stainless steel fixings

PostPost by: richard sprint » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:13 am

I would be interested to know whether what I would term 'screw plates' for example the little items that receive the self tap screws behind the front side lights and used extensively throughout are still available and whether in stainless steel?

As a general question have others fitted stainless steel fasteners nuts/bolts/washers and have there been any negative results like becoming loose or shearing.

Finally the stockists who supply in small numbers in UNC/UNF and the self tap screws?
richard sprint
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:26 am

Give "Namrick" a try, I know that they sell S.St. Fasteners in small quantities.
Due to the way they work, the trim "Nuts" are made from Spring steel sheet, some are Zinc plated which offers a bit of protection from corrosion.
I've never seen any made from S.St.
They are still widely used within the industry & are available in many designs & sizes.
Sorry cannot provide you with a specific source.

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:38 am

Hi there

Assuming you're in the UK try http://www.namrick.co.uk

As far as the use of stainless steel fasteners goes, while high tensile ones are available, I wouldn't use them on anything critical.

I only ever use high tensile grade S (or better) nuts and bolts, zinc plated ones if appearance is important.

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:44 am

A few on ebay but none in stainless, (They are called Spire Clips)
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=SPIR ... m270.l1313

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:45 am

Richard

www.wrightsautosupplies.co.uk and www.bresco.com are worth a look.
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:09 pm

I've found these suppliers good for small quantities http://www.stagonset.co.uk/ + also worth looking on Ebay and searching for the specific size you need as the postage tends to be cheaper than the bigger suppliers - you can end up spending ?3 on postage for ?1 worth of small items

The other name for the screw fixings is speed nuts - I haven't found any in stainless.

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: westfieldfasteners » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:59 am

RichardS wrote:I've found these suppliers good for small quantities http://www.stagonset.co.uk/ + also worth looking on Ebay and searching for the specific size you need as the postage tends to be cheaper than the bigger suppliers - you can end up spending ?3 on postage for ?1 worth of small items

The other name for the screw fixings is speed nuts - I haven't found any in stainless.

Richard

This link is now dead.

You are welcome to try our new company with the details below.

Jason
westfieldfasteners
New-tral

PostPost by: spanner » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:25 pm

Also known as a Tinnerman fastener.... http://www.tinnerman.com/en/company/history.asp

Flat and several U type variations (with aircraft corrosion proofing) here: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/h ... nerman.php

Note the type B screw needed.

Jim
spanner
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Cyclist » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:28 pm

I decided to use "rivnuts" which are large diameter soft rivets with a screw in the base. They are very neat, but in europe it is difficult to get anything other than metric sizes. They aren't stainless & I have a small concern that I will run into electrolytic corrosion problems in the future.

In the US they will be available in UNF/UNC/ANC I'm sure.

Geoff
The Cyclist
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:26 pm

The Cyclist wrote:I decided to use "rivnuts" which are large diameter soft rivets with a screw in the base. They are very neat, but in europe it is difficult to get anything other than metric sizes. They aren't stainless & I have a small concern that I will run into electrolytic corrosion problems in the future.

I have used rivnuts in many places on my car - please explain how and where electrolytic corrosion can take place.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:32 am

bcmc33 wrote:I have used rivnuts in many places on my car - please explain how and where electrolytic corrosion can take place.

I don't know about these specific rivnuts but I think the poster was referring to corrosion due to direct contact between 2 different metals with an electrolyte (water/salt/etc) present. The rate of corrosion is proportional to the relative areas and the electric potential between the two metals, which of course depends on the metals involved.

Apologies if you're already aware, but metals are generally ranked according to their potentials in something called the Galvanic series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_series and to get a decent corrosion rate you generally pick one from the top, one from the bottom. For example, if you had a 316 stainless bolt and used an Aluminium nut, then you'd expect the nut to corrode quite badly. Guessing at the compositions of a rivnut with an aluminium "rivet" with either directly threaded aluminium or a threaded steel insert and using a steel bolt, then you'd expect corrosion at the Al/steel interface.

In practice this might be negligible because there are lots of mitigating factors to influence the rates - surface areas, constant/intermittent presence of electrolyte, simple protection with grease/waxoyl, etc.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:25 am

And one can get s/s rivnuts too...In Imperial.

I personally don't bother and use metric s/s fasteners where appropriate. DO NOT use where high tensile is required. but where normal around the engine bay etc fasteners are concerned they are fine. And they polish up like chrome.

All the best guys... :wink:

Al' ......
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:02 am

Love the thread drift. :wink:

I can't imagine that Spire clips (of whatever composition) would be used to fasten on anything "critical".

wrt the SS bolts supplied by Namrick, I did some non-scientific testing a while back vs "normal" mild steel items of the same sizes, using a vice and a torque wrench. The SS items are pretty tough! However, as previously posted, if HT bolts are specified, use HT bolts. :)
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:38 pm

The Cyclist wrote:I decided to use "rivnuts" which are large diameter soft rivets with a screw in the base. They are very neat, but in europe it is difficult to get anything other than metric sizes. They aren't stainless & I have a small concern that I will run into electrolytic corrosion problems in the future.

In the US they will be available in UNF/UNC/ANC I'm sure.

Geoff

The thought of using aluminium rivenuts had never crossed my mind. When you do use these with steel screws/bolts always use lithium grease to prevent any reaction.
I use steel/stainless steel rivnuts from http://www.memfast.co.uk/ (no connection).
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Just a thought on the use of Rivnuts.
Alex mentioned in an earlier post about using them on the gearbox cross member; a horrible thing to get at with spanners in situ'.
However that area is right down where corrosion can easily occur (well if you don't have a leaky Twincam)
I was wondering how Rivnuts would stand up in that environment or more precisely what would stop them turning with the bolt if they were corroded together?
Maybe a weld nut would be more appropriate in areas like that?

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: