Old Elans owned: Can anyone help track them down?

PostPost by: hardcastlephil » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Hi All - i'm new to this so please excuse any mistakes i make, but i'm hoping that someone on this site will be able to help me - or at least point in the right direction!

My Father was a mechanic through the 70's and had a string of Elans of all kinds. He has just retired and also purchased a basket case S3 to restore (after he's finished jobs for my mother of course!). I'm hoping for information on some of the cars - maybe you bought one from him? According to the DVLA one of the Elans below is still on the road - this is STH 10k - a yellow FHC sprint. I hope that the owner uses this site?

My father lived, and still lives just outside Pocklington in East Yorkshire - the house is pretty remote so i'm sure that people who bought or sold him elans would remember going there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My email address is [email protected] and it would be great to hear from people.

Sorry about the picture quality - i scanned them in but had to crop them quite a bit to fit on the site.

Thank you

Phil
Attachments
rsz_1rsz_elan_plus_2_77.jpg
A Black Elan plus 2. Dad said that it never ran particularly well. It was bought by a chap who travelled up from London and was collected my my father at 6am from York station. Apparently my mum gave him breakfast only after he had produced a carrier bag full of cash! Taken in 77.
rsz_1rsz_elan_plus_2_77.jpg (24.1 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
rsz_yello_lotus_76.jpg and
This one came as just a shell to my dad in 75. It had no engine and i believe was sold on with a standard x-flow in! It had been destined to go to Sweden as a race car but never made it. I'm surprised its not around still?
rsz_dsw_833f_77.jpg and
DSW 833F - Bought from Kelso, my mum thinks it was a Mr Turnbull. Sold to a York milkman my father seems to think. Taken in 75.
rsz_1sth_10k_80.jpg and
STH 10K. Elan sprint taken in 1980. Apparently sold to a chap in Cheshire and still on the road in the same colour.
PLP 800E Front 74.JPG and
This is PLP 800E: Not on the road now according to DVLA, but by far my fathers favourite car. It was his first Elan and started life as a FHC before he converted it to DHC. Does anyone know where it went? Pic taken in 74.
Last edited by hardcastlephil on Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hardcastlephil
New-tral

PostPost by: theelanman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:32 pm

I know where STH 10K is......
and yes its still in cheshire....
its a DHC with yellow over white
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: hardcastlephil » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Forgot to say - i think the reg of the Yellow elan with wide arches was SRS 288H.

Thanks!
hardcastlephil
New-tral

PostPost by: hardcastlephil » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:40 pm

Ahh - thats very interesting! Does that mean its been re-shelled/converted, or could it be a different car altogether?

Does the car go out much? I'd quite like to get my father to see it.
hardcastlephil
New-tral

PostPost by: theelanman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:02 pm

yes the car goes out quite a bit...its been to le mans at least 4 times now :)

not sure if it was converted or had a body swap.....
it was on here a while back....even had the pics when it was a FHC...
I'll see if I can find a link :)
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:26 pm

I'm sure Pete will be along soon, for he owns your father's old Sprint. It was originally a FHC though has now been converted to a DHC and it looks very smart. I'll let Pete fill in the rest for you and he will be interested to chat with you and your father about his car.

I think it is marvellous when we can connect our cars and their past in this way, it all adds to the joy of ownership.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: John Larkin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:40 pm

Has anyone on this forum ever owned RMP 22F or TRE 812G?

John Larkin.
1967 S3SE FHC, 1974 Rover P6B, 1949 Lancia Aprilia
John Larkin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:56 pm

Just remind me, I can`t find it in the archives, what is the DVLA web address for checking if car are still registered?
Thanks,
Jim
P.S. Our car, LPM 7 E, had only one owner from new until 2002 when Xanthos (who do the 23B replicas) restored it and sold it to me. The original owner, a now quite old chap from the south coast, has been up to see and drive the car and we keep in contact, which is nice.
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:20 am

Hi Jim,

Go here and click on vehicle enquiry:

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/?SKIN=directgov

Cheers

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:43 pm

Phil,
Not sure that your father sold the car to Cheshire, according to the huge file which came with it possibly it was sold more locally to your dad then, across to Cumbria and thence to me.

I have the advert placed by your dad, clipped from a paper, or Exchange and Mart and some invoices with your dad's name on, possibly MoTs from that time as well. Also got early history which mush have been passed on by your dad with the car.

I'll bring you up to speed via e-mail but (as I work at Royal Mail) I'm right up it at the moment! :roll:

Cheers,
Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: hardcastlephil » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:08 pm

Thank you,

It's amazing to think that in less than 24 hours of posting the message the owner has already been in touch!

I am looking forward to hearing from you in due course Pete - the car looks beautiful now, and i hope it will spur my father on to getting the S3 restoration finished.

Thank you to all on this forum - any further info on the other cars would be much appreciated!

Best

Phil
hardcastlephil
New-tral

Total Online: