So what does your Elan/Plus2 look like today?

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:57 am

Mazzini wrote:Love the sidewinders under the sill strips, may I ask where you got them from? I picked up a set from Jeff at JAE, I suspect they're more than forty years old. Great picture.

Sadly, they're not Lotus ones, it's something I made up myself and a bit of a cheat really. The car came with the strips although they were very battered when I bought it, but I wanted to try to get the original looks again.

With the popularity of "wrapping" cars these days I ended up buying some silver vinyl they use for the base strip. This is very cheap so I bought 3 types and then used the most suitable finish when I tried them on the car, which was "shiny" silver.

The union jack came from Ebay, a vinyl sticker sold in several sizes mostly for motorbikes and the lettering was reproduced by a company doing vinyl lettering for advertising on vans, etc. The font came by looking at photos and altering the "Impact" font in photoshop so it looked something similar. The pinstriping along from the lettering is just that, plain simple pinstriping.

So it's a cheat. Unlike yours which will be a single sticker, this is actually a base vinyl with additions. In practice you can only tell if you get down to sill level and although I'd planned to spray some clear laquer over the result, so far it seems to wear and clean up well and I haven't bothered yet.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:17 am

Well Brian they fooled me. They look the part. I gather Sue Miller in conjunction with Adam (Papapesto) can supply faithful replicas.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:35 am

A bloke I`d met a couple of times recently expressed interest in buying an Elan and over the last few weeks has been out in ours and looked at a few and asked all about everything, so I`ve got to know him quite well. Yesterday I went with him to look at this. But for the, original (!), door fit it is just the nicest Elan I have ever seen. He bought it and I wish I had.
Jim
Attachments
john t.jpg and
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pete d » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:55 am

Hi Mazzini, yes it is Royal Blue - glad I chose it ! now time to get out and use it before summer ends !!
pete d
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: therolfie » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:50 pm

Well a big uphill trip ahead for me!!!! :lol: Well done Pete D it looks great, looking forward to a trip out in it!
Attachments
IMG_5601.JPG and
White +2s, S4 in bits & the practical Honda!
therolfie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:50 am

Believe it or not mine was worse by a long shot ,nothing but the frame and a mountain of parts ......don't give up ...go slowly....make. a list and enjoy marking off the tasks ......you will have some thing to be proud of at the end of your journey ....good luck .....
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:45 pm

welcome back Mr Twincam man... been boring ... VERY boring without you :)

even though it was just a comment :)
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks ......let's see how long it takes to be banned again :lol:

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:43 pm

26/R bodyshells did not have a vent or plenum chamber in front of the windscreen. None were produced with left hand drive.

:roll:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:38 pm

Looks like its going to be a short stay :roll:

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:16 pm

twincamman wrote:Looks like its going to be a short stay :roll:

Yours or mine?!!! :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Fire burn and Calderon bubble

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Happy days! I ran my S3 on the road for the first time in about fourteen months - now with new tyres, freshly painted rims, rebuilt front calipers and new poly bushings at both ends of the front dampers. The engine is running very rough at the moment but that may be a combination of old petrol and Weber adjustments. I have Keith Franck's E-tubes but haven't installed them yet. I need to ensure the float levels are correct and the E-tubes set right before I worry too much about the rough running. It is ok at WOT though so my short drive was fun!! :D Oh yeah, I amost forgot. The suspension has settled a bit after the drive.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:41 pm

Congratulations! Some fresh petrol will probably help a lot.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: freddy22112211 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:40 am

So what does your Elan/Plus2 look like today?

I fought that means pictures?

Gordon
1972 LHD Sprint 5 Cabriolet - sold!
freddy22112211
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: