Back on the road?

PostPost by: gordont » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:07 am

Ray....... Bite the bullet and fit an alternator (especially if you want to drive it regularly) would be my thought.
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks Gordon,I think perhaps you are right,does seem a shame though! Does anyone have any current (no pun intended!) ideas on the best one to use? Cost,ease of fitting etc? I know it has been done to death in the past,just wanting up to date info.
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Oldthumper wrote:..... I know an alternator would be a sensible replacement, but want to keep with the originality if possible.

http://www.racemettleltd.co.uk/dyn.html

These folks make an alternator which looks just like a dynamo; I think they are not the only ones.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:38 pm

Oldthumper wrote:Work unfortunately has been conspiring to prevent more efforts on the car. The dynamo seems to have no measurable output. I have dismantled,checked and cleaned everything,brushes are as new and no apparent continuity problems......

Ray
Sunny Worthing

It's probably the control box.

I know what you mean about originality but I gave up on mine and fitted an alternator (one of the best things I ever did on the car) I used a MK3 Fiesta unit I already had, a bit of DIY on the brackets ....... total cost, zero?.

Lights are bright, windows speedy and the battery is always lively :wink:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Ray , glad to hear you have an interest in keeping it original if possible. Are you +ve earth or -ve earth
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:19 pm

Thanks Pete,John and RichC,(-ve earth) much appreciated advice. I'm waiting for a report from my local friendly auto electrician.
I really am confused on this one. The benefits of an alternator are very clear,so is the urge to keep original! The first of many such decisions,I imagine! I might go for both,get the dynamo going to keep for possible future originality,and source a suitable alternator for practicality!
One obvious issue is the wiring,headlights in particular. Think I should wire in relays as at the moment there are none,never were! (never had an air filter,mesh grill or bonnet locks for that matter.really would like to find out who owned the car for that short time before me)
Ray
In not so sunny Worthing
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:08 pm

Well,another month has passed by with frustratingly little free time to work on the car! Just about everything working now, one front sidelight bulb to replace, fuel gauge sender not working,but starts and runs beautifully! Insurance sorted at the grand sum of ?84p/a. Hopefully some time soon it will be a short trip to see Miles,get a MOT, some idea from him of valuation for insurance,and then attempt to register. If I get time I will put some new Rotoflex doughnuts on, the old ones are very old, and probably Imp spec!

Ray
68 s4 fhc
05 Yamaha MT-01 (opposite extreme to the Elan. Big,heavy,crude and unsubtle)
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:12 pm

Very sad situation reached. After all these years, I think I am going to have to sell it. Anyone interested? Serious enquiries only please, I'm upset enough already, without anyone taking the p...

Ray
68 s4 fhc
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: