New Member with Big Project

PostPost by: rodgerslotus » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:31 pm

Kieran & Graham

I just finished a Lotus +2 project similiar to yours.

The 1972 Elan had been parked in a unheated garage since 1975. It had 22k miles. Body and interior were great, the rest was unknown.

After performing many of the recommeded maintance checks listed in this forum I was ready to turn the engine over. Only checking for engine rotation.

The MG motto is "Safety First" and it applies also to Lotus. Fire X should be at hand and ready. :!:

Installed new battery and checked for voltage at the starter sol and with a trusty old screw driver and a quick strike across the sol posts and the engine turned over. Here where the good part starts. I forgot how much Marvin Mystery Oil I had put into the cylinders. Now, my garage ceiling has a nice red taint color. much like a modern painting. Appeared I had struck oil. :shock:

After clean up of what oil I could reach and installing shop rags over the cylinders, I was ready check for oil pressure. Within a few quick turns of the key, oil pressure was at 45psi. :)

Installed fresh plugs and with small squeeze bottle of gas to spray down the carb throats I was ready to go. I hooked up my remote starter switch and turned the key to the run position. Couple of sprays down each throat and the Lotus breath life again.

Here is the scary part, no where in any auto shop manual have I read stated check for mice and sunflower shells in the exhaust system. Unknown to myself that the exhaust system clogged. After a minute of run time the pressure was building and 2 explosions occured, one under the car and one at the tail pipe. Smoke, mice guts and sunflower shells were all over the shop. A warm liquid was running down both my pant legs so additional clean was required. :oops:

The Lotus is now running fine and finishing all required repairs.
Hope you have enjoyed the humor and advice of starting a old Lotus. Good luck and be safe.

Regards,
Ty Rodgers
Tiger, Healey, Morgan, Lotus, MGA, MGA
rodgerslotus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:19 am

THE BEST FIRST POST OF ALL TIME AWARD GOES TO... rodgerslotus !
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: