Page 1 of 1

Lost Title services

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:27 am
by gearbox
Has anyone have any recent experience in getting a lost title from one of these lost title services in the US? Needless to say I don't believe this to be an uncommon situation based on the age of these cars and the occasional barn finds we uncover, but I understand it is getting more difficult. I live in NJ and believe Broadway Title services cannot offer any assistance in this state for some unknown reason, but others don't seem to have this issue. I use to get titles taken care of from providers in NH or RI which do not issue titles, but with a bill of sale and a VIN tracing they will allow you to register the car and give you a transferrable registration. Not sure if this still works as the last time I did this was over ten years ago. Looking for providers, cost, and timing, Thanks Allan

Re: Lost Title services

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:38 am
by elanfan1
Is there any reason why you could not get a letter from the Lotus Archivist (who posts on here occasionally under 'Lotus Archives') so you would have direct evidence regarding the VIN, then a Bill of Sale from the previous owner should not be a problem?

Re: Lost Title services

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:17 pm
by Bud English
Allan- Sometimes even the title services can be no help. Some states are apparently overwhelmed by the number of cars they have registered. I'm the second owner of my car and had it registered in California from 1978 until I made it non op in 82. Over the years the title has gone missing. When I contacted California for a replacement I was told they have no record of the car. Even supplying them with the registration and license plate (still have it) information was no help. They dispose of all record of a vehicle five years after it's last registration expires.

Fortunately I still have my import paperwork from bringing it back from the UK in '78 and Nevada will issue me a title based on that and an inspection of the VIN on the car.

Re: Lost Title services

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:15 pm
by cal44

If it were me, I would seek out the smartest person in your area that does this for a living and also comes to the house. Go to collector car companies and find out who they use. You'll find them....may take a little hunting.
I found our guy by asking the big boat owners who they used.

There is a difference between these businesses that register cars. Some are "on it" others not so much.

Here in San Diego there is a guy that comes to the house and is state certified as a California state Vin inspector.

It is a darn site cheaper to have him here as to going to the DMV.

Pay the extra for the service.........for your piece of mind.