So what does your Elan/Plus2 look like today?

PostPost by: vstibbard » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:07 pm

DSC_0043.JPG and

I bought my S2 26R, trailered it home from Brisbane, reversed it off the trailer, and commenced a rebuild, this is a picture of my first drive after a very long rebuild..... and it was worth every $.... I'm smiling... and looking forward to reuniting it with its original owner and mechanic on 21st September back in Brisbane

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Well done Vaughan looks fantastic and sounds even better.
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:48 am

Bought my 68 S4 DHC in Hong Kong in 1987 in an awful state, although driveable. Discovered soon after that it had had a pretty hard knock on the front r/h side, that the the chassis had been poorly repaired and that it had since developed a split half way through the r/h front chassis Y piece. Thought I would give it a quick chassis change, and managed to get it back on the road, in Oz, in 2010!!!
Only regret? Wish I hadn't taken so long, as I really enjoy driving it.
Regards,
Colin.
P.S. In case anyone wants to know, the alloy wheels are genuine, period minilites of a very unusual pattern.
If they are recognised by anyone, please let me know.
Attachments
P1010778.JPG and
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:32 pm

This sunday, went for a spin...
Surprisingly, "OEW" was quick to start, even after few month waiting for me...
But, after a few kilometers, staring to refuse to go over 4500tr/mn, then 4000, and as I insisted, the engine cut.
Start again after coolling, checking everything possible, fuel line ok, spark at plug if not strong, battery ok, went back home...
I was 3kilometers from home whe it happen again... Made a picture for you guys, short before my son arrived with its car for towing me before a cold lunch...

Supects are the starter solenoid & the key contactor... Your opinion!?!
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Major suspect for this would be the rotor arm. It probably has an invisible carbon track burned through the plastic from the top contact to the holding spring.

It can't be the starter solenoid, if that had stuck closed I think it would be much more dramatic with bits of starter gears all over the road.

8)
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:14 am

billwill wrote:Major suspect for this would be the rotor arm. It probably has an invisible carbon track burned through the plastic from the top contact to the holding spring.

It can't be the starter solenoid, if that had stuck closed I think it would be much more dramatic with bits of starter gears all over the road.

8)

Thx,
I ll have a try on that side. The thing is, these parts are quite new, comparing to those I suspect, being on the car since the begining, june 66'...
Christian. :mrgreen:

Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:35 am

Does the car have an in line fuel filter? Mine acted similarly and eventually I traced it to a blocked filter just after the fuel tank and before the electric pump. Enough fuel would get through to fill the Webers and I could run it in neutral all I wanted but once under load fuel starvation set in and it would die. Took me a long time to find that one as I seemed to be getting fuel flow - just wasn't enough to keep up with demand!! :oops:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:03 am

Not quite "today" but this weekend in our village. Apparently years ago the local pub used to be the village petrol station and the old "National" petrol sign is still up there even if the petrol pumps have long gone.

Brian
Attachments
Elan Under National Sign800BW.jpg and
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:45 am

On the way back from Lime Rock CT, drove by the old Lotus East building in Millerton NY. My car probably past through here 40 years ago on it's way to it's first owner.
Millerton_LotusEast.jpg and
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:13 pm

I finally got the brakes reassembled. New poly bushings on the upper and lower damper mounts. I have Keith Franck's Weber upgrade parts but haven't had the chance to install them yet. Needs some electrical work too. 8)
Attachments
DSC_1396.JPG and
Back on its wheels but still needs work.
Last edited by Galwaylotus on Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'67 S3 SE FHC

Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pete d » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi Loti fans ! bought my Elan 5 years ago this Sunday (8 Sept.) ,so after an on off on rebuild it's finished.
Attachments
036.JPG and
pete d
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:03 pm

pete d wrote:Hi Loti fans ! bought my Elan 5 years ago this Sunday (8 Sept.) ,so after an on off on rebuild it's finished.

Have mine five years last month! :D

'67 S3 SE FHC

Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:02 pm

pete d wrote:Hi Loti fans ! bought my Elan 5 years ago this Sunday (8 Sept.) ,so after an on off on rebuild it's finished.

Isn't that Royal Blue? An original colour option from '68 or '69 - it looks fabulous, really suits the car.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:22 pm

UAB807F wrote:Not quite "today" but this weekend in our village. Apparently years ago the local pub used to be the village petrol station and the old "National" petrol sign is still up there even if the petrol pumps have long gone.

Brian

Love the sidewinders under the sill strips, may I ask where you got them from? I picked up a set from Jeff at JAE, I suspect they're more than forty years old. Great picture.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Galwaylotus wrote: I have Keith Franck's Weber upgrade parts but haven't had the chance to install them yet.

I am just fitting a set of these into my carbs as I "rebuild" them. I'd be interested to hear what you think of them, I've never ran my with std weber parts so would be good to hear how you think they compare!
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: