PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:26 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:Image
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:46 am

Mazzini wrote:
bast0n wrote:Mazzini, Gino, Casa

Such a pretty car. makes me want to paint my S2 white.

It really is a very pretty car - what luck.

Join the club of white Elan owners - you know it makes sense :wink:

And I won't even mention black bumpers and clear indicator lenses.................Oh damn - too late :roll:

David

Anarchy Elan S3

In Montefalco in honour of our Italian friends.

Italy2007 (57).JPG

That is very kind of you, but I hail from north London. 'Louis Mazzini' or more formally The Duke of Chalfont was played by the late Dennis Price in Kind Hearts and Coronets, which is possibly the funniest film I have ever seen.

We all agree that white Elans look pretty, I don't really mind black bumpers or clear indicator lenses, but a lack of wheel arch indicators on an SE is unforgivable :)

REF club of white Elan owners:
Mine's white---underneath the pistachio, does that count?

Ref Under-Restoring:
I asked for my wheel arch indicators to be removed along with all the badges apart from the L O T U S does that count for under-restoring?

I really really like original cars, perhaps one day I will buy one, but I also really like the freedom that is available to us all; if we want it, to modify or change without the authorities or insurance companies getting all heavy with us (In the UK).

Tim showed me an original untouched apart from maintenance +2 (I think it was Russet in colour) at Donnington last year and tried to make a case for it to stay that way, it didn't float my boat but maybe it hit's the spot for others who are more heavily into nostalgia mixed with patina than I am. Nostalgia works for me, but patina is an oily smelly rough around the edges tainted with disapointment type of experience.

I found the following quote on the internet regarding originality, it pertains to plaigiarism within music composition, but may have some merit here.
Originality is a poor substitute for tangible boundaries among parcels of intellectual property because it is inherently unascertainable.

Regards all,
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:29 am

It's all good fun and to each his own and I think we all respect a persons right to do what they like to their own car...that said I still reserve the right to wind up David and he can still take the p*ss out of me for not having a S3 SE dhc in white.

I wouldn't dare drive one of your Spyder creations, I'd probably end up by wanting one and that would be too expensive.

It's Friday evening where I am and I'm off down the pub.

Gentlemen I wish you a good weekend or a presto as our Italian friends would say :D

Maybe I should add 'and still looking for that elusive S3 SE dhc in white' to my signature?
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:49 am

Spyder fan wrote: Originality is a poor substitute for tangible boundaries among parcels of intellectual property because it is inherently unascertainable

:?

Whatever that means, it is very well put! Who wrote it? Gordon ("Gobbledygook") Brown?

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:01 pm

ardee_selby wrote:
Spyder fan wrote: Originality is a poor substitute for tangible boundaries among parcels of intellectual property because it is inherently unascertainable

:?

Whatever that means, it is very well put! Who wrote it? Gordon ("Gobbledygook") Brown?

Richard

Off topic in reply to Richard,
Copyright, Culture & (and) Black Music: A Legacy of Unequal Protection; Greene, K. J.

On topic,
Restoration is expensive no matter what you are restoring, under restoring must be a bit cheaper!

Regards all,
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:20 pm

ardee_selby wrote:

Re-reading this over the top of beer glass number three, its starting to make perfect sense.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:23 pm

Mazzini - sorry you are not Italian!

We all agree that white Elans look pretty, I don't really mind black bumpers or clear indicator lenses, but a lack of wheel arch indicators on an SE is unforgivable

I suspect mine went through when Mr Chapman had one his regular shortage of bits. There is no wiring in the car for them, nor holes in the body. They also spoil the purity of line of an S3 that is soooo much purer than an S4 :wink:

I suspect that there are very few Elans of any breed out there that have all the bits intended - mix and match seemed to be the way they went. My first S3 had an S2 loom with bits added to suit!

David

Anarchy S3
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:44 pm

The word ascertain means to 'discover with certainty'.

In the above quotation, I assume the writer means unable to be verified. I say it is therefore the wrong word to use, since originality is generally known, as we would use it with regard to the way in which an Elan left the factory. True, I'm conveniently disregarding the fact that we can never be 100% certain about certain Lotus changes, fitments etc, though in this case I am being a little more general. And you could then say I was being pedantic in the first place! Again, true.

So I would take issue with the conjecture that 'originality is ... inherently unascertainable'. As far as 'tangible boundaries' and 'parcels of intellectual property' are concerned, reflecting our own case here, I assume the parcels to equate to Elans and the boundaries to an owners interpretation of their ideal Elan.

In short Alan, your quotation is over restored and looks wrong! :lol: But that's just my opinion and we are all entitled to those!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:07 pm

Tim,
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would never accuse you of being a pedant.

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:14 pm

In my view ascertain is a formal-sounding word. In informal contexts, it can sound pretentious and is best replaced with a more informal synonym.

Sectarian is an anagram of said word.......................... :lol:

Carry On drinking now Mazza!

David

Anarchy Elan S3
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:36 pm

I have discovered an under restored car on good old FleaBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270915185561?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619 the seller is known to me (ahem!) and I have made enquiries. It is a genuine DHC Sprint, I am waiting for the numbers to give to Tim. Any bets on what the winning bid will be? I think ?10,750........ There is a large basket and a case for all the parts included apparently :roll:

Apologies if this has already been spotted and reported elsewhere, but I though it fitting to add it here for discussion, derision or just general sectarianistic comments from all interested parties regardless of their restorative religion.

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Spyder fan
Apologies if this has already been spotted and reported elsewhere

Yup at 1220 today even....................... on this thread :roll:
Have a good weekend - literally and metaphorically

David

Anarchy Elan S3 ( and white for Mazza!)
Last edited by bast0n on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Apologies if this has already been spotted and reported elsewhere

Do stay awake in the back, there!

free-parking-f19/basket-case-elan-sprint-what-going-sell-for-t24615.html

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:30 pm

trw99 wrote:
Spyder fan wrote:Apologies if this has already been spotted and reported elsewhere

Do stay awake in the back, there!

free-parking-f19/basket-case-elan-sprint-what-going-sell-for-t24615.html

Tim

Yawn!

Sorry sir!

Will make sure I go out for a blast in the Super Sprint to clear the muzzy head :wink: No need to give me extra homework, my dog will only go and chew it up.

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:25 pm

I've been following this thread & associated "over-restored" thread with interest, so I thought I'd put my two-pennarth in.

When I was first looking for an Elan I wasn't particularly bothered if it had a Spyder chassis or original...if it was the original colour or not....etc etc.

However, I ended up being the 2nd owner of a Sprint which at the time had a genuine 29000 miles on it. It needed re-commissioning but wasn't a basket case by any means. Still, once I started appreciating the car I realised that I was, in many ways, the custodian of it. There was no point in ripping it to pieces to upgrade it.

Only now am I getting it resprayed, and even that was a decision I agonised over for at least 2 years !!!!

So in my 'umble opinion there is no such thing as an over-or-under restored car - there is just a car you like & are happy with.

Ramble over.

Regards
Richard.
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: