Lotus Archives

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi Peter

Jeff Cocking set up the yahoo group back in early 1999 to which this group/site is a continuation of. There was a registry for the Elan's on this site back in around 2001 or 2002 (self-serve?) which proved to be somewhat unmanageable so it was shelved.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/lot ... ages/1?l=1

Jim Boone was an early member of the above yahoo group and saw a need to continue it. It was set up and went live in January 2004. It's been a ongoing web site since then and I as well as several others let new members of this site know about it so it will grow.

http://www.elanregistry.org/list_cars.p ... ME_sys_sfn[0]=19&PME_sys_sfn[1]=2&PME_sys_sfn[2]=3&PME_sys_sfn[3]=4

Tim Mees decided the type 26 needed its own registry a couple years ago and set out to find as many of the surviving Roadsters as possible. He got a lot of support from several members of this community and many were found. It was indeed a sad end to the story when Tim passed away.

To answer your question, I can't. As long as Jeff keeps this site active there will be someone here to direct folks with questions where they can declare there ownership of an elan or Plus2.

Tim Wilkes has been an active member here for a since late 2003 and has his own site

http://www.lotuselansprint.com/

Each of these sites has something to offer the various Elan/Plus2 owners. I think that they are all needed and all add value to everyone that owns or wants to own any of the Elan's supported by these folks. I don't know what is happening with the type 26 registry, I do hope that someone takes it on and continues where Tim has left off. His dedication to the early Elan will be hard to replace.

As you can see from reading this topic it is a general consensus that not a lot is agreed upon by all of us that are concerned with the future of the Elan. That is a all encompassing word. It includes the types 26. 36. 45. And 50. With a potential of around 13,000 Lotus cars, it is a large block of Lotus History. I think that may be one of the reasons that it is neglected as its just too large a group for one person to get there teeth into and hold on for long. We all come from different backgrounds and walks of life but we all have in our hearts a spot for the Lotus Elan.

Well I didn?t answer your question but gave you a bit of history of where and when things developed, I hope its not too disjointed to read and understand,

Gary E. Anderson
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:45 pm

I appologise for going right off topic but I am so upset to hear that Tim Mees has died.
Some years ago I was going to buy his Dino bodied twincam Europa from him.
He was having big problems with his back & couldn't forsee himself driving the car again.
Tim then informed me that his back was cured so the sale fell through.
I was fortunate to meet up with him & his car later at a Lotus track day at Castle Combe & we had an enjoyable very long chat & he seemed to be in fine shape.
A sad loss indeed; I hope they have Lotus' where you are now Tim.

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:53 pm

D.J.Pelly wrote:I appologise for going right off topic but I am so upset to hear that Tim Mees has died.
Some years ago I was going to buy his Dino bodied twincam Europa from him.
He was having big problems with his back & couldn't forsee himself driving the car again.
Tim then informed me that his back was cured so the sale fell through.
I was fortunate to meet up with him & his car later at a Lotus track day at Castle Combe & we had an enjoyable very long chat & he seemed to be in fine shape.
A sad loss indeed; I hope they have Lotus' where you are now Tim.

John

Hi John

More about Tim Mees passing, seems many missed the post.
free-parking-f19/tim-mees-passing-truely-saddened-this-news-t21054.html
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: