1971 Elan Sprint DHC

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:00 am

Just followed the initial link to see all the Elans for sale
How expensive !!!!!!!
We were recently talking about ?40K sprints.
How about the ?52K S4 in Portugal. The guy talks about Racing and the 26Rs but its an S4 not an original championship winning 26R.
Am I missing something?

So serious question My 72 Sprint FHC. Good mechanical condition. Bodywork needs attention but looks presentable
I need to be thinking about insurance values. It have had it at ?11K for a few years now.
Am I being realistic or undervaluing.
I honestly dont know
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:20 am

Clive

If you lost your car now you would be looking to pay ?18-25,000 to replace it from a realistic private seller, depending on condition of both your current car and the replacement.

The Portuguese seller has had that car for sale for over two years, which probably says more about his valuation than I can. The ?40,000 Sprint is a figment of some dealers imagination and Elan prices are getting talked up because of the 50th next year (the E Type effect). They may advertise their stock at that price but sell at quite a bit less, though only for an outstanding car restored to original spec. See this thread too: elan-f14/sprint-for-sale-and-will-for-ages-t22672.html

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ken ob » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:23 am

' pinky ' is now on ebay i see. Currently ?8100 reserve not met.

Ken.
Slightly confused by everything since the invention of the wheel.
ken ob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:36 am

cliveyboy wrote:Just followed the initial link to see all the Elans for sale
How expensive !!!!!!!
We were recently talking about ?40K sprints.
How about the ?52K S4 in Portugal. The guy talks about Racing and the 26Rs but its an S4 not an original championship winning 26R.
Am I missing something?

So serious question My 72 Sprint FHC. Good mechanical condition. Bodywork needs attention but looks presentable
I need to be thinking about insurance values. It have had it at ?11K for a few years now.
Am I being realistic or undervaluing.
I honestly dont know
Clive

Clive,
A minimum 15k should be your insurance value, most insurance companies will agree this value without a club valuation certificate and don't forget to ensure that you have a Retention of Salvage clause, this way you will get 15k and the car to rebuild at your leisure if an accident makes it 'uneconomical' to repair (as far as the insurance company is concerned).

I can't remember seeing an elan of any type in roadworthy order being advertised for less than ?15 for some time now (apart from +2's of course). My basket case S4 cost me 7k and that was 2 years ago, but I got 2k back by selling the parts I didn't need :wink:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: