fire bottle

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sat May 28, 2011 11:52 pm

My memory has faded so I may be wrong. Did this Elan group make a group buy on fire bottles?

It may have been the Europa group.

Anyway, I purchased one for my +2. I have little room in the +2 so I decided to use it in my TVR Vixen. I was looking at the system today and I have a 10lb bottle charge and is the full bottle heavy. Has anyone mounted this in a road car? where can this large heavy bottle be mounted?

Bob
1969 Elan +2
1968 TVR Vixen
1962 Jaguar 3.4 MK2
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun May 29, 2011 2:09 am

Would this message not get a better response in the Racing section?

I did used to have a halon tank under my passenger's knees with copper pipes goung to the engine compartment, but it was never used, evaporated & no longer fillable.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun May 29, 2011 3:01 am

No Bill , I think the question is relevant. I have a afff 10 pound bottle in the Elan and the 7 .Being in a cloud of halon in detrimental to your health . I put the Elans bottle behind the passenger seat and the 7 s on the shelf the heater would go on ---both point the nozzles at the carbs and the fuel pump area and one outlet in the driver compartment [ the ?lan has the electric pump in the trunk so there is no outlet for the Elans pump ]but I have an off switch and a master kill switch on both cars and plan on the same set up in the Europa -Bill -btw your Dino pal at the Falls has become a complete mini golf unit with triceratops -tyrannosaurus rex and a whole bunch of his buddies -- ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sun May 29, 2011 4:15 pm

Bob,

I don't know what a 10lb bottle looks like, but this is where the bottle is fitted in my Sprint.
Petrol Tank 2.jpg and
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun May 29, 2011 6:17 pm

>Bill -btw your Dino pal at the Falls has become a complete mini golf unit with triceratops -tyrannosaurus rex and a whole bunch of his buddies -- ed

Yes I had a good search on Google Maps of Niagara Falls & did find the new dinosaur park there. It's at a bigger site. I couldn't find the old site, but the most likely place had demolished the old museum & built a big hotel or apartment block there.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun May 29, 2011 6:19 pm

bcmc33 wrote:Bob,

I don't know what a 10lb bottle looks like, but this is where the bottle is fitted in my Sprint.
Petrol Tank 2.jpg

That fire bottle looks similar to the one I had. Are they still fillable somewhere?
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun May 29, 2011 11:58 pm

over ere the local fire department fills them for a small fee donated to charity . The afff are water and foam and pressurized air ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon May 30, 2011 1:44 am

Oh arrr.

I was told mine wasn't suitable for wet stuff filling. What pressure rating are those bottles.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:41 pm

billwill wrote:That fire bottle looks similar to the one I had. Are they still fillable somewhere?

I have been pointed in the direction of Merlin Motorsport for a filling service.
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/FIRE- ... index.html
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: