Lotus Elan for Restoration.

PostPost by: Burblebloke » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Hi, this may have been posted several times due to my lack of expertise on your forum!
I've found an Elan that's been stored in a factory for many years, total resto I think. Does anybody have an idea of it's value (if it has one!)

Photos here.
http://s980.photobucket.com/albums/ae281/olliestan/

I'm not that familiar with the marque so if you want any more info let me know and I'll endeavour to find it.

Thanks
Burblebloke
New-tral

PostPost by: adigra » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:20 pm

It's a Series 3 coupe airflow (the earlier S3 coupes didn't have the grille on the B pillar, hence pre-airflow), so '66 or '67-ish, and judging by the dashboard switches I would say it's a Special Equipment model or S/E (which had 10bhp extra due to hotter camshafts). It should also have the (arguably) more desirable Weber carbs and head.

Of course it has value!

However you really need to have a look at the subframe/chassis and see if it is in usable condition, and have a look at the engine, but at this stage I would just assume it would need a rebuild (?4000). The two most expensive jobs on an Elan are the engine rebuild and a respray (min $3000, up to 6000), and this car most likely needs both. It's closely followed by the chassis replacement, which largely depends on how much work you want to do yourself (new chassis is around ?2000 these days).

The car seems, on the surface, to be largely complete (the steering wheel being the only thing inside which isn't correct), which is a huge bonus. It has its seats, all the switches, dials, etc. which all cost a lot of money to replace, but are fairly cheap to restore.

Based purely on this limited info, I'd pay up to ?5000 for it myself, and account for another 12-15k to restore it properly, which would be a pretty good deal on a great condition S3 S/E. I've noticed some are now well into 20k territory from dealers.

Hope that helps a bit.

Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Burblebloke » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:34 am

Thanks Adi, that helps a lot! Unfortunately I'm not in a position to restore the car myself, though I have carried out restos in the past. So the car is available for sale, it's based in South Wales - can anybody suggest the best method of selling it - ebay perhaps?
Thanks for your help.
Burblebloke
New-tral

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:56 am

You can post it here, on this site, in the For Sale section for free.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:58 pm

gjz30075 wrote:You can post it here, on this site, in the For Sale section for free.

Greg Z

Wakey, wakey Greg :lol:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:11 pm

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote: Wakey, wakey Greg :lol:

Showing yer age there, John! :wink:

http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/billycotton.wav

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=80230

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Burblebloke wrote: can anybody suggest the best method of selling it - ebay perhaps?

I thought for sure I was not reading the classifieds here. It's a bit like going to an ebay forum and asking where I can sell something. :twisted: Ok, I'm awake now.
Sorry.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:35 pm

ardee_selby wrote:
GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote: Wakey, wakey Greg :lol:

Showing yer age there, John! :wink:

http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/billycotton.wav

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=80230

Cheers - Richard

Ah, I didn't really make the connection when I wrote that, but oh yes; Sunday lunch time roast beef, Yorkshire pud & Billy Cotton on the steam radio, usually followed by "the Navy lark.
Starboard lookout yer! Left 'and down a bit! :lol:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: S2Jay » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know who the manufacturer or source of that steering wheel may be? It is the sort I will be looking for when I get that far in my rebuild. Any idea if it is still available & if it needs an adaptor kit?

Jay
26 / 5009
just looking for clues at the scene....
S2Jay
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Burblebloke » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks to everybody who's pm'd me and posted here. I'm really not sure how to proceed at present. I've been to the Coleford show today and fell in love with Conway's Elan Sprint.
I may auction the car as there is so much interest but will post my plans here anyway.

Thanks again.
John.
Burblebloke
New-tral

PostPost by: collins_dan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:02 pm

John, If you decide to go the auction route, you will need to take lots of pictures or answer lots of questions, in order to figure out what work the car requires and therefor what to pay. Shots of the engine, suspension and chassis at all 4 corners as the chassis tends to rot out where it bends from horizontal to vertical. Good Luck. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Burblebloke » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:23 am

I opened the bonnet for the first time yesterday, didn't realise it was spring loaded! The engine bay looks largely original to me apart from the Lucas ignition perhaps? and the alarm Klaxon. Looks like there may be something missin from the front carb??
Any comments on originality / spec welcome.
Thanks
Attachments
CIMG1373.jpg and
CIMG1375.jpg and
Burblebloke
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:55 am

About the only things that are not original are the air filters. It would originally have had a back plate, which allowed the throttle cable to hook on, and a fibreglass cover over the carb mouths, with trunking leading to an air filter canister in the nose of the car. No big deal...all replaceable.

The front carb is just missing the little inspection cover that the back carb has...again, very easily replaced.

If you need a hand describing the car, or generally seeing what's what, let me know...I'm not far away.

Here's a S3 engine bay.
Mark
Attachments
zzengine S3.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:18 am

The front carb is actually complete. It has what looks like a Weber specific fitment for the throttle cable to be fixed to. I've not seen one like that before though.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:27 pm

trw99 wrote:The front carb is actually complete. It has what looks like a Weber specific fitment for the throttle cable to be fixed to. I've not seen one like that before though.

Tim

That was very observant Tim, when you brought our attention to it I enlarged the picture & saw what you meant.
Wasn't a similar if not identical throttle system the subject of discussion not too long ago?

I pointed Burblebloke in the direction of Elan.net to get advice on this car & so far you guys have been great! What else could be expected :D

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: