Slow re-birth of a Sprint

PostPost by: slowsprinter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:02 pm

Gents

Sorry for the lack of news. I was on holiday for a while, and my restoration has been going slowly whilst I order new parts and refurbish old parts.

Anyway I have finally starting putting together my front suspension and have updated my photos on the link below. I bought new protech adjustable shocks from Spyder. I bought new ball joints and trunnions from Sue Miller and cleaned and painted the rest. I did ruin the thread on one stub axle trying to get it apart, so had to buy a new one! All were painted in black epoxy mastic. Like Alex, I went for poly bushes in the trunnions and have stuck with rubber in the wishbones.

I did have a problem with the left hand upper wishbones and ball joint, where I found the holes did not line up. I had to ovalise (hope that's a word) the outer holes in the wishbone to make it fit. Now I am a little worried that the ball joint will move around in the wishbone when it drives. Should I be concerned about this, they are Spyder tubular wishbones?

Next job is to separate the hub and discs. Clean and paint the hub and replace the wheel bearings and discs. Will keep you posted :)

Ian
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slowsprinter/
Lagoon Blue over White 1972 Sprint DHC
slowsprinter
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: slowsprinter » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:17 pm

All

Please can one of you gurus recommend a method of oiling trunnions. Is it grease nipple out and use an oil can for EP90 or grease nipple in and use the oil in a grease gun. If so, do grease guns work with gear oil in? I will have to make a purchase so can you recommend a brand of grease gun that will work?

Thanks in advance
Ian.
slowsprinter
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:46 am

I use one of these:

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/100cc-Mini ... -Draper-A6

Cheap, but it works. At least, more oil goes into the nipple than leaks past.

I think it's messy whichever way you do it.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi Ian. Just had a look at your pics on flikr. Looks like a thorough job. Of course the bodywork is in the best colour too - looks like lagoon blue.

Hope it's going well.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:16 pm

I like the port and starboard hubs and of course the colour is great and looks the same as mine in which case I recommend silver bumpers and minilites
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:44 pm

Ian,

Buy a secondhand (or new if your flush!) but good condition Wanner gun from Ebay...They are the best you can buy and will last a lifetime..

You will not regret it...

AB

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wanner-grease ... 3369d3e74d
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:44 pm

Buy two- one for grease, one for oil. I've had my pair for 40 years. :D

alexblack13 wrote:Ian,

Buy a secondhand (or new if your flush!) but good condition Wanner gun from Ebay...They are the best you can buy and will last a lifetime..

You will not regret it...

AB

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wanner-grease ... 3369d3e74d
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:29 am

I had my original one for around a similar time but made the mistake of taking it to work with me and lost it. Bought a cheepo Halfords Item which turned out to be fairly useless. The Wanner is the best and easiest to use one handed..

I think I will do the same as pete and buy me another one too. If that makes sense. :roll: :roll:

Errr .... I'll get my coat.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Al' .........
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: slowsprinter » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks for that guys. Looks like another investment coming up! Its all money this Elan restoration lark :shock:

Just thinking about starting to get my Twink sorted and have just bought a engine stand and a parts washer.

Sean and Gordon, have not decided fully on body colour yet but it will be either Colorado Orange over white or Lagoon Blue/white. The blue on my shell at the moment is a Jaguar blue I believe, done by PO. Do you have piccies to inspire me chaps?

Ian
slowsprinter
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: slowsprinter » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:38 pm

Another update. This weekend I carried on with the front suspension. Hubs painted. New discs fitted and new wheel bearings. All greased and assembled. Trunnions oiled for the first time with EP90.

My new Clarke engine stand arrived along with a parts washer. There was no obvious way of mounting the engine, so I improvised with an off cut of kitchen worktop. This wood was bolted to the left side engine mount holes (removing the spacers). Then the wood bolted to the engine stand. Does not look good but it works! Roped in the neighbours to help me lift the engine onto the stand.

My photo stream updated. Next job is the steering rack and a good poke around the engine to see what needs doing.

All for now
Ian.
slowsprinter
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Engine stands can be difficult to set up the first time. I borrowed one from next door (911 man) but could find no way of making our Mini-Cooper (A series) engine fit. It was one of those red ones, the stand, not the engine(!), from Machine Mart, or somewhere similar.

Lagoon Blue over white- this was what I wanted when I bought my Yellow over White car! Make a trip over to see Alex's Sprint, it's a superb vehicle. I saw it in Caen and on the ferry back from the Le Mans Classic last time.

I'll be dipping into Moray in a couple of weeks (Banff to Buckie), having contrived a trip up North to collect a diff... umm I mean celebrate Mrs T's birthday. Don't tell her, it's a surprise. :wink:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi Guys,
If you like the blue / white option there is a nice pic' of my car in the back of the Practical Classics Mag' this month , or was it last? Anyway! Surprised me somewhat! Its a nice pic' though. Advrt / editorial for Club Lotus.

The little car still looks great after 3 years. Paint is holding up well.

Have alooksee... :wink:

Keep up the good work young fella.... :wink:

Alex.. 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Just read your last post Pete....

How's about a meet up in (say) Inverness and we can take a run over to Ian's for a drool? You up for that? How long are you up here? what route up are you taking and what dates?

Talk to you at Donington?

Questions questions.... :lol: :lol:
AB... :wink:
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:58 pm

alexblack13 wrote:Just read your last post Pete....

How's about a meet up in (say) Inverness and we can take a run over to Ian's for a drool? You up for that? How long are you up here? what route up are you taking and what dates?

Talk to you at Donington?

Questions questions.... :lol: :lol:
AB... :wink:

Alex,
Not going to Donington- on a different holiday in Devon ( :wink: ), the "up North" trip is a real quickie and Mrs T would not countenance any time "wasted" with sad Lotus/VSCC types :cry: even if she knew about it; she thinks we are going to Eastbourne. :roll:

See you at Le Mans? Must be time to start a thread about that soon.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: slowsprinter » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:07 pm

Pete, Alex

I work away lots so let me know exact times and dates you are in town, if you come and I will make sure I am here :D Sadly my car is not much to look at. It resembles an iron bed with a castor on each corner at the moment! You guys are royalty on this forum and the chance to talk to you face to face, just too good to miss 8)

Ian.
slowsprinter
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: