How to access the locatones mounting bolts?

PostPost by: collins_dan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:01 pm

I replaced with a button head socket screw, which with the narrow springs allows for the removal of the entire strut assembly in one piece.
Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:13 pm

collins_dan wrote:I replaced with a button head socket screw, which with the narrow springs allows for the removal of the entire strut assembly in one piece.
Dan

I hate to be a nervous nellie but button head socket screws are very weak. If you section one along its axis you will see there is not much material between the bottom of the recess for the wrenching key and the intersection of the screw shank and underside of the head. I used to work in industrial robots and we imposed a rule of never using these screws after suffering several breakages. There are several types of reduced head hex- and 12-point cap screws that might give you the same access but with a lot more strength.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:08 pm

I Will get his point tomorrow morning. Anyway i gav? him 2 fast roads rear springs. So the springs have to be removed anyway...
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:10 pm

The acute accent on the E in gav? made me laugh :D

I know its just your azerty keyboard but for a moment I had visions of you forcing the springs down his throat like a duck being fattened for fois gras :lol: :lol:

Mind you thats exactly what you might end up doing if he carries on with the daft questions!
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:16 pm

The problem might be free nuts not soldered anymore on top of the spyder turret, hence turning loose and making impossible to unscrew.... Ca?t wait to discover what is the problem
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:42 am

In my coupe, I took out the rear window and the parcel shelf to get at the damper nuts, so perhaps the nuts of the lotocone are accessible that way.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:13 am

The nuts are held captive with weld at the time of manufacture.

If they have had the welds broken, then I would be afraid of what else has been done :cry:
lotocone nuts are welded in place.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:11 am

Tank you for That very last picture. Seen from the top, my spyder turret do not look Like this! There is a Red plate part of the turret which cover the top around the locotone. It is part of the ch?ssis obviously it is even With a rounded shape to leave a hole for the locotone top and access to the castelated nut... The nuts are absolutely not accessible Like on your pic.
And my mech told me One of the nut is not soldered anymore for s?re.

He is Thinking of taking off the rear window to gain better access. H? will have to cut the fiber to ease the work but the problem of That plate cover design on top of my rear turret remain. I have a pic to show but i can't post from my phone. I CAN send it to an email adress if someone is willing to help
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:47 am

I still believe you need a new mechanic. The Strut needs to be dropped with the undoing of the central nut on the strut/shock If indeed the captive/welded nuts are free then they heads can be ground off and the lotocone removed.

you may want to read Dan's topic on what he had done to fix the bent turrets on his stock chassis. some of it may apply to you, without photos it is tough to say much of anything with any certainty as you may not be dealing with anything that is stock Elan or Spyder for that mater.

the solution is on the third page of the topic.
elan-f15/why-compress-rear-suspension-remove-t24347.html
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: