It's arrived!

PostPost by: Ianashdown57 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi,

My 1964 S1 was just delivered this morning so I thought I'd share some pictures. It's quite dirty from it's 38 year sleep, but still looks quite good! I'm going to start cleaning her up this afternoon and figuring out my way around an Elan. I had forgotten just how small these cars are!

Here is the link to the pictures:

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh13 ... Elan%20S1/

Ian
Ianashdown57
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:54 pm

:D :D

Looks good. Keep us up to speed on the story.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:31 pm

:P Looks amazing after such a long sleep.

Nice one
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:40 pm

Yes..........and I see the other flared one in the background. Keep us in the loop.

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Fabulous! Not terribly keen on the wheels, but wow, what a great car. Please post photos of the engine bay.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ianashdown57 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:37 pm

I'm undecided on the wheels. They are at least period additions. Fortunately the car came with an NOS set of original wheels and hub caps so I expect that is what will be going back on there.

The flared racer? I'm not sure what to do with it. I've had thoughts of building a BDA powered monster street/track-day car, but does any really 'need' two elans? If anyone is interested some photos can be found here: http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh13 ... Elan%20S1/

I have an E-Type project arriving soon so space will start to become a bit of an issue soon too!

One question: The door inner panels on the 64 are Teak! I'm fairly sure this wasn't how they came but I have seem several pictures where the panel was a light color. I believe this may have been an Oatmeal Vinyl perhaps a bit like was used on the Europas. Does anyone have any knowledge of the correct material and if it can be purchased anywhere?

Cheers!

Ian
Ianashdown57
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Ian, have you had a look around the type26 register, there is a lot of info there http://www.type26register.com/interior_trim.html
When I bought my S2 (in boxes) it also had wood effect door panals and I assumed they were home made so just threw them away.
PS. nice looking car but I'm afraid I'm also not keen on the wheels, please show some engine pics.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ianashdown57 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:02 pm

Engine shots are now posted.

So the wood veneer may be correct? Interesting . . .
Ianashdown57
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:20 am

Ian Ref: "I've had thoughts of building a BDA powered monster street/track-day car"

Would this work for the road beast? I was going to put it in my elan, but changed my mind.
2.1 ltr alloy block, all steel ~250+ bhp on twin 48's

James
Attachments
BDA.jpg and
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:16 am

Hello Ian, that's a good looking Elan and it's in my favorite color! Purity.
I researched a little bit on the door panels and I think they're modifications. Can you tell if your dashboard is refurbished/newer? And does the wood on the doors perfectly match the dash?
I believe the door panels should be basic black vinyl on "masonite" board. Yes, you can find replacement materials.
Do you have a copy of "The Original Lotus Elan" by Paul Robinshaw and Christopher Ross? If not, buy one.
I think someone may have been cutting a bit on your wheel wells to clear suspension and steering travel for those alloy wheels. The car should have lips on both front and rear cutouts.
Welcome aboard, Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:14 am

Terrific looking car Ian. :) Keep us posted as you sort it out.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:07 pm

Ian

I am no 1600/S2 expert but I believe that the door cards would originally have been in cream vinyl. This is a totally unrelated colour or material to the later Oatmeal, used in Europas and +2s. For reference I have included a shot from a contemporary road test, carried out by Autocar in summer 1964.

Have you managed to sort out your unit, chassis and body numbers yet?

Tim
Attachments
Elan 1600 Autocar 1964 Road Test.jpg and
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:52 pm

That's gorgeous, it doesn't even need a respray, just a good polish. Got a lovely patina about it. I like the wood door panels, they look great, don't mind the wheels either. Rebuild the engine and electrics etc. and drive it as is! Enjoy!
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:33 pm

Nothing to do with the car (which looks great) but I noticed that you are in San Clemente. When I was growing up in LA ('50s/early '60s) my aunt lived there, and I spent many weekends and entire summers in what was then a small town. The freeway came through during that time and things began to change. She lived at 1815 Los Alamos, in an old house with a courtyard. It looks as if the house has changed a lot since then, if there is even anything left of the original. Lots of wonderful memories.

Congratulations on your new acquisition!
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: S2Jay » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:47 pm

Congrats on a great find, Ian!

As others have said, It does look to be in great condition.

I add my 2c b/c your pics remind me so much of my S2, partly since they are the same, or similar colors. I have begun a ?front half? rebuild & planning to be on the road this Spring. I am up the road in Long Beach and recently met another guy nearby who has an S2 that is actually running & driving.

Best of luck with your project, wherever you decide to take it.

Jay
26 / 5009
just looking for clues at the scene....
S2Jay
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: