Driving across Europe

PostPost by: Morangles » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:11 am

I have recently acquired a Lotus Elan S3 which for the moment is in Sweden.

I am debating whether or not to drive the car back to Paris which is where I live, which is a distance of about 1,300 kilometres.

So before I decide what to do, I have a couple of questions.
First, do you think I should attempt to drive all the way (The car has had a recent engine overhaul, and has new tyres)?

Second, if the answer to this question is "yes", what should I take with me (tool kit, engine oil, hammer, bottles of water for the radiator etc)?

The reason I am asking is because finding a transporter to carry the car for me is not working out to be very easy, and I really want to get it back asap.

Plus, of course if there is anything else you think I ought to be aware of then I would be very grateful as I am fairly ignorant about the pros and cons of driving a long way in a Lotus Elan.

Thanks very much.
Morangles
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:40 am

Yes you should. It would be a great way to get to know your car. If I were to do this I would avoid the autoroutes and go cross country, stopping at likely looking spots for coffee, lunch and tea.

Take a mobile phone and credit card! Join a vehicle recovery organisation like Green Flag and you will have insurance should you break down permanently. What tools and spares to keep in the car has been discussed before on here.

Sounds like a fun drive!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:04 am

Salut Morangles

Congratulations on your new member of the family!

Unlike Tim I wouldn't risk driving such a distance in an old car I didn't know nor 'soign?'.

Try GEFCO for the transport - I got a Plus 2 transported from Belgium to Lyon two years ago for 300? - probably cheaper than the petrol I would have had to put in. Here's the guy to contact:

[email protected]

Don't hassle him (he doesn't like it) and you need to be flexible for a low price. It's not their main job - he fills consignments as a favour to classic car owners.

Whichever way take your time. I know the French have a reputation of taking a date back to their pad on the first date, but old English gals don't always appreciate the rush :)

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:00 am

Vernon, where's you sense of adventure? The car sounds as if it is a runner, the summer is here - apparently - the Elan is designed for driving!

If you have a look at some other marques you can find adventurous journeys being undertaken often and the stories they generate are many and varied. I find them enjoyable reading. The Frazer Nash guys often carry out European raids in their eighty year old cars. Fettling by the roadside is part of the fun of ownership for them.

I understand that Morangles is picking up what for him is an untried car but still believe he would have a great wee holiday driving the Elan and getting to know it. I hope he does and reports back on here!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:15 am

I cannot believe Verons suggestion!! He must be getting old!! :wink:

I do up to 4500 miles in a holiday and carry 2ltrs oil, 2 litres water for drinking/topping up, basic tool kit of spanners and sockets (1/4 drive to save space) and the jack and wheel hammer.

Buy insurance cover that includes European wide recovery - all the good ones in UK do this as the norm.

Go for it and enjoy it - it is only 800 miles and you will have SUCH fun - do short 200 mile legs and enjoy the food and wine en-route.

PS you have bought the best Elan there is - the S3. All it needs is black bumpers..............running for cover again................
Last edited by bast0n on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:17 am

Of course, just do it. Drive it around for 10kms near to where you buy it. If it doesn`t break down then, why would it in the next 10 or the 10 after, and so on.
With inexpensive breakdown insurance there`s nothing to lose.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:52 am

Hi all,
Sure Morangles should do it ...
Its car and its description say it ll be able to join Paris...
Before that , he ll contract a strong insurance/assistance, put some silver duct tape , wire, 2-3 Colson , a bottle of water/coolant, oil, and a set of tools, including a locking plier, some grease for bearing in the boot... if he need a lucky charms assortment!
But, most important, he ll have to tell us how he make it... with pictures, please!
Christian. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Old English White on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jas » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:11 am

Hi Morangles

Congratulations with your new car.

You could also drive it to Hamburg and take the Autozug from there to M?nchen.
We did that one year and it was a good trip and it lets you sleep through most of the autobahn,
witch is best avoided any way.
www.autozug.de

Keep an eye on the temperature gage and water level.

If you have any trouble on your way through Denmark let me know,
I or some body from the Danish Lotus club will be glad to help you.
You are also welcome to just stop by to say hi, I live near Copenhagen.
PM sent with contact details.

Hope you have a great trip.
Jannik
1969 S4-SE DHC
Eat one live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:01 am

The problem being that here in France the breakdown recovery insurance that we are all so used to in the UK just doesnt exist, granted what we have is much cheaper, you could even say free as it comes with the car insurance but it will only get your car to the nearest garage and then you are in their hands.

From some of the horror stories that I have been involved with I would say that the garages dont get paid but they in fact pay the breakdown companies for their supply of victims.

ADAC.de should be able to offer you the equivalent of the UK recovery service.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Morangles,

In the words of Nike "Just Do It!" I have purchased a Lotus Seven, Europa Special, Elan M100 and an Elan Plus 2 from over 1,000 miles away in each case (the 7 was 1,350 miles away and RHD) here in America and made it home with EVERY one. Not without some "issues" though in each case they were solvable with basic tools and some ingenuity. All of them were unknown to me until I sat in them. The M100 was driven through a blizzard in Wyoming that closed the roads! That was harrowing and called for an unplanned overnight stop but that was all.

As David says, you will get to know your car and have a story to tell. Take photos and let us know how it goes. If you post a tentative route and schedule, I'll bet some other volunteers like Jannik will offer support or a place to stay.

In 2010, I took the Elan and Seven over 4,100 miles each and I am planning a trip this fall from Colorado to Orlando Florida a nearly 5,000 mile round trip so I not only encourage you to do it, I have done it and plan to do more.

Please do something adventurous for yourself in this nearly risk free world we usually inhabit. :mrgreen:
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: quaybook » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:21 pm

If the car still has rotoflex couplings I'd jack it up and check their condition carefully before leaving. While your under there, check tightness of the starter motor bolts as well. I'd also take a spare carb side engine mount with me, on my car they seem to be consumables, new ones can last as little as a couple of thousand miles if they are not the heavy duty type. Having said all of that, if the car has been looked after you should be fine and you will love the drive if you avoid the autoroutes and take your time and use the fun roads. Enjoy!

Vernon
Elan S2 26/5614
Alfa Romeo Alfetta Berlina 1974
Westfield 7SE
quaybook
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: racy7 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:35 pm

Morangles
go for it
when I bought my S4 5 years ago it was in Edinburgh and had not been driven much for the previous 15 years but it was a good runner. I drove it all the way back to luxembourg and it did not miss a beat.
At this time of year the car just has to be enjoyed
racy7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Allison » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:50 pm

Morangles,

hi, in a car you know, that drive is quite short - we've recently got back from a 4,000 mile trip from East Anglia to Varna on the Bulgarian Black Sea. If you have the facility to check the car before setting out and you are happy that you can spot problems - then go ahead and enjoy it.

If you don't know the car and don't trust your mechanical ability then transport it and enjoy it later once you're happy that its all ok. You didn't say what state the car was in - has it been driven much in the last year or has it stood still and been polished? One that's been driven is more likely to be ok. It would be sad if there were problems on your first trip and you were to lose faith in the car. Are you traveling with someone else who could tow you if needed (not much use if for example the rear wheel bearings seized)?

Once you've got it home then drive it! We go to far away places and pack a very full list of spares - but spares are like insurance; you have them so you don't need them!

Peter
Allison
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DeanG » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:38 pm

In the USA the national club "Lotus Ltd" has a roster of people who will help out a fellow club member in distress. It is a great comfort to know that you can pick up the telephone and find someone who is willing to help out.

Enjoy your new car. Whatever you do, please post pictures.
DeanG
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Morangles » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:47 am

I am quite overwhelmed by the encouragement and the solidarity you have all expressed, so thank you all very much!

I contacted Gefco (thank you Vernon) but they only ship cars between Belgium and France and have no outlets in either Sweden or Germany. A pity, but there it is.

Reading through all of your comments, I feel more encouraged to drive the Lotus back myself, as this would probably work out cheaper and above all be more exhilarating than asking a carrier to bring it for me! There are two possibilities, either on August 20th, or on September 8th. The latter date is probably easier for me, although the downside is that I have to wait another month to see my new acquisition!!

Anyway, I promise I shall post some photos. In the meantime (and just to wet your appetites) below is a link to a film made by the vendor. And yes, I agree the wing mirrors are awful!

Philip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UAZATWN30o
Morangles
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: