Should I track an Elan?

PostPost by: The Old Italian » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:53 am

First post and at this moment I don't own a Lotus.

I've done about 80 trackdays in my track prepared road legal late 60's 'other marque' of car and now I'm looking for another toy.

I was at Race Retro last weekend and was quite taken by this in H&H's auction
http://www.classic-auctions.com/Auction ... 32737.aspx
It sold for a hammer price of ?22,500 but as I knew nothing about Elans, I didn't bid.

Question 1: Am I mad :?: :lol:
Question 2: Whatever the answer to 1: Does anybody know of something similar for sale :?:

Ian.
The Old Italian
New-tral

PostPost by: gerrym » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:07 pm

You know motor racing is never cheap. You know you will want to be competitive (yes to both?) Speak to Tony Thompson and /or Pat Kelvedon.

They will probably know of a car worth having.

Regards
G
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi Ian

My guess is that it just depends on how much money you have. If you're Jay Leno or Nick Mason then you'll have no problem, if on the other hand you're more like me, then you'll not be able to afford it. The decision's really up to you.

As gerry suggests you could speak to Tony Thompson, but it's Pat Thomas at Kelvedon for Lotus which is the other contact.

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:00 pm

Ian i saw that car at H&H last week & yes i know it is a competition car but the ripples on the bodyshell were terrible the worst i have seen on any elan & i guess you are paying for the trick engine & other bits but if the body is not prepared better than that it makes you wonder about the other bits i cannot believe it fetched ?24K according to H&H
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:12 pm

I`ve done quite a few track days in the Elan, great fun. In the Elise it`s a bit easy and eats tyres. The most fun, especially per ?, was an old Westfield bought for ?3000 between 3 of us. It only had an old Pinto engine in so was hopeless on the straights, gobbled up by moderns, but on the twisty bits it was BRILLIANT fun. Track days are more about the twisty bits than outright performance to my mind.
The best fun was in the rain, but NOT driving there, so we bought an old towing dolly for ?200.
When we`d had enough, after a 2 or 3 or was it 4 years we sold it on and even made a profit. Missing it now so as one of these pals has just moved to within 4 miles of Oulton Park we`re just waiting for an appropriate moment to mention to his wife that....................
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richard sprint » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:10 pm

Ian

Why not? I have attended many trackdays and these are far less expensive and demanding than racing plus if you are feeling fit enough one can usually get around 3 to 4 hours of driving time.

Perhaps Pat Kelvedon/Tony Thompson route would be an expensive option as they are preping for racing and the costs would reflect this?

You'll need the car to be in good fettle if you want safety and reliability, as mentioned previously a Westfield would cost you less to get on track and be easier to maintain!

Richard
richard sprint
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Old Italian » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:06 pm

Thanks for your replies.

To clarify a few points: I'm not quite as wealthy as Jay Leno or Nick Mason but value is more important to me than the actual amount spent on aquiring a good Elan. I don't mind spending the right money on the right car but if I do that, I hope that upkeep of that good car would not be too fearsome.
As I said in my opening post I have done about 80 trackdays in my present (non-Lotus) 'classic'
(several of them with LoT who are a really nice bunch).

I don't want a caterfield, because what I want is the combination of an attractive classic car (IMO) that I can use on track regularly; if I wanted thrills on a budget I would get a Radical (but they do nothing, as cars, for me).
At the moment I do want to do trackdays only but I may decide to race in the future (I used to hold at Nat. Gp. B) and therefore I don't want to get a car that would turn out to be ineligable for too many series.

I will contact Pat Kelvedon and Tony Thompson and see what's available (I do like the look of that 26R look-a-like that's for sale on a US site at the moment!!!).

I'm glad to know that I didn't miss the ultimate bargain at H&H, and it turns out that although described as an S2, the chassis number is from an S3 ........ I could get myself into real trouble here as I'm only just starting this steep learning curve of discovering the ins and outs of the Elan.

Ian.
The Old Italian
New-tral

PostPost by: gerrym » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:37 pm

Sorry to start the misnaming. Yes it's Pat Thomas at Kelvedon Motors. Nice chap, knows heaps and not to grumpy to pass it on.

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:00 am

The Old Italian wrote:Thanks for your replies.

To clarify a few points: I'm not quite as wealthy as Jay Leno or Nick Mason but value is more important to me than the actual amount spent on aquiring a good Elan. I don't mind spending the right money on the right car but if I do that, I hope that upkeep of that good car would not be too fearsome.
As I said in my opening post I have done about 80 trackdays in my present (non-Lotus) 'classic'
(several of them with LoT who are a really nice bunch).

I don't want a caterfield, because what I want is the combination of an attractive classic car (IMO) that I can use on track regularly; if I wanted thrills on a budget I would get a Radical (but they do nothing, as cars, for me).
At the moment I do want to do trackdays only but I may decide to race in the future (I used to hold at Nat. Gp. B) and therefore I don't want to get a car that would turn out to be ineligable for too many series.

I will contact Pat Kelvedon and Tony Thompson and see what's available (I do like the look of that 26R look-a-like that's for sale on a US site at the moment!!!).

I'm glad to know that I didn't miss the ultimate bargain at H&H, and it turns out that although described as an S2, the chassis number is from an S3 ........ I could get myself into real trouble here as I'm only just starting this steep learning curve of discovering the ins and outs of the Elan.

Ian.

A great compendium of knowledge on the S1-4 Elan is Brian Buckland's book. Though it's primarily intended as a restoration guide for an owner, it has a lot to say about the differences between models.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Ian,

There is also something fishy about the serial number, perhaps they've simply added a 1 where it didn't exist or the number si made up. No Elan was ever 36/15xxx. Although the Elan numbering system is hard to follow, by 1970 when they went onto the new system that included the year in the VIN, Elan numbers had approached 10,000, but I don't think ever made it to 11,000. The car could also be a bitsa, having a TT chassis and body, that could be very realistic.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 65ginetta » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:16 am

I'm currently restoring a 1966 S3 Coupe for track days and fun road use. I am really enjoying searching for the modifications and upgrades available whilst retaining the classic nature of the Elan. This site is absolutely invaluable for details and descriptions to incorporate chassis, suspension, transmission and engine performance improvements and I appreciate all you LotusElan.net guy's input.
The H & H car looks like a good collection of expensive mods, I have recently obtained most of the items included in that spec and it would be virtually impossible to replicate a car to this spec if you included labor for the sale price of the H&H car. With reference to the bodywork, I have so far 200 hours in stripping the shell down to the gel coat and estimate at least 120 more hours before painting. An internet search for a Smirthwaite engine or equivalent, Dog box, LSD, TT chassis, adjustable shocks and drive line mods will quickly get to at least $16,000 to add to the cost of the original vehicle estimate $10,000, all of this before you start work on the restoration. I guess another $5,000 for powdercoating, brakes, steering etc and all the labor for love.
The Elan is perfect for home restoration and I look forward to confirming its equally suitable for track days on a budget.
65ginetta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:45 am

Hi Ian,
Does it have to be an unmodified classic elan? My +2 zetec sounds like an elan, handle's like an elan, certainly looks like an elan, but goes a whole lot quicker and gobbles up moderns at trackdays. The service intervals are a lot longer than an unmodified car and all the consumable parts are either Sierra or Granada Scorpio therefore low cost and easy to obtain. go to http://spydercars.co.uk/ford_zetec.htm
It's also a very nice car to drive on the road with the benefit of a 5 speed gearbox which gives you a low first for traffic and a high 5th for cruising. I'm currently having an S4 elan built with a Ford Duratec engine, I'm looking forward to using it on track and maybe frighten a few Caterhams & Westies.

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Old Italian » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:31 pm

Jim, is the Brian Buckland book "The Rebuilding of a Lotus Elan" ? At a cost of ?50 in the UK I don't want to find I've bought the wrong book
(a tatty S/H one would do :roll: )!

65Ginetta and Roger, interesting info about the H&H car and the value/cost of its components,
it looks like it would have been a lot of fun for the money but hardly a pure original example.

Alan, although I don't mind modifying a classic for performance and safety, I do want the components to have been available
in the period.
I could easily put a 'modern' twin spark engine in my current trackday toy to give me a large increase in useable power
but somehow it goes against the grain (for me).

I'll take this opportunity to show my present non-Lotus :oops: :wink:.

Ian.
The Old Italian
New-tral

PostPost by: john w » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:16 pm

Ian

As everyone else is saying, you must, and I mean must contact Tony Thompson (see his web site). He is very knowlegable and easy to talk to in addition to selling his Elan/26R competition bits and pieces. Make an appointment to see him.

But you could get an Elise instead. Sorry guys, I didn't mean to say that!
John
1970 Elan S4 fhc with Strombergs and alternator
john w
New-tral

PostPost by: Steve G » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:35 am

The Old Italian wrote:I'll take this opportunity to show my present non-Lotus :oops: :wink:.

Wow, that's beautiful, any way you can keep the Guilia and get an Elan too?

I'm planning to take mine to the Nurburgring when it's finally on the road, that way you don't need a roll cage fitted as most (all?) UK tracks demand this. A roll cage is great if you; a) Don't mind it ruining the Elan's looks and b) Aren't a giant.

I will keep an eye out for a project car for you when I'm browsing and send you any links.
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: