Unobtainable Lotus Elan Parts

PostPost by: Aggudabbu » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:10 am

gearbox wrote:Hello all;

I hope to soon to be a new Elan owner (this month) and will be looking at 7 Elans in various states of disrepair. All the cars are either a S3 or S4. So the question I have is, are there any parts, mechanical or cosmetic, that is no longer being made and near impossible or ungodly expensive to get? This way I can I can steer away from those particular cars. Thanks Allan

Hey Allan,

Where and how did you find as many as 7 Elan projects at once? Are there really that many over at your side of the pound? I'm currently also looking but here they're scarce.
Aggudabbu
New-tral

PostPost by: simonknee » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:48 am

nebogipfel wrote:
simonknee wrote:So if I average 100,000 miles a year you are guaranteeing me 400,000 miles?! :lol:

:D :D :D As a parts dealer yes I would! Since you'd be spending a fortune with me all year long :D :D :D
Simon
'67 S3 FHC 36/7002
'69 +2 50/1370 (stolen '00)
simonknee
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:24 pm

As I have said before Brian Bucklands book is the bees knees - you will need little else.

Contact him on [email protected] or order through Club Lotus. He advertises in the Club Lotus magazine and if you don't belong to the club, you should.
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:58 pm

bast0n wrote:As I have said before Brian Bucklands book is the bees knees - you will need little else.

Contact him on [email protected] or order through Club Lotus. He advertises in the Club Lotus magazine and if you don't belong to the club, you should.

Hi David, Brain actually PM'ed me and gave me his US distributor's email to contact. I initially tried Amazon and they said it was out of print but offered one for $500 used. I was outbid on one on ebay not too long ago and I had searched the net but was not able to come up with anything. Surprising that if the book is still available it was so hard for me to find. Even the distributor Brain gave me does not have a working website. But I hope Foster emails me back soon so I can order the book. All I need now is the Factory manual and I'm good to go.

Now that has been addressed, back to unobtainable parts. To make it simple, are there certain parts that are no longer made and no longer have a viable substitute? The rear glass on the pre air flow coupe sounds like a contender but don't think I will come across one of those anytime soon. But things like the window frame would interest me. Thanks Allan
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:00 pm

gearbox wrote:..........But things like the window frame would interest me. Thanks Allan

As classic cars go the Elan is very well supplied with replacement parts.

Window frames do sometimes surface on the secondhand market but if I was looking at a S3-4 which did not have them it would put me off buying the car. That said, providing the frames are present they can be rechromed and the bottom part which supports the window mechanism can be badly rusted but is available to buy.

There are not too many parts which cannot be located, it helps of course if you are not in a hurry and they can be sourced at leisure.

If you accept some loss of originality and that some modern parts are not up to the standard of originals then the Elan is an easy car to restore.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richboyd » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:24 pm

I agree with twin cam man. You can get almost anything for an Elan. Not 100%, but 95%.
Like Chaucer said: "You can't always get what you want, but ... you can get what you need."
richboyd
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:09 pm

Damn, you mean to tell me after all these years that it wasn't Jagger / Richards?
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:20 am

richboyd wrote:I agree with twin cam man. You can get almost anything for an Elan. Not 100%, but 95%.
Like Chaucer said: "You can't always get what you want, but ... you can get what you need."

OK, the consensus is that everything is available if you have the time and money which is great news. But I like to continue this post and ask, what are the parts that would fall into the "ungodly" priced parts. Steering wheels with Colin's signature, S1 &2 Horn pushes, weber heads, etc.
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: simonknee » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:45 am

Simon
'67 S3 FHC 36/7002
'69 +2 50/1370 (stolen '00)
simonknee
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 0005K » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:58 pm

I bought the Brian Buckland book earlier this year from Foster Cooperstein of Tottenham Lane Motoring Literature in Newton Mass.
Dick
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:16 pm

Deleted double post.
Last edited by stugilmour on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Deleted double post.
Last edited by stugilmour on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

0005K wrote:I bought the Brian Buckland book earlier this year from Foster Cooperstein of Tottenham Lane Motoring Literature in Newton Mass.
Dick

I did as well Dick. Great book and wish I had it while doing the major work on my car, even though it does not cover the Plus 2.

I think what Allan has found out is Foster's web site is presently NLA so he is unsure if he can get in touch. I tried the link Foster posted here and had the same difficulty. Perhaps someone in the NE has alternate contact info they could PM to Allan? Last info I have is from 2010 and also lists his location in Newton Centre MA.

business-listings-f3/lotus-books-and-more-t21295.html

http://www.totlanebooks.com

Allan, I took a quick look at the Buckland list of Elan unobtainium and it didn't look too daunting in terms of selecting a resto candidate. For evaluation of the seven :shock: candidate cars I would also recommend concentrating on their basic completeness and frame/body condition to help with selection.

Welcome aboard and good luck in your search.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:43 pm

Dollar for dollar, Buy the best body you can, condition of the paint is important for most folks as you can loose a lot of money (and time) getting that done. That said the chassis condition comes next, and third is the crash pad. After that, its all easy :) . If the steering wheel and shift knob are original thats good too but I wouldn't put those items high on my list. Good seats are probably more important than the wheel and knob, shipping large items are going to cost you. Gauges and switches are high on my list, again higher than the wheel and knob. There are great after market stuff available for that stuff that you hold so don't let these items deter you. Engine and gearbox can get expensive to have done by someone other than yourself, get a runner if you can. I think you were looking for one of those late model Elans if I remember right. Best of luck :D

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:53 pm

I bought Brian Buckland's amazing manual from Waterstone's on-line shop last year. It cost ?50 and is worth at least double that. My Sprint FHC is also all in pieces, and some pieces are missing or need replacing. Brian's book is essential if you are building an Elan in my opinion. But I do have a Colin Chapman steering wheel.... Happy days :lol: :lol:
Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: