S4 Elan / Zetec

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:14 pm

John,

Many thanks for the additional photos. Two questions. Are you planning on adding the lettering to the dash or do you think that will spoil the overall look of it? Your battery appears to be mounted some distance from the rear wing. Is there a reason for this, or is it simply a very wide battery because the floor was elevated?
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:49 pm

Yes, thats on list of to do's. I bought a set from our friend on the Emerald Isle.
The dash will need a thorough degrease & then I'll give it a go.
I've no intention of laquering over the letters, I'd certainly bodge that bit.
You observed correctly, the battery is bigger than normal being 45Ah.
Today I bought a new 44Ah one which is slightly slimmer & black but also has better starting capability than the one being replaced, which is knackered anyway.
The battery sits on the original location & the floor is relieved locally to fit around it.

Not much gets past you guys does it :wink:
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:54 am

I thought I would update this thread about John's car. I would like to think that he would be pleased with the further mods I have carried out. He was not one for convention and liked to modify. :D
We are now on bike carbs, a Nodiz, close ratio gearbox, 4 pot calipers front brakes, adjustable A frames and new paint job. Now Cirrus white. John was never that happy with the paint job and the ground out wheel arches. Just done a leather clean and slight colour enhancement to the seats etc as they had faded. The white with the dark hood and grey leather trim looks the dogs danglies.
Winter mods are lighter window motors and one touch control. Also daytime running lights in the indicator positions.
Both these from the recent posts in the mods section. Thanks guys, great mods, looking forward to doing them.
I have some throttle bodies stashed (you guessed, from a motorcycle) that may see the light of day in the future. Driving needs to be done next year! Plus i would struggle to be critical of the Japanese carbs. I will post some finished photos when i get time.
Bodgers Apprentice :twisted:
Attachments
IMG_1438.JPG and
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:00 pm

Keeping the tradition alive. Nice! :D
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pjr » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:19 pm

I think you are doing John and the car proud, please keep us updated.
Pjr
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: miked » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:41 am

Thanks guys.
Thoughts not shared by many, I am afraid. Pretty sure Mr Chapman would have embraced some funtional modifications. I do enjoy working on the car but also want to use it for what it is intended for. I get all this sticking to how it was built business were you can. However, having tried out some of the old tat that is reproduced these days, I will stick with good reliabilty, cooling, braking, lighting, power etc.
I have done about 22 year trying to stick to originality with other ones I have restored. I decided which items that I would not use over the years. Last year I drove an Elan with all original everything, fresh restoration. Was glad to get back in mine. This is why we get dreamers buying them on the looks and then taking them back after 2 days. It happens.

:D
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:05 am

I think that you are doing a great job and everyone has their own taste/requirements.
I am currently rebuilding a +2 with a fuel injected Zetec, MT75 5 speed box, air-con with a full rewire etc. and looking forward to a comfortable reliable drive - eventually!
Cheers
John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: miked » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:23 am

Thansks and Good luck John,
I will likely go to injection when I get the house move over. My mate and I did his twincam. The bum end of car was in the garage. I started the engine for the first time ever expecting to get some fumes and having to go outside for a good celebration and some heavy duty coughing.
I was amazed when I looked in the back of the garage and had a sniff. Unbelievable. Blew my mind a bit. Also a great and rewarding exercise in researching and fitting a system for the first time.
Even on these Japanese bike carbs the exhaust is clean as a whistle. Also my mate driving behind can tell the difference. So catching no harm anyway.
Cheers Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:21 pm

c42 wrote:I think that you are doing a great job and everyone has their own taste/requirements.
I am currently rebuilding a +2 with a fuel injected Zetec, MT75 5 speed box, air-con with a full rewire etc. and looking forward to a comfortable reliable drive - eventually!
Cheers
John

Hi John,
I'm doing a similar Zetec build, how are you doing the aircon? Of subject so maybe I should start another thread?
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elan66 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:52 pm

You heretic Mike :lol:
Other than the fact you're a top bloke and were a valued friend Mike,I think John new no one would have done a better job finishing the car to the level he hoped for,and finishing the few engineering challenges he sadly didn't get time to do.
Well done mate,
Regards Paul
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: miked » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:20 pm

Thanks Paul,

Yes, crimes against Lotus. :D
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat