Knobs

PostPost by: Tonyw » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:15 am

Hi all,

Knobs..............can anyone please tell which vehicle (I assume Cortina) the windscreen wiper and headlight switches came from? I have the switches but my knobs are broken and I know you will agree it is not a good thing to have two broken knobs..................

While I am in begging mode I want to set up my radiator onto the chassis/frame before I put the body on in order to test run the engine and make sure there are no leaks etc can some please let me know the distance between the fan pulley front face and the radiator? and the height of the radiator as it relates to the top of the cam cover?

Thanking you in anticipation....

Regards,

Tony W
Second childhood? no just an extension of my first.
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rmd24 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:04 am

Hi Tony,
Sorry to hear about your knob trouble,always a problem that!
On my S4 the top of the radiator is approx 5cm below the level of the front of the cam cover and there is 2cm clearance between the rad and the front of the fan.
Hope this helps.
Roger.
rmd24
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:19 pm

In an Elan the rad is secured to the fibreglass body, methinx, not the chassis, so without the body you will need to improvise fixings for it.

If you fit the standard rubber coolant tubes on the rad, you won't have much option on where you put the radiator w.r.t the engine.

For testing I suggest you remove the metal blades from the pump pulley as they would be dangerous without the protection of a fully secured radiator in front of it.

Just use an ordinary desk fan, temporarily, blowing through the radiator.

You probably won't run it long enough to get the water near 100 deg C in any case, though of course the cooling system won't be at full pressure until it is in that region.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tonyw » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:48 pm

Roger & Bill,

Thanks for the replies, I did realise the rad is connected to the body not the frame so I needed to know roughly how to make my temporary set up. Not having a top or bottom hose yet I was trying to get ahead of the game.

Still no word on the knobs though, i thought that would be an easy one.....

Tony W
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi Tony
which car do you have?
Pretty sure the lights and wiper switch are Mk1 and Mk2 Cortina

AHA! wiper switch knob....it's not a rocker switch so probably an S3.

still the same...could be late Anglia too

http://bringatrailer.com/2008/07/07/sup ... mk1-wagon/

http://autopendium.com/tagged_photos/steering-wheel
(Crayford Cortina MK2)
Paul
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:43 pm

Tonyw wrote:Hi all,

Knobs..............can anyone please tell which vehicle (I assume Cortina) the windscreen wiper and headlight switches came from? I have the switches but my knobs are broken and I know you will agree it is not a good thing to have two broken knobs..................

Thanking you in anticipation....

Regards,

Tony W

Tony,

The Elan Parts List (the early one) lists the windscreen wiper and washer switch (combined) as Lotus part no. (L) 89SA and proprietary part no. 34325 (but does not ID the mfgr.). It also lists the washer knob (incl. spring and pip horn push (?)) as proprietary part no. CC 933610 (again no mfgr. ID). The most common suppliers for such items were, of course, Lucas and Ford.

The Lotus Elan Master Service Parts book says the same switch/pump fits S1-S3 and IDs the switch as Lotus part no. A026 M 6014 and the pump as no. A026 M 6008. The Master list does not cross reference to proprietary parts, I guess because Lotus was tired of sending away business by the mid-70s.

As for the headlight switch, the early says: 26 B 736 (no pp. ID no.) and the Master says A026 M 0736. These "switches" include the vacuum valve as well.

No separate listings for knobs.

Hope this helps.

BTW both of these parts guides have spectacular exploded diagrams of virtually everything, and are a great addition to the two editions of the workshop manual. But sometimes I can't help but wish there was a bit more info included.

Jim
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Tonyw » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:03 am

Thanks for the replies,

Looks like I need to get a parts listing to compliment my other books.

I will contact the local Cortina club and have a talk to them, they (Cortina's) are getting very scarce here as in recent years scrap metal has commanded a high price due to China's insatiable appetite for steel so most of the old wrecking/breakers yards have cleaned out all of the old stuff.

If anyone has any knobs for sale.........

Regards,

Tonyw

S3 DHC
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: prloz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:27 am

Hi Tony,
I have a new pair of Elan S3 radiator hoses for sale if you are interested. Asking AU$30.00 + postage.
Thanks.
Regards,
Peter.
prloz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:37 am

I guess we really need a picture of the old knobs to be sure , the ones on my +2 are the same as my old Anglia.
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:42 pm

Tonyw wrote:
Looks like I need to get a parts listing to compliment my other books.

S3 DHC

With all due respect..

I always used to make that spelling mistake too, until I really really decided to improve my spelling one week per word at a time.

Compliment; is to say you like something, eg. "I like the way you dress".; you are then complimenting the girl or dress.

remember "I" for INTEREST

Complement means something EXTRA, which improves the first object, often by providing the opposite facility. eg I need to get a parts listing to complement my other books.

remember: "E" for Extra

:lol:

Made me grin thinking of your "Parts List" saying "Oooh I do fancy your covers" to your other books.

:wink:
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:01 pm

Bill.....thanks for that.......no wonder you're up to fourth gear!

Paul
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:42 am

Hi Tony,

I managed to get the washer/wiper and headlight knobs as well as a choke knob/cable from an Anglia 105E. These were identical to the ones originally fitted to my S3 Lotus Elan. I suspect that the same knobs are also used for the early Ford Cortina's so there should be a number of potential sources.

The heater knob/cable is another matter. I have not be able to locate one of these, and they do not seem to be from the Cortina or Anglia (at least that is what my local auto dismantler has told me). If anyone does know of the source vehicle for this heater knob/cable I would be interested.

I have attached a photo of the knobs in question, for those who may be interested. This info has come from the Brian Buckland book.
Attachments
Knobs.JPG and
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Tonyw » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:54 am

Bill & Skittle,

Thanks for the English lesson and photo's, I have always got my possessive apostrophes mixed up as well, to old to change now or should that be "too" old to change now.......

The photo's posted by Skittle are indeed the same as I have although mine are broken so is the consensus that they are late Anglia?

Regards,

Tonyw
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:30 am

Hi Tonyw and others,

Remember that the knobs may be the same as the Anglia/Cortina, but the hardware they operate may be different on the Lotus. This is definitely true for the light knob which operates the vacuum switch on the Lotus to raise/lower the headlamps, and also the wiper switch on the Lotus is very different to that from the Anglia. The choke knob/cable are interchangeable, and I suspect the heater knob/cable are also interchangeable if i could nail down the donor car for this item.
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bluefield » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:45 am

Greetings,
I need a correct choke knob for my S1, I think the one on my car is from a MG. Is the knob detachable so I can switch it or do I need to pull out the whole cable? Also, when in the dashboard area - anybody know where I can get the aluminum strip that lines the underside of the dashboard? Mine is unfortunately in hundred small pieces...

Bluefield
26-3811
Bluefield
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: