Soon to be joining your ranks...

PostPost by: Steve G » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:05 pm

Hello

After many months of deliberation and pondering I have decided that my next car is going to be a Lotus Elan. I have not decided on exact details yet, whether I want a coupe or convertible for instance, but I know that I must have one. I have been considering lots of different classic cars for a while now, all I knew at first is that it had to;

Be from the 1960's or 70's
Be rear wheel drive
Weigh under a tonne
Have great handling
Have racing pedigree
Be reasonably quick
Make my pulse quicken when I first open the garage
Be attractive to me and, at the least, inoffensive to my wife.

My friend has recently bought a 1968 BMW 2002 and I love it, the fact that he bought this car has given me the courage to take the plunge and get 'something a bit more interesting'. I currently drive a year 2000 Honda DC2 Integra Type-R which I love but it's time to move on. I believe I have taken front wheel drive cars to their ultimate conclusion, having owned a 205 GTI and a Clio Trophy before that and the Integra being the best of them. The Honda's reliability actually annoys me now that it is my second car, I find myself changing the oil every 3,000 miles just for something to do to it! I owned a MK 1 Mazda MX5 SE for about a year but had to sell it as it was the girlfriends and she wanted something more practical, I loved the RWD chassis and excellent gear change and the way it felt like a classic British sports car.

I plan to keep the Elan original but I will be taking it on track days and possibly even start hill climbing with it. I will also be taking it to Goodwood Breakfast Clubs and hopefully on some Lotus events.

I am starting to save for the car now and will be putting the Integra sale towards it, I don't want to get a loan for the car so I may have to wait until next year to afford the right car.

I have a couple of questions;

Are any owners quite tall and does being particularly tall rule out the Hardtop version? I am 6' 7"! Is it possible to modify seat rails to accommodate the taller gentleman?

What are your thoughts on this car currently for sale? It seems a bit cheaper than the average but looks at first glance to be a very good example;
http://www.carandclassic.com/car/C107330/

Sorry for the rambling first post, I have so many questions but will endeavor to use the search before asking them.

Thanks

Steve Gunnis
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: memnon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:16 pm

Check the chassis for rust at that price.

The other reason it mya be a bit cheap is the non-standard colour scheme. Doesn't affect the car though!
Rough bodywork is easy to fix but, to fix it properly on these cars requires lots of money.

Jason
memnon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:19 pm

Steve

I think, but I may get shot down for this, that the +2 has a bit more room. Both cars are quite roomy for their size and era but at 6' 7" you may be pushing it. I sense from my experiences sitting in both that there is a touch more room for the driver in the +2, so if the baby Elan is a bit small, don't rule out owning an old Lotus. The +2 is significantly cheaper than the Elan - if your budget is 10k, you may find that a lot of baby Elans you view are a bit ropey, whereas at 10k, you may find that a lot of +2s you view are in excellent shape. Here's mine for a taster.....ooh yeah, baby!
Attachments
fornt reduced.jpg and
Last edited by richgilb on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:27 pm

Steve

Welcome! Firstly, you have made the right decision with regard to buying an Elan, but then you knew we would say that!

The Elan advertised claims to be a 'particularly genuine car' and I am not at all sure what that bit of advert speak means. It is certainly not a Sprint and definitely not a Lotus colour, so the colour scheme looks wrong. It appears to be a 1967 S3 and as such, would be a good base for what you want to do. However I would be wary that there is no engine photo and would want a great deal more information before making a journey to view it.

As to the issue of your height, there is only one way to find out if you will be comfortable and that is to go sit in an Elan. Where are you located, because I am sure someone on here would be able to help you with that.

Tim

PS No 'baby' Elans exist :wink:
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:40 pm

Thanks for the really quick responses, what a great forum this looks to be!

I haven't ruled out a 2+2, it's just that I saw an Elan Sprint at Goodwood last month and I actually fell in love, they're so perfectly proportioned and just make other cars look overweight and unnecessarily large. If it means that I fit better then I may have to consider one, I could always get a Plus Two for a while then a two seater later.

I would ideally like to get one for under ?12,000 as I don't mind spending some time and money making the car perfect over a couple of years. In fact I wouldn't want a perfect car that I was afraid to get out of the garage or that didn't require any work at all.

I live in Brighton but commute to Westerham in Kent every day. I go to every Goodwood Breakfast Club and will be going to the Revival on the Friday, perhaps I could meet an owner there to try it on for size?

Thank you for the comments on the car, I will do some more research and possibly contact the owner, in my experience if a car is for sale that looks to good to be true it normally is, otherwise it goes after an hour.
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:38 pm

My S1 was previously owned by someone who was (still is) 6' 6". He didn't adjust the seat rails but did adjust the rake of the drivers seat slightly. See "cockpit.jpg" in this thread:

elan-photos-f18/1963-t17586.html

I'll be at the revival on the Friday parked up on the Lavant straight bank so you can come and try it for size. I might be at the breakfast club on the 30th but I'm not sure yet.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:45 pm

paddy wrote:My S1 was previously owned by someone who was (still is) 6' 6". He didn't adjust the seat rails but did adjust the rake of the drivers seat slightly. See "cockpit.jpg" in this thread:

elan-photos-f18/1963-t17586.html

I'll be at the revival on the Friday parked up on the Lavant straight bank so you can come and try it for size. I might be at the breakfast club on the 30th but I'm not sure yet.

Paddy

Hi Paddy

That's great news, If a 6'6" person can fit then I should be able to squeeze in one. I can see how silly it sounded asking about the rails when the seats are as far back as they can go! I will look out for you at the Revival. What a gorgeous car, I love the S1 tail lights. I will also have a look out for you on the 30th, I presume you were at the 'Open Top Motoring' last one?
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:46 pm

trw99 wrote:

PS No 'baby' Elans exist :wink:

Sorry, I meant hairdresser.
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:54 pm

Steve G wrote:I presume you were at the 'Open Top Motoring' last one?

No, forced away because of family holiday :)

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:01 pm

paddy wrote:
Steve G wrote:I presume you were at the 'Open Top Motoring' last one?

No, forced away because of family holiday :)

Paddy

Oh dear, I was forced to miss the Festival of Speed for the first time in six years because of a honeymoon!
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:50 pm

At 6' 7" you're going to be pushing the limits of comfort in an Elan, as has already been said.
You will certainly have to rule out fitting a roll bar as those limit the amount of seat adjustment.
I fitted one to my Elan & at 6' 0" I have to adopt a bent knee seating position to keep myself low enough down in the car.
Some people don't mind looking like they're a "Pimple sat on a rock" but I think they look quite silly.
(My inferiority complex showing there)
Having said that, I should add that with my bent knee position I have done some long trips in the car with no discomfort.
No doubt the accompanying adrenelin rush compensates :roll:
Seat rearward movemement is not limited by the seat rails but the forward attachment point of the seats.
That should not be an unsurmountable problem with a bit of lateral thinking.
I also suggest that you "try it for size Sir".
The seat needs only 2 bolts removing & then you will be able to see how far back the seat could go.
An accomodating owner/dealer should be able to help you with that.
A smaller diameter steering wheel will almost certainly be a must & you may find that the pedals are a bit closely spaced, depending on your shoe size.
You mentioned enjoying the MX5; a car which IMHO is a productionised Elan & has a hell of a lot going for it. I'm a very big fan.
If only they had a bit more ooompf!
However if you put an Elan alongside an MX5 you will become aware of how tiny the Elan in fact is.
Anyway good luck & I hope you find that the Elan IS RIGHT for you; great little cars & of course nobody on here is at all biased :wink:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:18 pm

Steve
I would say the car advertised is an S4 - it has the "airflow" grills on the B Pillar. Agree it's not an original colour scheme (Groovy baby !) & I would also want to see an under-the bonnet shot.

I'm in Edenbridge if you want to pop down after work before your trek home one night - I have a '72 drophead sprint if you want to see it. (Send me a PM 1st)

I'm somewhat less than 6'7" though !(Think Chapman-esque.....)

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:34 pm

Welcome, Steve,
I know you'll enjoy it here. Even though we bicker a lot about Real Elans vs. Elan Sedans (let's hear it, boys and girls :twisted: ), we really do get along quite well (don't we?).
I agree that your 6'7" height could be a challenge. Being an open-air type myself, the top/hood isn't something that worries me overmuch - also, I'm a good six inches shorter. You'll definitely have to try out a car or two to see what works best for you.
Keeping an Elan original is a worthy goal, but you might want to think about a couple of things first:
1. Can you even find one within your price range?
2. If you do, would you be so worried about its condition that you'd be afraid to drive it as it's meant to be driven?
3. Would a 20-footer (like mine) with uprated wheels, tires, suspension be more to your liking even though it's not original?
We all buy Elans for different reasons - be sure of your own before you take the plunge - or just be guided by what's available in the marketplace.
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:48 pm

Steve,

I was 6'6" when I started driving my S2 in 1967. Age has shortened me by an inch or so. With the clutch fully depressed, my left leg is straight out. My right leg is bent a bit and that can be uncomfortable on long trips. My knee rests against the center console (LHD). I use the original steering wheel, but a smaller wheel might allow a more comfortable leg position. Headroom (under the rag top) is just adequate. I have a custom roll bar that allows the seat to slide all the way back - the top of the hoop is about level with the top of my head.

You will just have to try it and see. Good luck in your search!
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Welcome, Steve.

All the advice on here so far has been excellent. I am fairly certain that all the responders are drophead or roadster owners and have responded accordingly, although it hasn't answered one of your basic questions - Coupe or open top. Having owned both as well as a Plus 2 and being 6'1" with a long waist,(headroom is a frequent issue for me in small cars) I can offer some comparisons.

The issue in the coupe is not only head room, it is shoulder room. Because the finishes inside the fixed roof diminish the width available for shoulders, it gets cramped. Although my coupe was a better driver until I restored my roadster, I still preferred driving the roadster for reasons of comfort. With the top off, the deck and sill fall just below my arm level and allow a more comfortable driving position. Plus, I suspect you will be looking at the very top of the windscreen at eye level, so traffic signals and road signs become hard to see. It is like driving a video game with the top of the screen cut off.

Now, none of this applies to the Plus 2; it has both ample headroom and lateral room and is the more comfortable car by far. The problem is it doesn't have the same instant reflexes of the Elans. It is a very capable car to drive, just not a "squirtable" if you get my distinction.

So, never reluctant to leap into the center of a firestorm, occasionally self generated, I offer this: You probably should not look at a coupe. Get a soft top AND a Plus 2 and have the whole spectrum covered. :lol:
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: