Back on the road?

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:33 pm

The most wonderful sound in the world! After a couple of weeks of stripping and rebuilding Webers,ignition and fuel system, at last today it came to a joyful conclusion! For the first time in at least 20 years the engine came to life! A few slightly scarey noises as things moved, but after a couple of minutes all settled down to that familiar sound. Pure joy! The car is up on axle stands, so I thought it would be a relatively low stress way of getting the transmission moving, so I disconnected the ignition lead and cranked her over , in second gear.Rear wheels turned, as expected. Depressed the clutch, and could hardly believe it when the wheels slowed down! A free clutch? Can't be surely? Connected the ignition lead, started the engine and very gingerly pressed the clutch and selected a gear.Total amazement as it slipped smoothly in. Let up the pedal and the wheels spun freely!Unfortunately it was then time to pack up and get ready for work (I own a Pub), so the urge to get the wheels back on and go for a celebratory, and highly illegal spin,went unsatisfied!
Next task is to check out all the electrics, and then find out how to register itagain, hopefully with my original number. At least tonight I will be able to sleep without dreaming about why it won't start. :D
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:59 am

A free clutch ? are you sure this is a Lotus we're talking about :D ?

I don't think you'll have much problems in re-registering, it should be on their database even though it's pre-SORN. Although less than 20yrs mine was off the road for a long time and also pre SORN plus I'd not bothered to update the log book to a V5C. But I just downloaded the forms to tax it from the DVLA, insured & MoT'd the car and the lovely free road tax appeared as if by magic. If you ask when you make the application to your local office they will also return your old-style log book for the history file, although I still haven't received the new V5C yet. Apparently that's Swansea and takes much longer.....
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:08 am

That sounds encouraging re the DVLA, thanks. I managed to actually find my engine number, for the very first time, and surprise,surprise it was not the same as in the log book(sorry VE60,to those younger members!)Logbook states 6615, my engine shows 6535. I know that it is the same engine as was in the car in 71, so a bit curious about this. I did have an exchange head in 76, from a company called Lotumotion Engineering,with an electrical temperature sensor, which I never got round to changing. It really is quite mind boggling to go through all the old invoices, and comparing them with the mileage on the mot certs! By the time the car had done 40k miles it had had virtually all major components replaced or repaired! Now I can remember why I "laid it up" for a few decades! I couldn't bear to consider parting with it, but to actually use it and try to hold down a career,business,family? I am,as an aside,amazed by the number of very long time owners on here,many, as I am, from engineering backgrounds.Many also seem to have waited for retirement to arrive or aproach before actually deciding to get the thing back going again!
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Oldthumper wrote: I couldn't bear to consider parting with it, but to actually use it and try to hold down a career,business,family? I am,as an aside,amazed by the number of very long time owners on here,many, as I am, from engineering backgrounds.Many also seem to have waited for retirement to arrive or aproach before actually deciding to get the thing back going again!

That is just so close to our/my situation it's uncanny. I was 26-ish when I bought mine and my girlfriend (now wife) never bothered with the fact I'd spend weekends tinkering plus regular injections of cash & time. As you say that changes as life progresses and other things take precedence.

But it's hard to sell a Lotus and I'm pretty sure the first time you go out in your "new" car you'll be smiling even though they don't go as fast or handle as well as a modern Lotus - they just "fit" like no other. And that's why there's probably so many of us oldies around with them - plus of course we all need something to tinker with.... :)
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:30 am

Maiden trip completed! All of 200 yards from garage to driveway and back again! First movement under her own power for over 20 years. Shame about the rain today,wanted to give her a good clean :D More after lunch!
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:17 pm

The rain helps!
102_0275.JPG and
102_0274.JPG and
102_0273.JPG and
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:44 pm

Just a few jobs done today. The passenger door refused to open, so had to pull the door trim off. Managed to free off the lock and decided to get the windows working a bit better.Need some new hoses,top one started to swell and leak a little as soon as temp was reached. Brakes seem to work quite well on my little test drives, really must sort out the indicators next! I have the old windscreen washer pump mounted on top of the bottle, seizes up of course. Surprised to drill out rivets and get it going again, I really didn't want to have to fit a new separate pump, so well pleased! Connected up the ignition properly and more surprises, the tacho works! Slight radiator leak,think it was caused by the bonnet spring.I need to liberate some tubing from the pub to connect up the vacuum circuit again, some of the old tubes are just too brittle now. Repaired fuel tank back in soon, it is a little scary running from an open plastic 5 litre can in the boot! In big trouble with SWMBO about the oil patches on the driveway, not even really that bad!
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:10 am

Oldthumper wrote:Maiden trip completed! All of 200 yards from garage to driveway and back again! First movement under her own power for over 20 years. Shame about the rain today,wanted to give her a good clean :D More after lunch!

You do NOT want to take it on the highway un-insured. Some pesky jobsworth cop might impound it and send it to the crusher.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:55 am

New hoses purchased from the ever helpful and fascinating Miles at F.S. Always amazed at the amount of knowledge and tips you can pick up just from chatting to Miles.
Rear pads as well,now that the old nearly worn out ones have cleaned up the discs a bit!
Slowly working through the electrics,most things are working,but I am just methodically working my way round,cleaning and/or renewing as I go. The headlining and sunvisors are cleaning up quite well, and the only cracking on the dash is on the glovebox lid and even that isn't too bad. I "gave" the car to my 5year old daughter about 20 years ago, today she is visiting and seeing it running for the first time. I think she likes the idea of having a classic, so long as Daddy stores,maintains and spends all the money on it!
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:17 am

Oldthumper wrote: I "gave" the car to my 5year old daughter about 20 years ago, today she is visiting and seeing it running for the first time. I think she likes the idea of having a classic, so long as Daddy stores,maintains and spends all the money on it!

Funny, that. I did exactly the same!

Sadly, mine is still off the road.

Roy
'65 S2
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:39 am

Good luck Roy, I hope you have the time and oportunity to get your car back running again.I'm sure your daughter will appreciate it!
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:00 pm

A few more little jobs completed. Headlights raise reasonably well,lights all work now,with the exception of the brake lights. Charging circuit to check out next as it doesn't seem to be charging.Radiator and hoses renewed or repaired and back in. Fuel tank repaired and back in, not really much more to do before Mot attempt and then registration. Any current advice on insurers? All opinions gratefully received!
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steve.thomas » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:11 am

For insurance check out Routen Chaplin who are listed in the Business and Vendor section of this forum. The contact there is Kim Eaton who is a fellow Lotus owner and very helpful. I've just insured my Plus 2 for a limited 5000 miles, agreed value, etc for about 150 pounds including full European breakdown cover.
Steve
steve.thomas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:34 am

Thanks Steve, I will definitely,give them a try
Ray
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:46 am

Work unfortunately has been conspiring to prevent more efforts on the car. The dynamo seems to have no measurable output. I have dismantled,checked and cleaned everything,brushes are as new and no apparent continuity problems.I shall try to find a good local auto electrics shop. I know an alternator would be a sensible replacement, but want to keep with the originality if possible.
I need to source a new temp/oil pressure gauge as the cap. Tube on mine was broken years ago, and the exchange head I put on years ago has a (working) electrical sender. I suppose I will need some sort of adaptor to fit the temp bulb instead?

Ray
Sunny Worthing
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: