S3 Elan Basket case for sale

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:02 pm

[/quote]...and what were the "pepperpot" bonnet holes about?[/quote]

Monocle firmly affixed - How else does one bag a brace of Elans dontcha know?
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Mazzini wrote: Monocle firmly affixed - How else does one bag a brace of Elans dontcha know?

:lol:

I think you're right. Forensic tests on the scatter pattern has shown the same weapon was used on a bank job in Derbyshire! :shock:

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:20 pm

ardee_selby wrote:
Mazzini wrote: Monocle firmly affixed - How else does one bag a brace of Elans dontcha know?

:lol:

I think you're right. Forensic tests on the scatter pattern has shown the same weapon was used on a bank job in Derbyshire! :shock:

Richard[/quote

LOL! All the MK 1 LC boys are looking at their shoes at this point.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Leslie, ?s ? hopefully less, or no more, than someone will give me to take it off my hands. I don`t intend to restore it myself but I`ve done a pal a favour and though I feel I`ve paid too much, there are only ever going to be fewer projects available in the future. The value can`t go down, can it?
Any offers?
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Damn, I'm disappointed to hear you don't plan to restore it yourself. I was hoping to commiserate with you and hopefully learn a thing or a thousand.

I've got an option on a '64 S1/2 that is in similar but slightly better condition than yours and I'm considering undertaking it.

I'm about to start an "Am I crazy?" thread elsewhere.

Good luck with yours!
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:22 pm

jimj wrote:Leslie, ?s ? hopefully less, or no more, than someone will give me to take it off my hands. I don`t intend to restore it myself but I`ve done a pal a favour and though I feel I`ve paid too much, there are only ever going to be fewer projects available in the future. The value can`t go down, can it?
Any offers?
Jim

Over the last twenty-five years we've seen values go up and down... I hope you bought right and best of luck.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:47 pm

The holes seen on Jim's new acquisition are actually rather rare and undoubtedly add value to an Elan.

It is a little known fact that during the final months of 1967 the factory carried out some aerodynamic testing at Cranfield. As it happened Tony Rudd was there with his BRM colleagues at the same time and he and the Lotus guys got chatting, as you do. Rudd suggested that creating a disturbed airflow over the front surface of any body moving swiftly through the atmosphere had the effect of reducing drag by a factor of 12-16% He advocated the drilling of tiny holes in appropriate places and this was duly done on a number of development cars, including Elans. The modification became known as the Rudd-EL Modulation.

Unfortunately this brilliant piece of engineering never made it into series production for cost reasons; it was too expensive to have a man with a drill and a drop on the end of his nose going around making holes in brand new cars.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:19 pm

trw99 wrote:The holes seen on Jim's new acquisition are actually rather rare and undoubtedly add value to an Elan.

It is a little known fact that during the final months of 1967 the factory carried out some aerodynamic testing at Cranfield. As it happened Tony Rudd was there with his BRM colleagues at the same time and he and the Lotus guys got chatting, as you do. Rudd suggested that creating a disturbed airflow over the front surface of any body moving swiftly through the atmosphere had the effect of reducing drag by a factor of 12-16% He advocated the drilling of tiny holes in appropriate places and this was duly done on a number of development cars, including Elans. The modification became known as the Rudd-EL Modulation.

Unfortunately this brilliant piece of engineering never made it into series production for cost reasons; it was too expensive to have a man with a drill and a drop on the end of his nose going around making holes in brand new cars.

Tim

Are you sure that's "wholly" true? Groan...
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:38 am

Good morning Jim,

How's your head today, are you feeling better?

Re values and can they go down in price? Sure they can go down if you paid to much. But you are a sensible chap, and hopefully you didn't over pay even if you were helping out a mate.

I am certain that a few PMs will be winging their way to you as I type re taking it off your hands, but I shall not be sending one. Not brave enough. I think your mate had it about right when he valued it!

All the best,

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:41 am

Leslie, me "a sensible chap"? how nice.
Re. the shocking condition, my (sensible) view is that though nearly all the components will need replacing, if someone was doing a nut and bolt resto. they`d be replacing those anyway. A rusty old wishbone is worth no more than one that`s heavily corroded. The main advantage to this project, compared with the Sp. on ebay (most of the rint is missing) is that all the impossible to get bits are there.
If I can`t get my money back, and hopefully a small profit for my trouble, I`ll keep it as an heirloom. Lucky kids.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:29 pm

bast0n wrote:
David say nothing, there is nothing to add

Well if he paints it black with white bumpers we will truly know Jim is mad.............. :wink:

Well done Jim and the very best of luck.

Dave,

SNAP !

Couldn't resist this one !

You had better weather than us !

68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:54 am

I'd keep it Jim. As you say, that car won't cost much more than any other to restore...it's just showing its patina a little more!

You can add value to it for virtually nothing by giving it a good clean, and soaking all the metal bits with WD40. It's probably worth draining off the engine oil, and either filling with diesel or another cheapo oil, and maybe get the carbs off and into a bath of WD40, and some of the good stuff down the bores as well. Then just pick up some of the original bits and pieces that need replacing as and when, and at the right price....it soon becomes a very attractive project.

Foresight is a wonderful thing!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:19 am

Mark, yes I`m torn between, on the one hand, clearing out all the junk, re-vitalising the carbs, definitely filling the bores with oil, cleaning parts of the trim, etc. and on the other hand, presenting it exactly as found as it is, an honest project.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:28 am

It'll still be honest, Jim, just a bit easier to take apart! If you were to sell it, it may also attract the folks who would otherwise be put off but a bit of grubbyness. It may just be me of course, but clearing all the 40 year old accumulation of crud and oiling everything up is one of my favorite things to do with a new project!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Favorite part? You're welcome to come help me aaaaaany time!
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: