet-springs-t19388.html

Rod asked about it not long ago too

elan-f14/bonnet-springs-t25705.html
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:12 pm

piss-ant wrote:
Etienne 7 wrote:Hello Alan,
After the incident, I am sure now that when I bought the car, the front spring was not fitted. Stupid mistake from me as I took the road without checking that :( . There is no way the bonnet can fly by itself with the spring fitted, it may lift if the front clamps are not doing their job, but not take off as mine did.
I heard since that some people don't fit the spring as it may distord the bonnet: no need to tell you what I think about that after what happened to me........
However, maybe the spring does not have to be as powerful as the ones that happen to distord the bonnet. That's an open debate and I am no expert on that.
Cheers,

S1 and S2 (aka type 26) have a pair of springs that pull down near the bonnet glides on the sides in the front. what you are talking about are the Coupe's and later S3 and S4 DHC. This topic talks about the correct springs that you need to use. Much of this forum is for the later Elans and they are quite a bit different and to read and take the advice of those with the type 36 and type 45 will give you lots of problems.

elan-f14/and-bonnet-springs-t19388.html

Rod asked about it not long ago too

elan-f14/bonnet-springs-t25705.html

Gary,
well pointed out. I still have a lot to learn about the early cars.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: phillipcoombs » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:11 am

regarding bonnet springs in the series 2. There are two holes each side of chassis rail. One spring per side. Is there a clip of sorts that bolts to the rail and that forms an attachment point for the spring?
phillipcoombs
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Etienne 7 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:38 am

Cheers Gary! Expertise on early car is much appreciated! I have to learn it all :D

Regards,
Etienne 7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Morangles » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi Etienne,

Sorry to hear about your bonnet, but I'm sure getting a replacement won't be too much of a problem, and once it is properly fitted, you will not lose it again.
Susan Miller writes in her parts guide "you'd be surprised how many Elan owners have ended up with their bonnets in the hedge!" So if it's any comfort you're not the only one!

I recently bought a series 3 Elan DHC and drove it all the way back from Sweden to Paris (there is a photo report under "Driving across Europe") and had a great time.

At least with your experience you have probably like me already got to know your car really well. I am looking forward to seeing more pictures when you get the bonnet replacement.
Best wishes

Philip
Morangles
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Etienne 7 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Hello Philip,

I read your adventure with much interest!

No worries about the bonnet, I am very happy to have bought the car and I am sure I will enjoy it as soon as it is repaired. Like you, driving such a long journey made me discover the car pretty quickly! Cruising at 3000rpm at 70mph/110km/h in 5th gear was fantastic. That really showed me the potential of such a car and I am sure I will enjoy it for long drives discovering the world with it! (starting by Europe hey, I'm adventurous but not crazy :) )

All the best,

Etienne
Etienne 7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Etienne 7 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:26 am

Work of the week:
- 1 new fuel tank in aluminium from Andy Wiltshire,
- 1 new fuel sender unit found at SpeedyCables in Swansea (ref TB9013/KIT)

Fitting the sender on the tank was very easy. Only the arm of the sender has to be adjusted (shortened) to fit inside the tank.

To find the good sender, it was necessary to have the fuel gauge reference. Mine is BF22226/00. You can read that on the dial, it's in small writing. Mine is apparently from MGB/Midget from around 1972/1977. I know that it is not original, but for the moment, my aim is to have things working. The main difference to the original one is that this one is a bit more "clever" due to progress: it has a bit more inertia so the fuel level does not jump constantly at the rythm of the fuel in the tank.

I did this change because my old fuel tank made the boot stincky, lots of fuel smells. The tank seemed original. Until now, I had no fuel level indication, as the sender did not match the gauge :? .

Once fitted in the car, it all should work!

Cheers,
Etienne 7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:59 am

It would be interesting To Know the weight saving between the oem tank and Andy ?s aluminium One.
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Etienne 7 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:19 am

Hi C?dric !
I hope you're well.
I can weigh the old one if you want, but the new one is now in use full of fuel and in the car :mrgreen: !
Cheers,
Etienne
Etienne 7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:04 am

Yep weight thee ol ?tank, then we Will ask Andy To weight One of his aluminium ones...
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Etienne 7 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:58 pm

And off we go again !!

My car has been under massive surgery over the last few months (from end of September till beginning of May). The aim was to have it legal again. All the modifications done in the 70s (Alfa Romeo engine and gearbox) were not legal at all. Also, it was depreciating a lot the value of the car.

The funny thing is that the outside looks exactly the same as before. However, its insides changed completely:
- new chassis (lotus kind)
- new twincam engine (bye bye Alfa Romeo!)
- new gearbox (bye bye 5th gear)
- new rear suspension
- new heater installed

I drove it for 150km two weeks ago and it was very very nice! Next step for me is to drive it back from France to Bristol where I live. I'll do that during the 24hrs of Le Mans so I'll stop on the way to hopefully see Porsche win. Itinerary: Tours, Le Mans, Caen/Ouistreham, Portsmouth, Bristol!

Ciao !

Elan.jpg and
Etienne 7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Tue May 13, 2014 10:47 am

We'll done and enjoy the drive!
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue May 13, 2014 10:54 am

Looking very good, and well done for putting it back the way it should be.

Just needs to be right hand drive now for perfection :lol:

Where was that photo taken? It looks like my old playground in Clifton Village?

Have fun with the car, and bring it along to the Castle Combe event if you're free on Saturday 24th May.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Etienne 7 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:08 pm

Nope, the picture was taken near Tours in France where my parents live.

This one below was taken in Clifton though 8)

Lotus Elan in Clifton.jpg and
Etienne 7
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: