stainless steel fixings

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:57 pm

D.J.Pelly wrote:Just a thought on the use of Rivnuts.
Alex mentioned in an earlier post about using them on the gearbox cross member; a horrible thing to get at with spanners in situ'.
However that area is right down where corrosion can easily occur (well if you don't have a leaky Twincam)
I was wondering how Rivnuts would stand up in that environment or more precisely what would stop them turning with the bolt if they were corroded together?
Maybe a weld nut would be more appropriate in areas like that?

Alex was talking about using Rivnuts on the chassis engine mount brackets in the same way as I've done. My recommendation to Alex was to weld nuts onto the brackets as I would have done if I'd had his welding equipment.
My first attempt at Rivnuts was on the gearbox mount - such a simple job now to remove and assemble.
Gearbox Mount.JPG and

Having said that, if I had a lift or pit I probably would not have bothered, but as I have to lie under the car, one handed jobs are favourites.
And stainless steel should not corrode, John, especially as I don't go out in the rain.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi Guys..

A general answer as I see it..

Rivnuts on the gearbox mount..Corrosion etc.. I will give them a little lithium grease just in case but.. I have never seen a dry gearbox mount! They are always oily from some seepage somewhere... So I doubt I will have an issue here.

Security of the rivnut fastener... Untested to be honest but.. I come across them all the time on machinery various and never seen one slack. .. So far!! They do take one hell of a grip and provided that the fastener going into it is in good nick I doubt you will get it to slacken off. But.. I stand to be corrected (said the guy in the orthopedic shoes!! :lol: :lol: :lol:) If you consider a bolt with a nut on, how often have you been able to stop it from turning with your fingers? the chances are good providing the nut is 'free' on the threads. Yes?? No?.. .... :roll:

Engine mounts with the rivnuts in? Not sure! I have had a few tussles over the years with engine fitting and trying to get bolts through the holes in the mount (usually with ones teeth!! :lol: :lol: ) whilst fiddling like blazes to line everything up!... So, I might leave as is and come up with something to get me at those nuts. But hey.. How often does one remove them? I can live with as is..

I will let you all know how the rivnuts in the gearbox mounting works, but I don't see any snags.. They are plated steel.

Alex..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:07 pm

alexblack13 wrote:Hi Guys..

Rivnuts on the gearbox mount..Corrosion etc.. I will give them a little lithium grease just in case but.. I have never seen a dry gearbox mount! They are always oily from some seepage somewhere... So I doubt I will have an issue here.

Security of the rivnut fastener... Untested to be honest but.. I come across them all the time on machinery various and never seen one slack. .. So far!! They do take one hell of a grip and provided that the fastener going into it is in good nick I doubt you will get it to slacken off. But.. I stand to be corrected (said the guy in the orthopedic shoes!! :lol: :lol: :lol:) If you consider a bolt with a nut on, how often have you been able to stop it from turning with your fingers? the chances are good providing the nut is 'free' on the threads. Yes?? No?.. .... :roll:

Engine mounts with the rivnuts in? Not sure! I have had a few tussles over the years with engine fitting and trying to get bolts through the holes in the mount (usually with ones teeth!! :lol: :lol: ) whilst fiddling like blazes to line everything up!... So, I might leave as is and come up with something to get me at those nuts. But hey.. How often does one remove them? I can live with as is..

I will let you all know how the rivnuts in the gearbox mounting works, but I don't see any snags.. They are plated steel.

Alex..

Alex,

you're quite right; maybe you will encounter some problems in 20 years time if those bolts are left untouched; but hey I won't be around to ask questions then :lol:
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:17 pm

D.J.Pelly wrote:
alexblack13 wrote:Hi Guys..

Alex..

Alex,

you're quite right; maybe you will encounter some problems in 20 years time if those bolts are left untouched; but hey I won't be around to ask questions then :lol:
Cheers
John

You and me both John.. If I am I wont be fiddling with these either!!

A' ...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus14S2 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:42 pm

They are Tinnerman fasteners. "Google" Tinnerman, and you will most likely find a .pdf catalog with thousands of variations and materials. They have been used for at least 70 years in aircraft, and it should be no problem to find what you want in either a finish which is non-corrosive, or stainless if necessary.
You should find a distributor or retailer from the search.
Lotus14S2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Cyclist » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:51 pm

Well I must say it's wonderful to be around such well informed Elanistas. I only use rivnuts to get rid of the "fun" of holding a spire clip on the far side of the panel & then screwing a nice sharp self-tapping screw into my finger.....

Geoff
The Cyclist
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: