Modified Elan s3 1/2

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:44 am

Just a thought....what's wrong with packin' 'em off to the "elanmods" group on Yahoo, which is described as:

"Performance modifications for the Lotus Elan. . Handling, engine, gearbox, differentials, wheels and tires are the main concern of this group if you have other non-performance concerns please take it to the Lotuselan group"

After all, the M100 geezers are sent to "lotuselancentral" with no probs.

rd
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:24 pm

ardee_selby wrote:Just a thought....what's wrong with packin' 'em off to the "elanmods" group on Yahoo, which is described as:

"Performance modifications for the Lotus Elan. . Handling, engine, gearbox, differentials, wheels and tires are the main concern of this group if you have other non-performance concerns please take it to the Lotuselan group"

rd

Send them off to the Colonies, U.S., Australia, and the rest of the outposts like you used to do with the undesirables.
Great idea. There is only one problem, the moderator/owner of the group is a Masshole! I kind of know him well, Ask Beauregard if you need a second opinion.

Gary
Last edited by garyeanderson on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:31 pm

This is an interesting point, perhaps if I left this group and joined Elanmods I could get all uppity about people coming onto the group talking about making their cars standard :lol:

ardee_selby wrote:Just a thought....what's wrong with packin' 'em off to the "elanmods" group on Yahoo, which is described as:

After all, the M100 geezers are sent to "lotuselancentral" with no probs.

rd

I'm amazed that a simple and maybe misguided newbie post has caused such controversy, Pete said .....YAWN.... which I thought was a bit terse, but I read his profile and recent posts and realised that he didn't care a hoot and has settled into a familiar 5 gear I was here first sort of attitude.......... take him or leave him, he likes winding people up and having a laugh at their expense, you won't shame him into going away. :roll: The modifying thing won't be going away either, people are fitting 5 speed Lotus boxes to cars that didn't have them when they left the factory.... thats a modification, a lot of people are repainting their cars in base and clearcoat, thats a modification, I doubt there are many un-modified cars left.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elan6speed » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:01 pm

All I can say is wow! I'm fairly thick skinned so didn't take offence to the comment but am overwhelmed by the responses. Thanks everyone for the welcome and I will certainly take on board the comments regarding modifications that owners have already done to their chariots. I did quite a lot of research into the 6 speed box and would like to know which box Bob has used in his elan as I couldn't get most to fit without changing gear with my elbow.
Can anyone help in sourcing a wiper motor and gearboxes is it the same as an early mg midget?

Photos to follow shortly if I havn't been blacklisted
Peter
elan6speed
New-tral

PostPost by: elan6speed » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:55 pm

Just read all 4 pages of responses, for the non believers the car has the Vegantune engine that was fitted in the Evante 1/2 way between a standard twink and a BDA based on ford crossflow block with their own head and cam carriers and external belt drive. The gearbox which is in manuafacture is a 6 speed sequential helical geared box with my own modified gear stick carrier made by Elite transmissions in Stoke. Should be ready this month will post photos and details when it arrives.
Regards Peter
elan6speed
New-tral

PostPost by: gordont » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:00 pm

well done Peter, looking forward to hearing how the build goes and seeing the pics.
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:16 am

Peter,

I apologize for doubting you.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bob » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi All,

I hope you all dont mind, can I ask a couple of questions?

1/ Is a six speed gearbox normal in an S4?
2/ Can someone tell me, if the engine in my S2 is standard?
3/ Same question for my +2 or should I put that on the plus 2 section?

I have attached photos of the engines in question.
Attachments
zetec.jpg and
Cosworth.jpg and
S4, S2 and a +2 Zetec on the way
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:17 pm

err thinking no no and no to all 3 questions - though happy to be corrected
isn't the elan this one with the BDP? elan-for-sale-f2/elan-with-cosworth-bdp-for-sale-t20303.html
?dvert said - "2000cc Aluminum Cosworth BDP dry sump..."
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bob » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:26 pm

Spot on Sold its mine
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:51 pm

well no a 2000cc Aluminum Cosworth BDP dry sump is not a standard elan engine. (neither is the Zetec in the plus 2) :?
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mark B » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:27 pm

elan6speed wrote:Just read all 4 pages of responses, for the non believers the car has the Vegantune engine that was fitted in the Evante 1/2 way between a standard twink and a BDA based on ford crossflow block with their own head and cam carriers and external belt drive. The gearbox which is in manuafacture is a 6 speed sequential helical geared box with my own modified gear stick carrier made by Elite transmissions in Stoke. Should be ready this month will post photos and details when it arrives.
Regards Peter

Hi Peter and glad you have made it back and do exist after all... :wink:

Are you using an IL300 by elite by any chance? We used them a bit in westfields and I live only about 25 mins away from them.

Best Regards,
Mark.
Mark B
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:58 pm

No point in owning an ant stick if you don't use it once in a while. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I am SERIOUSLY envious of that motor in the red car. Could you post some more shots?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bob » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:52 pm

Away from home at moment I will post more photos and information shortly
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elan6speed » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:44 pm

Hi Mark,
In answer to your question its the IL200 that I'm using, 2 reasons the 200 will handle up to 180 brake so my 150 will be fine, also size matters ( so I keep being told ) and the Il300 won't fit without a lot of chassis mods. I am told by Elite that they have a customer fitting the 300 in because he has lots of power. Incidentally I dont think I have dealt with a nicer company - very helpful - would recommend them to anyone wanting a gearbox upgrade.

Regards Peter
elan6speed
New-tral

PreviousNext

Total Online: