Robinshaw and Ross

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Salut

FYI just ordered Robinshaw and Ross (2nd edition) from: http://www.lotus-books.com/elan.html

40?

Expensive for a book, but cheaper than second-hand on eBay.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:07 pm

vernon.taylor wrote:Salut

FYI just ordered Robinshaw and Ross (2nd edition) from: http://www.lotus-books.com/elan.html

40?

Expensive for a book, but cheaper than second-hand on eBay.

@+

Vernon

Yes I've looked at that website Vernon. As you say, a bit better than the typical crazy Ebay prices

I would be interested to know if you are happy with the book when it arrives....... :)
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:18 pm

Is this the chap in Germany who was producing those "photo-copy" books, all with a yellow cover?

I too will be interested to see what arrives!
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:20 pm

I bought one from there a few years ago. (I think a lot less than ?40 .....?25?)
Its a soft cover reprint (with full colour cover), but still very good, and I would definitely recommend it
(But I'm not sure whether its a legal reprint?)

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:31 pm

elansprint71 wrote:Is this the chap in Germany who was producing those "photo-copy" books, all with a yellow cover?

I too will be interested to see what arrives!

I wouldn't want to pay nearly ?40 for a photocopy :shock:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:34 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260939929711? ... 500wt_1156

Not that dear on Ebay now. I was the second from last bidder so would have been cheaper if I had not bid.
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:25 pm

I suspect that one was a fluke.

Most seem to be listed with a start price of ?80 plus

I always miss Ebay bargains. If I even think about bidding the price seems to rocket up.

I haven't got a persecution complex but I'm sure the whole world is against me :shock: :D
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:37 am

nebogipfel wrote:I suspect that one was a fluke.

I bought my copy back in the late 80's when it was available for a more modest sum. It's an interesting book but surely it's not worth anything like that these days when the information it contains is available here for no more than the cost of a few mouse clicks. I'm presuming it's the same book though as my copy has a yellow cover with a yellow sprint in the photograph rather than the two cars of the ebay version.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:17 am

69S4 wrote:
nebogipfel wrote:I suspect that one was a fluke.

I bought my copy back in the late 80's when it was available for a more modest sum. It's an interesting book but surely it's not worth anything like that these days when the information it contains is available here for no more than the cost of a few mouse clicks. I'm presuming it's the same book though as my copy has a yellow cover with a yellow sprint in the photograph rather than the two cars of the ebay version.

The yellow version does not cover those larger cars with kiddy seats in the back. :wink:
The green version does.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:14 am

That was an eBay bargain for a change.

And I'll be complaining if I get a photocopy.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:04 pm

There may be a new person in Germany making repro books, but Richard is no longer with us. There is a fellow that advertises on www.race-cars.com who was selling off some of Richard's Lotus parts, after he died. I had bought some of Richard's copies back in the early 90s and they were great help in restoring my Lotus 20/22. I met Richard at the Monterey Historics in 1995 when Lotus was featured.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:25 pm

I think the chaps name is Bruce, the copies are good. I'm sure I paid ?45 for two - a Robinshaw and Ross and a Miles Wilkins.
At the time both books were going for silly money and I needed the info so I thought OK for the money.
One downside is the pictures are a lesser quality.
Having said that if an original came up at ?32 I would get that :wink:
Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:29 am

terryp wrote:I think the chaps name is Bruce, the copies are good. I'm sure I paid ?45 for two - a Robinshaw and Ross and a Miles Wilkins.
At the time both books were going for silly money and I needed the info so I thought OK for the money.
One downside is the pictures are a lesser quality.
Having said that if an original came up at ?32 I would get that :wink:
Terry

Same for me. When I was getting started on my car. I bought a number of books (including the Workshop Manual, Parts Manual, & Handbook) from Bruce at the OP's link. I have no idea regarding reprints, etc. The WS & Parts books were hard cover bound in black covers; perhaps not 'original' but had the critical info I needed. Might have been Xerox's, not sure. Some of the pages are missaligned a bit, but copy quality is fit for purpose at any rate.

The Robinshaw & Ross I bought was as described above, soft cover. Not sure if this is a reprint or how it is made, but I would not describe it as a Xerox. The book itself is quite interesting. I particularly liked the changes to the Plus 2 over time by VIN. Agree photo's could look better, but have never seen the 'original'.

No connection, etc., but was happy with the service, shipping arrangements to Canada & combining all the books into one order / shipment, and takes PayPal. :)

Cheers!
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:51 am

I bought 3 books from Lotus Books when Richard Spelberg was selling them. The workshop manual (2 volumes) and the parts manual were photo copies of the original and bound in hard cover, very well presented and I was happy with them. I also got the Twin Cam engine book which was a soft cover photocopy. It was acceptable. When ordered I got a couple of free bumper stickers ("I love my lotus Elan" and "my other car is a Lotus") thrown in. I suspect these books are unofficial copies. I bought a new genuine yellow Robinshaw and Ross book from a chap in Australia a year or 2 ago, but I think he has since sold out.

A genuine used hard cover yellow Robinshaw/Ross book (just the Elan) was up for sale on our New Zealad "Trade Me" site a few weeks ago. I think it was $50-$60, which equates to about GBP25 to GBP30. It didn't sell (not much of a market for these books here as there is only a dozen or so Lotus Elans in NZ). It can be found under the expired listings if anyone is interested. I am sure that even with shipping to the other side of the world, it will be a lot cheaper than GBP80.

If it reappears for sale I will post a link.
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: casalunge » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:44 pm

What price a New Old Stock Miles Wilkins Lotus Twin Cam still in its shrink wrap?.

See below :D
Attachments
DSC08247.JPG and
1960 Lotus 18 FJ
1962 Lotus 22 FJ
casalunge
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: