Hill's car - Elan.net strikes again!

PostPost by: Thornts » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:02 pm

Elan in the Forest has done it again. Many, many thanks to Mark for tracking down a fantastic period shot of my Elan and perhaps more importantly an invaluable contact from back in the day. I will attempt to post the picture but fear I may be too much of a newbie and/or be too stupid. If/when I fail, perhaps you would do the honours Mark.
With the 50th only a year away, there can be no better incentive to get the restoration finished, (or even started).
If ever proof were needed of just what a fantastic resource this forum and its memebers are...

Rob
S3 SE FHC
S2 7
Attachments
Graham+Hill Elan 2.JPG and
Thornts
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:13 pm

And it has those 'Lotus' sidewinder / sill stripes which seem to have been fitted to many Elans in the first half of '67. I think we'll have to look into getting those re-made.

The text which goes with the photo, for those that don't recognise the faces:

A great period shot from Roger Putnam who started working in sales for Lotus in the 1960s and who is pictured handing over Graham Hill's 'company' Elan in April or May 1967. Roger says "the photo was taken by a Daily Mail photographer and it appeared in the paper the following day. It was taken at Ian Walker's dealership in N Finchley,London. Ian used to enter a racing Elan for Jim Clark in GP support races. Graham drove the Project 312 Aston in the same races. Chequered Flag also entered an Elan for Jackie Stewart.

Jimmy Clark had an identical yellow Elan but we delivered it to France where he was living in Montmartre with a great eccentric journo called Gerard 'Jabby' Crombac'.

12 months to put her back on the road Rob? Piece of cake!!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:35 pm

Rob,
Congrats on the car, and to our venereal gump in the forrest (there's a land between two rivers... etc). Please excuse my poor speeeling, Marko. :wink:

No pressure on the resto-job. :shock:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:12 pm

:roll:
Attachments
zzcheese.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:22 pm

Pete's in Cheshire.....they do things differently there....must be a shortage of hills in his "neck of the woods"! :wink:

Cheers - Richard
Attachments
Cheese Rolling In Cheshire.jpg and
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:06 am

Thornts wrote:...I may be too much of a newbie Rob S3 SE FHC S2 7

Rob,

Hardly a newbie...it's about 10 years since we "spoke".

(elan-archive-f16/crombac-car-hill-car-t5843.html)

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:19 am

cheese rolling ?? ankle kicking?? Morris dancing ?? warm beer??? British standard whitworth ?? and I thought it was the English weather that built the Empire . I seenow it was just the sane ones looking for some quiet hockey games -- :? ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: