Brian Buckland Book

PostPost by: Tonyw » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:25 pm

Folk's,

I have several books on the Lotus Elan and when I saw this book discussed here I was aprehensive about buying one, the book is by far the most expensive book I have ever considered buying, being in Western Australia and not knowing anyone in the State with another Lotus I took the plunge and ordered my copy on the 3rd of November, it arrived today and I must say I am very happy with it. The paper, pictures writing are all top quality.

Given that my car is a complete basket case with everything stripped I really feel I now have the instructions to put my jig saw puzzle together. Just buy one.

Tony W
Second childhood? no just an extension of my first.
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: prloz » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:21 am

Hi Tony,
I'm also in Australia and interested in the book, but reluctant to pay GBP35 postage. :(
Did you do any better ?
Thanks.
Regards,
Peter.
prloz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Tonyw » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:04 pm

Peter,

No I did not however the book weighs 3kg without packaging a very substantial book of 639 pages size A4 the paper is good quality not just photocopy paper, I am pleased with it. Where in Aus are you?

Tony W
Second childhood? no just an extension of my first.
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nico506 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:40 pm

Hi
Just been reading the long thread and natter on the above subject and whilst the cost of the book may appear steep, I have one I purchased some months ago after seeing it at Donnington and have to add that it represents good value for money.
Given that it has clarified and noted a number of areas of my Lotus Elan rebuild, much so that I am now thinking of doingome areas again- because other books and manuals such as the workshop manuals are not written in plain english and often the pictures/diagrams miss out some real important detail- such as the body/chassis seals where the body sits over the chassis above the diff mounts. There is no reference to this in the lotus manual (I think ). So from my point of view if the book is dentifying areas of detail within the Elan Model(s) that are weak and have been either improved, modified or noted this adds even more value to the information provided.
I fully recommend this book to those undergoing a restoration or simply to admire the ingenuity in Colin Chapman's Engineering developed from racing cars.
I also suggest that on buying the book I suggest you put the A4 paper leaves in plastic sleeves- this will allow you refer to this in the best of environments- the workshop with cup of tea to hand!!!!!!

Thought I 'd add my comments.

Nico
Lotus Elan S3 Coupe 1968 :lol:
nico506
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: prloz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:47 am

Tony,
I'm in Melbourne. Good luck with the re-build. :wink:
Regards,
Peter.
prloz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: wojeepster » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:33 am

I paid more for Brian's book than any I have ever bought. I just finished reading it (the first time). If he writes another, I think I will buy that too! If you look at all the posts, every person that has bought the book says it is fantastic (us) or brilliant (uk). It took me a little while to figure out what mole grips were :D but I really feel like I learned a good bit about elans reading it. If you own an elan and are wondering if it is worth it, it is. If you just want one like me, I think it is worth it too.
wojeepster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:18 am

Greetings all,
After all of the posts about Brian Buckland's book, even though my Elan has been restored, I purchased his book. The book is under valued. If you own an Elan you will need this book. I wish it was available 2 years ago. His knowledge has all of my respect. Thanks!
I found out that Brian had visited the US and one of his stops was with Dave Bean Engineering in California where he was shown my knockoff spinner tool and he took one home. Brian, have you had a chance to try it? I would value your option on my invention for Elans.
Being a old inventor, I will have a two eared spinner knockoff version soon for other cars.

Regards, Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:24 am

Anyone on here go to Stoneleigh at the weekend and sit in on Brian Buckland's talks? If so, a bit of feedback would be eagerly received. Also, did he do much book-signing?
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:35 am

I also wanted to hear what happened Sunday at stoneleigh. I tried to get a late flight to attend but got side tracked and could not make it. I missed a great chance to meet some other lotus owners. Maybe next time.

Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:11 pm

I was there & took the 1st page of my copy, which he gladly signed.
I didn't see many people hobbling around with their copies under there arms!
I sat in for the most of his talk on suspension. It was a bit fleeting but in fairness what can you cover in the given time.
Brian did appear to be a bit stage struck, probably nerves. I've spoken to him before & found him to be a nice person.
I got the feeling that there were some sour grape feelings with one or two of the major Lotus dealers there.
Probably they consider his book to be a threat in converting customers into DIY'ers.
I took some photo's of the "best Elan" presentations for Alan Morgan. Both he & Brian seemed to be a bit camera shy, Modest?.
This year the shed was a bit warmer, probably due to the milder weather & they did have the heating turned on.
About 9 Elan.net members left their mark in the book left on the table reserved for us.
One of us had made a posh black on aluminium sign (delivered at Donington I was told). Nice job. Obviously I binned my hand scribbled one :lol:
There were about 30 Elans in the display in the main area & a hell of a lot of Esprits in the covered parking area.
Paul Matty had a minter & a basket case on his stand & sold both of them.
TTR seemed also to be having a good day. Sue Miller could have used another pair of hands as well.
The engine bay of my Elan attracted a lot of attention. I didn't hang around to listen to the comments however :wink:
I think all of this info should have gone on to the Stoneliegh thread, oh well never mind.
All the best
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:03 pm

I bought a copy and managed to get it signed by Brian - I think I got the last copy from the club lotus stand.

I didn't stay for the talks myself as I was off parts hunting and chatting to other people; I was masquerading as an Esprit owner for the day, courtesy of my father's V8. The talks were very well attended though, and the comments I overheard while waiting for Brian to sign the book were very positive.

I have a +2, but can see that the book is going to be really useful. I've leafed through it quickly - my three year old was very keen to take a look so it went back into the box.

I wish there was a version for the +2 - the devil's in the detail with my restoration so it would be really useful to have pictures of the actual car. As it is, the body repair section, the engine rebuild, suspension, steering etc, will all still be very useful to me.

If you have a baby elan, I'm sure you would not regret the purchase!

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:46 am

Sean

Steve Taylor at the Elan Factory has been collecting data for publishing a book on Plus 2 rebuilding based on a number of rebuilds he has done over the years. Dont know how close he is to completing the project but maybe one day you will get one on Plus 2's.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Otto » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:22 pm

UUoooh! just picked up my copy from the dear postoffice....And I have one week of holiday....The book looks very nice! Singing Madonna's Hit Hooolidaay, and Bruce Springsteens, Waiting for A sunny day...
Yes! reading, redwine and dreams of summer.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Lotus Elan +2 130S 1971, VW 181 (Thing) 1975, Honda VFR 400R 1991, Vespa GT 1957, VW 231 1975,
Otto
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:03 am

Might as well get in on the act. Purchased my copy two weeks ago and had it sent to a mate in the UK. He flys for a living, but not to Australia. Soooo, he is going to deliver it to another mate, in Hong Kong, who also flys for a living, who will then deliver it to me here in Surfers Paradise in time for Xmas. At least that was the plan until the mate in the UK was rostered for simulator for the rest of this month and can't deliver the book to Hong Kong until the 3rd of Dec'. Still enough time you say? Well, the mate scheduled to pick up the book in Hong Kong has 3 weeks holiday starting on the 2nd of Dec'. Looks like Xmas 2007 at this rate, not 2006. Another mate, also a flyer, has come to the rescue, so hopefully we are back on track for this Xmas. All this to save about 25 quid in postage!!!
Nuts or what? Only hope it arrives in one piece.

Colin 68S4DHC.
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:18 pm

ww
Last edited by elanfan1 on Fri May 10, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: