Under restoring?

PostPost by: Elan45 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:41 pm

A deer is what it took for me to do a whole lot of new at one time.

I remember driving home from the accident and wondering if this might be the last time I would drive her. I hadn't talked to the insurance company yet, and there was a great unknown. Now, 2-1/2 years later, I started her yesterday and if nothing leaks today, we will take our first drive together again.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Elan45 wrote:A deer is what it took for me to do a whole lot of new at one time.

I remember driving home from the accident and wondering if this might be the last time I would drive her. I hadn't talked to the insurance company yet, and there was a great unknown. Now, 2-1/2 years later, I started her yesterday and if nothing leaks today, we will take our first drive together again.

Roger

Best of luck! I hope it all goes well.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:09 pm

piss-ant wrote:When I got 26/4597 (LHD) it was burnt around the right hand foot box and wing top from a weber carb fire. I repaired the fiberglass damage (cut a corrugated cardboard box up for the foot box and glassed over it) and did a quickie engine rebuild (cylinder hone scuff, re-ring and valve lapping, gaskets) and gave it a very thin dark flat gray coat (a quart of primer doesn't go far) and drove it for a few weeks. The windscreen was cracked and couldn't get a replacement and it was off the road after a 100 miles until I got the right screen (two attempts, don't order an screen for an S2 for a type 26).I may have had the first rat Elan in 1976. Fast forward 36 years and Tingles ex C Prod race body is going to be another go at the rat scene. I think I am going with a semi-gloss black from Rust-oleum. :D

Gary

I was reading last night, I came across another article on using Rustoleum and thining with mineral spirits and applying with a foam roller.
http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master ... paint.html
which had a link to another post (well it's a bit more than a post) its 43 pages of replies to how to get an inexpensive paint job. I spent from about 6 till 10 reading and picked up this morning and read another 2 hours till I got to page 26 or so.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... art=1&vc=1

I am not ready to commit to anything yet but I thought today would be a good day to see what its about. I didn't have any mineral spirits so I used what I had and that was acetone and I didn't have much of a choice as to what color but I had some Rustoleum gloss black so I looked around for a suitable test piece that I didn't care about and saw the boot lid from 26/4597 sitting out side for the last almost 10 years. I thought "perfect" and took a look and it seemed ok and got the stand and gave it a wet sanding with 220 wet paper. It dried pretty quickly and I mixed about 110 grams of Gloss Black with 15 grams of Acetone and dumped it in the "astro" gravity paint gun and let it do its thing. right off the bat I noticed a couple of suck-ins, the part was not throughly filled but I didn't care, within seconds I had 2 bugs land and get stuck I put it in the garage to dry. Later I'll wet sand and give it another coat. I don't know if it will work or what it will look like but at $10 a quart its worth a bit of time to see. If it works out alright it will be the first Elan I have had with black bumpers. :D

uroprime boot lid.JPG and

gloss black wet first coat.JPG and

4:15 pm

Flip side painted

boot lid underside p and p.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: