Robinshaw and Ross

PostPost by: reb53 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:51 am

skelteanema wrote:Hi All,

there is a copy of the R + R book (yellow cover first edition) on our local auction site.

The link is :
http://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-colle ... 181073.htm

It is at NZ$50, which is about GBP25. It has been listed a number of times without sale. Much cheaper than some I have seen listed on other sites at about GBP95. :shock:

Usual disclaimer; I have nothing to do with this item or sale etc etc. :!: :!:

For those of you bidding on this, (Colin), be aware that the bidding system on TradeMe is much more civilised than that of Ebay.
The auction will not finish until there have been no bids for two minutes. So the stated end
time is not necessarily the actual time the auction finishes. This gives you plenty of time, ( 2 minutes), to contemplate putting in another bid.
So "sniping" doesn't work, and is unnecessary in any case.
It's amusing to watch the Ebay regulars who put a bid in at the last moment and then, presumably, stare dumbfounded at their screen as the auction continues.......

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:54 am

Ralph is correct, it is much more like a genuine auction, as you only win when no-one else will outbid you. You can auto-bid up to a a set level, but it will auto-extend by 2min each time a new bid is made, giving each potential buyer a chance to win.
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:31 am

I stopped bidding on eBay on a Saturday night...glass of red in hand, as the need to win overtakes the need for the item being bid on. But on this site, that situation would be horrendous! With 2 or more wine fuelled bidders going at it, and 2 minutes would be enough time to go downstairs and top up the glass, what price would a flat, painted Lotus nose badge fetch then??
:shock:

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:53 am

Elanintheforest wrote: what price would a flat, painted Lotus nose badge fetch then??

Mark

One way to find out Mark.
Buy one on Ebay, then sell it on TradeMe....... :)

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:55 am

I bought a Makita angle grinder recently on ebay from a seller in Belgium. They had them on a buy it now for 79?, and there was one on an auction, which I watched with anticipation when the bidding was up to 40?. But when it went over 80? up to 82.05? I did wonder whether they had been at the wine!

I do think that method of on line auction would be wicked! :twisted:

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:I stopped bidding on eBay on a Saturday night...glass of red in hand, as the need to win overtakes the need for the item being bid on. But on this site, that situation would be horrendous! With 2 or more wine fuelled bidders going at it, and 2 minutes would be enough time to go downstairs and top up the glass, what price would a flat, painted Lotus nose badge fetch then??

Mark

That's all it takes at any auction; two people after the same thing, outbidding each other. Suddenly there are headlines saying 'Record price paid at Bonouthies for Picanolini' and everyone thinks that the value has therefore rocketed!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:24 pm

I've always been amazed that sellers have allowed eBay to use fixed ending auctions for all these years. It clearly leads to lower prices than can be achieved by an auction with an end time that extends as late bids arrive. The poor seller pays a commission for a below-maximum price!

I have to admit to using an automatic sniper on eBay. With normal bidding one is simply driving the price up to no benefit. Aside from not having to be around at the end of the auction, and reducing the stress, snipers make you consider carefully what your walk-away price is.

There must be some Windows/Apple sniper programs - I use esniper on Linux. It's free and a bit buggy, but it works for me.

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:29 pm

I just sit and wait (with glass of wine) and bid my max with 5 secs to go!

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:19 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 500wt_1288

A copy just sold on Ebay for ?50. Maybe the ones listed on Ebay at mega prices do not sell and this is the real value?
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LotusArchives » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:33 pm

Jason1 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=190719867530&nma=true&rt=nc&si=PzGgeELV1ZDAZnfjFLe%252BY66jUpE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_1288

A copy just sold on Ebay for ?50. Maybe the ones listed on Ebay at mega prices do not sell and this is the real value?

A have seen these sell on eBay auctions for ?80-?90 a few months ago, I paid about ?60 for mine (buy it now that was poorly listed so not many people noticed it) and brought the other books (Europa & Elise) from Robinshaw himself for much less.
LotusArchives
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:44 pm

Salut

I got mine for about ?50, but I also bought another for a friend for ?33 - an exception due to the slow July/August summer months, I think.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: