Building A Kit Elan In The 60s

PostPost by: rwhperry » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Standby on frequency, I'm working on it...

Should be making contact tomorrow. Will post any info I learn.
rwhperry
New-tral

PostPost by: prezoom » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:19 pm

I built my S7 from a kit. Though it was purchased in Hong Kong and shipped from the UK to Long Beach in California. Two crates, one for all the chassis bits and the other for the engine and gearbox. It came with all bolts, washers, nuts, split pins, clips, screws, and about any other fastener you can think of in two cloth tobacco sacks. Took as long to sort the fasteners as it did to assemble the car.

Rob Walker
26-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:31 pm

trw99 wrote:I wonder if this is a kit, as such. I have it in my mind that the Federal Elans were sold 'complete' in North America, never as a kit.

If that was the case, then could this Elan - if that is what it is - be in it's shipping condition, ready for the dealer to complete before sale? And if so, what is that condition? Engine in/out, suspension on/off etc?

Tim

That thought crossed my mind because the tax incentive wouldn't apply

All just speculation of course :)
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:21 pm

rwhperry wrote:
On the downside to all you Elan lovers, it may be a Super 7. Anybody know if that car was also sold in kit form.

I'm wondering if this is a wind-up car now. :roll:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rwhperry » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 pm

It's a '69 Super 7. I e-mailed for more info on condition, history and completeness.

Hopefully I can get in and take some photos, he's on the fence now if he wants to sell it.

I like the S7 but the Elan has always been my favorite.

R
rwhperry
New-tral

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:13 pm

Oh well, I was getting quite excited!

Sure the 7 boys will be appreciative though.

Good luck

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Thornts » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:50 am

I have a foot in both camps (S2 7, S3 Elan) and would be fascinated to know more. For me, just as exciting being a 7 as an Elan - sorry guys.

Ideally PM me and don't tell anyone else!!

Cheers

Rob
Thornts
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:35 am

I just knew we would get to the PM mode on this one! :) In any case it sounds like a great adventure to track down.

I'm with Rohan on building it up, but take LOTS of pics. 8) How about a tripod mounted video cam during the build? Running that at fast speed would be great.

A little story on Lotus dealer prep & delivery on the Wet Coast...

My friend's father bought one of the first SE's into the west coast and it was shipped in a giant packing crate as a complete car. Picked it up dockside on a Saturday in Vancouver BC Canada. So the buyer, Phil, is vibrating as they unpack the car, check the oil etc., and steps up to get in the seat. The dealer / mechanic proceeds to gently brush Phil aside saying "we have to check the gears sir". He proceeds to wind the car out down the dock, pull a donut, and wind it back out, and stop on a dime in front of Phil. He emerges with a giant grin, and says "the gears appear to be fine sir". Of course, wanted to see how much jump was in the new model! Phil was delighted! He never looked back at the Sunbeam Tiger he had considered. :)

Cheers!
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:51 pm

A bit more on the subject...
S4 Build Story.jpg and
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Daughter of Lotus » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:18 am

Hi Bill,

Your posts are really helpful -

My Dad built an Elan in 1970. He said he thought there was one page of instructions and the car cost a bit over ?1000 - he can't remember.
He thinks it was going to cost more than ?2000 if readily made up. So it was the tax thing I think. I have been researching the story, to help him remember it and also as a piece I'm writing for an M.A I am doing in creative writing. It's called The Lotus Instructions and is based around my father building the car.

Best Wishes

Jo
Daughter of Lotus
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: