Finally - 2 1/2 years later the Elan is finished.

PostPost by: dpchamp87 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:32 pm

Ross

Some UK sprints did have Webers so why not!

Dan

The doors were cut and re-glassed. They were out about a half inch before.

David
dpchamp87
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:18 am

Super job!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:21 am

David

Looks like you've put in a lot of hard work on your car, well done.

Can I just be clear that your car is actually an S4 that you have Sprinted? Thanks

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:58 am

trw99 wrote:David

Looks like you've put in a lot of hard work on your car, well done.

Can I just be clear that your car is actually an S4 that you have Sprinted? Thanks

Tim

Maybe this topic will help you out Tim.

1970 Elan S4 SE DHC ground up
post113455.html#p113455

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:30 am

Hi Gary

Yep, I did re-read that thread before I posted, however the photos David had posted (the 'before' ones) are no longer available.

Shouldn't you be fast asleep?!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:43 am

David,
Lovely job, it's really satisfying to see a successful restoration and I'm pleased you decided to put your own mark on the car and make it how you wanted it rather than listen to the armchair restorers who would have you make it the way it left the factory. There is something very appealing (to me) about the Sprint colour schemes in all their variations, it doesn't seem to matter what colour you choose just so long as the bumpers are gold and the rest of the car is white below those gold stripes. I'm sure that you will cherish this car for many years to come; if you keep it on the button it will still look this good in 20 years time.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your coupe in the next few years perhaps?

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:35 am

Hi Gary

Sorry I missed coming back to you on numbers of coupes. I've just done a quick count and make it 541 Sprint FHCs. So if we add your figure of around 2300, as well as an allowance for the Apr 70 to Jan 71 period, which I calculate to be 350 in round figures, we get to a rounded figure of approximately 3200 coupe Elans all in.

Like you, my preference is for the DHC - I like the wind in my hair!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dpchamp87 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:42 pm

The car is indeed a late 1970 S4 SE 'converted' to Sprint spec. When I bought the car it had the big valve motor already installed.

Originally I was looking at an S4 SE FHC in Detroit which was completely original and had done 25,000 miles. The idea was to do a restoration to original specs. with no modern updates. However the more I thought about it, bearing in mind that I do drive my cars, it just did not seem to make sense. Lucas starters, points, control boxes; plastic clutch pipes running next to the exhaust, otter switches and generators all seemed to be reasons to break down and I did enough of that in the days when I ran 2 Elans on a shoestring in the 70's!

I know there are many on the board who may disagree but what I have done is taken a very scruffy (but matching numbers/original chassis) S4 SE and extended its life by hopefully many decades. Resale value does not matter as I am not selling!

David
dpchamp87
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:31 am

dpchamp87 wrote:The car is indeed a late 1970 S4 SE 'converted' to Sprint spec. When I bought the car it had the big valve motor already installed.

Originally I was looking at an S4 SE FHC in Detroit which was completely original and had done 25,000 miles. The idea was to do a restoration to original specs. with no modern updates. However the more I thought about it, bearing in mind that I do drive my cars, it just did not seem to make sense. Lucas starters, points, control boxes; plastic clutch pipes running next to the exhaust, otter switches and generators all seemed to be reasons to break down and I did enough of that in the days when I ran 2 Elans on a shoestring in the 70's!

I know there are many on the board who may disagree but what I have done is taken a very scruffy (but matching numbers/original chassis) S4 SE and extended its life by hopefully many decades. Resale value does not matter as I am not selling!

David

Sweet, my sentiment is very similar. I guess oneday I may own an original. Maybe I do and don't know it, I forget sometimes.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:58 am

dpchamp87 wrote:SNIP

Resale value does not matter as I am not selling!

David

David,
My sentiments exactly.

Enjoy your car.

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: