Just purchased 26/4050

PostPost by: Tahoe » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:17 pm

Just purchased 26/4050. Car is currently in Oregon and will be in Tahoe in approx 2 weeks. I don't know if anyone here is familiar with this car but as time goes on I'll post as many details as I can. Car is RHD, currently red with mild fender flare, Panasport wheels, Spyder chassis and roll bar, hartop, and misc spares. It's a good driver as is, and I plan on just enjoying it and making it a better driver along with restoring certain aspects of the car over time. Pics later.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:03 pm

Way cool! Welcome to the joys of S2 ownership!
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:45 pm

Congrats! I've got a RHD Elan in the States too. You'll love it, although passing on a mountain pass in Tahoe could be a little tricky ... you have to swing out in the opposing lane to see what's coming. Other than that, a hundred smiles per gallon!

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint FHC (RHD)
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:34 am

summerinmaine wrote:Way cool! Welcome to the joys of S2 ownership!

Thankyou summersinmaine! We must talk, as you own my last S2. I've since moved to Tahoe and had to sell seven cars to payoff the divorce I went through, when you bought the '66. Anyway I'm back on track, and started looking for another S2 some time ago. I wasn't looking for a RHD, but it worked out that way. I very much look forward to the journey of enjoying and working on my 4th Lotus.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:51 am

Tahoe wrote:
summerinmaine wrote:Way cool! Welcome to the joys of S2 ownership!

Thankyou summersinmaine! We must talk, as you own my last S2. I've since moved to Tahoe and had to sell seven cars to payoff the divorce I went through, when you bought the '66. Anyway I'm back on track, and started looking for another S2 some time ago. I wasn't looking for a RHD, but it worked out that way. I very much look forward to the journey of enjoying and working on my 4th Lotus.

Jeez Russ, I had no clue that was you! I've recently pulled it all apart again, and am just ready to re-assemble. It's been a long time, and I'm glad to hear that you've rejoined the fold. I just recently sold my RHD 65 S2 (that I owned since 1977) to another member here. Small world indeed.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:05 pm

HI Russ

Sound like you have a good one coming to you, nothing like the mix of early S2 and late Elan 1600 parts to keep folks looking at the Elan and wondering what it is. Please post photos when you get it. Also I was wondering what set of pedals does the car have? I have 26/4020 Body Number 3569 with the trapezoidal pedals

and also have 26/4045 Body Number 3691 with the standard box shaped pedals

Out of curiosity, which pedals does the RHD 26/4050 have and what is the Body Number.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:58 pm

Gary,

All of the documentation will be coming with the car and I'll check the pedals as soon as gets here. If you want any other info documented I'll check it out. Car should be here on the 15th if the weather holds up. Already starting to get snow at the higher elevations. I did take a bunch of pics when I drove up to drive it, but looking through them I didn't see any pictures showing the pedals. I'll wait until it gets here before posting any pics. Since the weather is changing fast I'll probably get it registered the same day it gets here, and then run it in my garage to look it over as much as possible. One thing I'll need to do is get it tuned for our elevation. I'm at 6500 feet, but will be driving mostly between 4000 and 8500 feet.

Another thing I need to do is check out what I thought were hard brakes. The PO just put new front calipers and pads on the front, but didn't do anything to the back that I know of. The owner before him put a dual master in as well so I need to dig into what is there as far as bore sizes, etc., and check the rears to make sure they're working okay.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:10 pm

Gary

Body number 3692 and trapazoid pedals. With only 1 body number difference and 5 different in the serial number from yours. There must have been a switch about then with yours getting the new pedals and mine the old. Probably depended who grabbed what first as they were assembled.

,Russ
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:06 am

Hi Russ

Thanks for letting me know. we are waiting for the photos to be uploaded now :)

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: