Sprint two tone demarcation line

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:58 am

jimj wrote:.......... I also think, so therefore it must be right! that the monotone option on the original Sprints was much more tasteful, .................
Jim (the aesthete)

So do I and you can see what I have.....

<<------------
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:52 pm

My car was repainted Yellow over black (at my request) by Vegantune of Spalding back in 1982 83.

So they chose the stripe position. Which you can see is approx, centre of rear bumper to bottom of front bumper.

Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:16 pm

I hope this doesn't add to the confusion, but here is a photo of my Elan that shows where I placed the demarcation line. I did study several pictures back when (in the early 1980s) I drew the line the first time. It seemed to me that the line coincided with the bottom of the front bumper and just went straight back, ending, coincidentally, with the top line of the rear bumber. I have no tape that covers the dividing line.

Best regards,

Andy
Attachments
elan in pitlane.jpg and
Last edited by abstamaria on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:22 pm

Here is a clearer photo, which I had problems uploading earlier.

abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:34 pm

Andy,

Wow. :shock: Your paint scheme is exactly what I have in mind for mine. That BRG looks great over white and the idea of no pinstripe at all is something I had never thought of. To get it right, obviously there can be no margin of error during the painting process. Still can't decide between green over white and blue over white but your photos are swaying me towards green. Many thanks for posting them.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:57 pm

I am glad you found that useful, Howard. BRG is a good default color, but I can imagine that blue - even a light blue - over white would be very attractive and unique. I am not sure now what blues Lotus had for your year Elan. Good luck.

Andy
1969 S4 DHC
Manila
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:09 pm

Andy,

If I go with blue over white, I want the same blue that Lotus used on the Sprint. If you ever get the chance, check out plate 9 in the center of Chris Harvey's book LOTUS: THE ELITE, ELAN, EUROPA.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:13 pm

Frank, I can't imagine the two tone being a problem for any decent painter. Many, many cars have stripes put on via paint; Shelby Mustangs come to mind , both old and new.

Good luck,

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:27 pm

Greg, I have an idea on where to make your demarcation line. Since you already have the stripe. Let's just tape it in place, see how it looks and if it looks good, we'll take some measurements to give your painter.
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:32 pm

Frank Howard wrote:Andy, If I go with blue over white, I want the same blue that Lotus used on the Sprint. If you ever get the chance, check out plate 9 in the center of Chris Harvey's book LOTUS: THE ELITE, ELAN, EUROPA.

Oddly enough, I remember that picture, Frank, although I hadn't looked at the book in a long while until today. That seems to be a metallic, and I had often wondered what it looked like in the flesh. Perhaps there are pictures somewhere in this forum.

My Elan was once Corvette yellow over white. That was very attractive, and some friends tell me I shouldn't have switched back to BRG over white. I can't locate a picture in this computer, except this fuzzy one, taken in 1998.
Attachments
picture Elan & Mini.jpg
picture Elan & Mini.jpg (14.75 KiB) Viewed 923 times
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:43 am

Frank, I was taking some photos of another car this afternoon and thought I would take these, which you might find useful. Here is a view from the side that might show the height of the demarcation more clearly:

And here are the ends of the car:

I know that some Elans have the lower halves continue into the interior (as if the car were dipped in white to the demarcation line), but I preferred that the white end a cm or so into the door cavity. I am not sure which is "original," and perhaps someone on the forum can advise on this.

Good luck, and post pictures of your progress please.

Andy
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:53 pm

Andy,

WOW :!: Now that's what I had in mind! Interesting treatment of the door openings. You're photos are making it more difficult for me to choose between green and blue. I still think a silver pinstripe at the demarcation line would be a nice finishing touch, but that's just my opinion. My main point is that such a pinstripe would end at the top of the leading edge of the rear bumper and not continue above it like the wide factory stripe does.

Thank you for taking the time to post the excellent photos Andy.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:17 pm

I think that possibly the most important aspect is that the demarcation line is accurately HORIZONTAL at the normal ride height of the car.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:24 pm

Frank - just to add to your dilemma.

Note my demarcation line is mid bumper at the front and top of the bumper at the rear - and done by highly respected UK painters.
Attachments
P1040383.JPG and
P1040354.JPG and
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:16 pm

abstamaria wrote:I know that some Elans have the lower halves continue into the interior (as if the car were dipped in white to the demarcation line), but I preferred that the white end a cm or so into the door cavity. I am not sure which is "original," and perhaps someone on the forum can advise on this.

Andy

The white should continue into the shuts to be original.

That's a nice looking car
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: