Lotus Elan

Lotus Elan and Lotus Elan +2 values

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:28 pm

gherlt wrote:>Car A sells and was advertised at $18,000------- therefore it's worth $18,000 dollars? How do you know the actual sale price? how do you know it's actual condition

>Car B is advertised for $45,000, but doesn't sell-------- what's it worth? what's it's condition, why didn't it sell?

BTW: the average price for a Lotus Elan is now $9000 based on the above simple example.


sorry to say that, but the 9000 could be only classified as "money received" for two car put on sale, not average price.
average price of cars *sold*: 18.000
average price of cars *offered*: 31,500


Perfect 8)
Thank you for adding parameters that were not present in the equation. No offense or sleight is intended here, but you have fallen into the trap set with the intention of showing how difficult it is to make any meaningful sense out of a very small amount of statistical information. In this case the information is cars offered for sale, sometimes we may find that the cars actually sold, sometimes we will not and only very occasionally we will know how much they sold for....... is that all as clear as mud? How can we make any meaningful conclusions from this?

There are Lies, Damn lies & then there are Statistics.

Please send answers to me on a clean ?50 note.... many thanks :mrgreen:

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2530
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: AHM » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:58 pm

Alan,

I belive that you have provided much of the mud of clarity - I can't let you get away with questioning the sale price in one scentence and then stating it as fact in the next :roll:

Similarly the average price is $18,000 - The other one did not sell, so you can't include it, besides which that doesn't make it worthless.

Furthermore ( I allways like a furthermore!) The question is one of value, and not of price.

In estimating value Dealers ticket prices are valuable, as are unsold prices as they provide upper limits on what something is not worth.

on a more constructive note - For the Elan (I know little about the +2)
Basket case but complete ?6k
Its got an MOT and runs ?10k
Needs a bit of tidying ?15k
well sorted ?20k ( you might like to think it is worhth more)
Dealer ?20k+

Anyone care to comment?

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1493
Joined: 19 Apr 2004

PostPost by: Steve G » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:39 pm

Whoa! What is all the fuss about guys? The OP made a very reasonable post about keeping a thread archive of Elan values/selling prices/whatever you wish to call them, is it worth getting into a debate on Semantics about it? I think it's a great idea. I think some of you might be getting grumpy in your old age!
User avatar
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 314
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Location: Brighton, UK

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:12 pm

Eric,
Please may I apologise for sending your topic off at a tangent. If you have the time and inclination to amass the information and make good sense of it, it will be a valuable resource for us all.

Good luck and kind regards.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2530
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: Bill » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:38 am

Guys, guys, guys!

You sound like a group of very off topic squabling children.

Put your sticks back on the ice.

26/0538 is 47 years, 11 months old today - I have the factory invoice in my name to proove it.

Value? I guess there is no benchmark as of yet.

Like the Visa add! Priceless!

And I really don't give a damn!

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
User avatar
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 656
Joined: 05 Oct 2003
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

PostPost by: AHM » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:24 pm

Alan,

I just based my answer on "the above simple example" you wrote it, I read it. I didn't make any assumptions, just based my answer on your facts.

MY values are based on
a. A discussion with my insurance company.
b. Some research into auction values
c. What I paid for a car a few weeks ago.

The colour of my sky today is a nice shade of Cirrus White! interspersed with some primer grey, with occasional filthy oil black... and the odd flake of BRG.

I was recently on planet dealer and it is true that they have a rose tint to their sky. Meanwhile here on Earth there is some far more serious machenery that can be had for the same money... which is why private sales don't go the distance and basket cases are over priced.

Bill,
Stick on ice, car in garage, spent more than she is worth, it is about passion; priceless! Ceased giving a damn a while back. Not born when she left the factory!

Eric,
Probably not that hard to do a poll or something similar - suggest Model, Condition, Price, Year. That would keep it simple but allow you to compile historic data as well as current.
If you allow anonymous submission people are likley to contribute. People on this forum seem quite sensible so should be reasonably accurate.

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1493
Joined: 19 Apr 2004

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:50 am

AHM wrote:
................ People on this forum seem quite sensible so should be reasonably accurate.

Simon


Cough...... you saw right thro' my smoke-screen. Damn. :wink:



For the last 30+ years I have been struggling to equate price with value. However; I know what I like and I like what I know.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 4092
Joined: 16 Sep 2003
Location: Cheshire, UK.

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:39 pm

>There are Lies, Damn lies & then there are Statistics.

>BTW: the average price for a Lotus Elan is now $9000 based on the above simple example.


There are also people who get their statistics and logic hopelessly wrong :lol:

Your statistic presumes that the unsold car sold for ?0, because you say an "Average price". However the second car did not have a price at all and should be excluded from the statistic. :roll:

Your logic is on a par with:

Cows eat grass
Sheep eat grass
Therfore Cows are sheep!

:roll: :roll: 8)
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 4717
Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Location: London UK

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:02 pm

Just a thought guys,

With many "classic" cars being sold at auction hitting record prices, does that mean at the lower end prices will rise acordingly? perhaps,but rarety doesnt add value or worth.Nor does it seem that condition plays its part,just consider barn finds of Astons/Jaguars.
I was quoted ?10k for a complete body restoration on my plus 2,would this add ?10k "value" to my car? It may well do to a Lambo, so why not ours! As our cars become more rare,will that change the value or just the asking price.

And No,mines not for sale,but still needs a rewire.Not got round to it yet.

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 968
Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Location: Gosport sur la mer,South hants

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:38 pm

billwill wrote:>There are Lies, Damn lies & then there are Statistics.

>BTW: the average price for a Lotus Elan is now $9000 based on the above simple example.


There are also people who get their statistics and logic hopelessly wrong :lol:

Your statistic presumes that the unsold car sold for ?0, because you say an "Average price". However the second car did not have a price at all and should be excluded from the statistic. :roll:

Your logic is on a par with:

Cows eat grass
Sheep eat grass
Therfore Cows are sheep!

:roll: :roll: 8)


Moo, Moo, Baa, Baa ....... Yawn!
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2530
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:24 am

Notta bump.
Can anyone tell me how I can delete this subject? I'm the orignal poster.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Location: Hamilton County, Ohio

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:06 am

1964 S1 wrote:Notta bump.
Can anyone tell me how I can delete this subject? I'm the orignal poster.


You can not delete a subject or post once a reply has been made. hat said you can log in and edit the original first post. The subject line you will also be able to edit but there needs to be at least on character left. Once you edit the subject line and post it the title will be shown as what you have changed it to in the category where the topic resides but any of the replies will still have the original ( Re: + original) as you are not the owner.

Gary

p.s. - My gut tells me if you want to do this, then start a topic in "left side of the pond" and put the Elans that you see in it. So far the folks that will be here at the end don't think anything ever happens there. maybe start two one for the Plus2 and one for the Elan. Nothing like a bit of banter to help kill a topic?
User avatar
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3128
Joined: 12 Sep 2003
Location: Massachusetts, U.S.A.

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:07 pm

You may be able to change the topic title.

Mark
User avatar
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2878
Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Location: Forest Of Dean, Gloucestershire

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:58 pm

1964 S1 wrote:Notta bump.
Can anyone tell me how I can delete this subject? I'm the orignal poster.


Ask Jeff to bin it for you. Perhaps the best way to attract his attention is to press the "object" (!) button on your original post and explain the situation to him.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 4092
Joined: 16 Sep 2003
Location: Cheshire, UK.

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:53 am

Howdy, I got an odd email about this thread today,,,,, did anyone else?

Columbo
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Location: Hamilton County, Ohio
Previous

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests