Lotus 7, Series 2 or 3

PostPost by: s2lola » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:21 pm

Yes I realize that this is not an Elan post. But since we've all been bitten by the Lotus bug, I thought I'd query the group on this. I'd like a Seven to park next to my Elan.

However, I have been unsuccessful in securing a Series 2 or 3 project (not to be raced, but to be street driven). Oh sure, there are a few cars out there like the one I looked at last week - C$11,000 for frankly nothing more than a box of misc parts and a VIN plate! I mean, nothing usable, including the entire chassis and all but two fenders (repros). I'm not wedded to a car complete with engine, drivetrain, etc...., but it would truly be nice if the car was together enough to roll on 4 wheels when pushed. Do we know of a member on this list who may have a decent project for sale (or a friend who has one)? If so, please feel free to pass on my contact info.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Tebbutt
s2lola
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:41 pm

Hi Bill,
A seven is a vastly different beast on a human factor level. I did about twenty minutes in my brother's Caterham at Laguna Seca racetrack a few years ago and when I went to get out I instantly had leg craps in both legs. I had to roll out of it onto the gravel covered paddock writhing in pain. Everyone had a good laugh at my expense. :oops: If you haven't driven one yet then it might be a shock to experience the comfort level difference. Oh yeah, my brother has lost his hearing in his left ear almost completely in just 15k miles.
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sk178ta » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:21 pm

Sorry to hear about Keith`s leg craps !! $s make me think that you are not from around here. I`ve driven, and loved, my S3 Elan on various tracks but in the interests of longevity (car not me) I share a Westfield (Lotus 7 copy) for track days. Anglesey this Sunday.
Driving to and from the track is a pain if it`s far, but for short and racey blasts it`s brilliant fun. Keith must be even older than I thought.
Here in the UK there are loads of 7 clones, but for an original Lotus 7 you`d be looking at a minimum of ?10K.
Jim
sk178ta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:42 pm

gee Kieth--maybe it was your time of the month---I drive my 7 all summer SPRING and fall ----aside from gathering a crowd when I'm wearing a kilt and getting in or out of the thing there are really no problems ---take a midol and try again ---or perhaps try a miata :lol: --- [but the cramping may have been caused by loss of potassium and electrolytes---I eat bananas and rehydrate with fruit drinks on hot race days ] you would be amazed at what a clenched sphincter can do for your lap times --ED
Last edited by twincamman on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:46 pm

hi Bill you might try Peter mc golorn-[sp?-]--I don't know if he has tried to reassemble his after the shunt at turn 10 2 years ago --Caterham chassis are as close as damn is to swearing and are quicker and cheaper than repairing an old 7 chassis --safer too [ sorry I didn't have more time to talk at Bronte --had to get registered ---15000 remember ? :oops: -ed law
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mct340 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:38 am

Bill,
www.super7cars.com
Canadian,eh?
Regards,
Mike
mct340
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:58 am

>Caterham chassis are as close as damn is to swearing and are quicker and cheaper than repairing an old 7 chassis --safer too

So they should be, all the original chassis produced, both Lotus and Caterham have been built by Arch Motors. There are a huge number of Caterham chassis variants though, mainly associated with the rear end/axle location.

I think Arch Motors will still take in a damaged chassis and rebuilt it to as new for a reasonable price.
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:39 pm

Hey Ed,
I'd didn't say it wasn't a total rush to drive a rocket Super7. Had a moment when in 2nd Gear at WOT when it oversteered a little. Had it pointed towards and perpendicular to the cement inside pitwall about 40 feet away coming out of the Turn 11 and recovered it without spinning. What a performance car! Nipped a piece out of the seat that time though. :D

p.s. You destroyed my concentration yesterday afternoon making me laugh that hard with the folding bucket joke. Troublemaker! :lol:
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: leojenbo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:03 pm

Hi Bill,
as an owner of both an Elan Sprint FHC and two Seven S2, I must admit that the Elan is much more practical and I also enjoy to drive it over long distances, but for me the Sevens offers even more fun. :lol:
Take a look at www.simplesevens.org which always has Lotus Sevens for sale.
Cheers
Leo
Elan Sprint FHC 1971
Seven S2 1961
Seven S2 1962
leojenbo
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:55 pm

I also have 7 and an ?lan ---I find they both manage to strand me an equal distance from home - :cry: -ed
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:11 pm

Bill -- theres a caterham 7 on the loony lotus site for 32000 US -----[not far off the 40000 cdn I said it would cost] 8) ed
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Marc Nichols » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:36 am

Bill, try my friend Bill Rinke. [email protected] Bill has a very nice 7 S-2 1500 which he vintage raced for a number of years but mostly now drives on the street or enters in shows. Pretty much top of the line car. Pat Prince re built tub and pro built engine. He recently mentioned he was thinking of selling. His years probably call for something slightly more plush.

I owned a Europa for 26 years and have been racing our 7 since '88 plus a non Lotus FJ. Recently acquired my dream, an Elan S-2. By comparison, the 7 is an early single seat fighter compared to the Elans modern corporate jet, IMHO. The Elan is wonderfully plush and efficient. The (our) 7 is utterly simple, brutal and as fast as most 26Rs. Certainly have found both to fit our needs, each in their own way.

Marc
Marc Nichols
New-tral

PostPost by: Alasdair » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:20 pm

Super 7, been there loved that!

May I suggest a local Ontario, Canada Westfield, 1600 with Delortos good runner looks good at not a silly price.

Not mine but can direct to owner if requested.

Alasdair, Oakville, Ontario.
Alasdair
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: