Me & My +2

PostPost by: RobinElan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:46 pm

I have been an avid lotus fan since watching lotus in F1 from a boy (in the sixties).
I had to have a lotus I went to the lotus open day in 1979.
In 1983 I bought an Elan+2 130s I drove it for about 5 years and it has been off the road ever since.
I started what must be one of the longest rebuilds in history!
Its still ongoing. The joke was that it would be done for the millenium it came and went.
Then for various events of my daughters age. She is twenty one this year and it looks like I have missed this
anniversary as well!
I have rebuilt the engine myself, the gearbox has been rebuilt, new galv chassis, body painted and on rolling chassis.
Rewiring is well under way but has been for the last 3years!
Just need a bit of encouragement.
Look forward to speaking to many of you and asking advice.
RobinElan
New-tral

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:32 pm

Welcome (Robin?). Now get flaming on with it!! :lol:

You should get all the help and encouragement you need here. :wink:

Don't you remember what it was like to drive such a great car? What are you waiting for!
When do you reckon' it will be finished now? & yes... We will hold you to it... :wink:
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Higs » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:34 pm

Robin (?)

My Plus 2 came off the road in 1986 (just after I got married - funny that). What started as a noisy 4th gear synchro sort of got out of hand: might as well clean up the engine bay; well, new wiring would be good; how about a new interior; what about the breaks etc etc.

So now it's well into 25 years for its second rebuild. In truth, not a lot happened while the children grew up. Now I am starting up again - hope to finish this year or next. Daughter 21 in April so I've missed that as well.

Welcome!

Richard
Higs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Lotus fan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:14 am

Mine came off the road in April 2000 for a 5 year max restoration.
I've finished the body (repair & respray)
Chassis & suspension (rebuild)
I'm now rebuilding the engine !!!
Time has just flown by :shock:
But my philosophy is....................................................................................
if you're going to do a job.............................................................................
DO IT PROPERLY :-)

Ian.
Lotus fan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:34 am

Robin ? I thnk. Where are you located? If you are anywhere near Atlanta, Georgia, ....myself and a couple of other Elan enthusiasts will be over to look at your project, make a list of what has to be done and prioritize it for you. Then if you don't get going, we'll kick your ........... well, we'll give you encouragement.

None of us is getting any younger and it you want to do something, you better get with it !!!

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Tonyw » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:41 am

Robin,

My S3 DHC was pulled of the road in 1989 for a re-build, the owner sold it to me as an unfinished 'project" in 2006, I will be driving it this year hopefully before April so mine has been a 22 year jounrey assuming i do get it finished.

Welcome to this list everything you ever wanted to know is in the archives if not then it will be in the collective memory and knowledge of the board members, good luck and do try and set a realistic completion date.

Tonyw
Second childhood? no just an extension of my first.
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:28 am

Robin,
'68S4 DHC. Purchased in Hong Kong in 1987 needing some (lots) of work. Finally back on the road March this year, in OZ. Take the offer that Frank is extending. Enthusiasm is catching, believe me.
Colin.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi

Took my +2 off the road to replace a broken rear spring and donut; that was before my first daughter was born. She will be 4 on Thursday. Hoping to get time this year to fix it and drive it in the summer. On a plus point I paid ?4,500 for it which would have earned very little in a bank; I guess it's worth about ?7,500 now. :D

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RobinElan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks for all your replys and encouragement.
I have been in the garage the last couple of nights, not thinking about where to start on the car!
But where to start trying to clear a path to get to the car!
Youll all be glad to know you have already got me moving at least :D
I have uploaded a picture of the car as it stands (on axle stands).
I am sure I will be asking for technical assistance or advice.
Looking forward to getting the car on the road and meeting you all and the cars of course.
Robin
RobinElan
New-tral

Total Online: