new guy on the block

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:42 pm

[quote="richard sprint"]As per the title 'new guy etc' did not know about mono colour!
[quote]

Richard

You can find out some more at my web site, dedicated to the Sprint, see below.

[quote="bcmc33"]As all Sprints had been produced by the end of Dec 1972, there would not have been many produced in tawny. But the colour did continue on the +2.[quote]

Brian

That theory has now changed. Both Alan Morgan and I have been attempting to get the factory to open up some more on the final production date for Sprints. The line from Lotus now is that Sprints were manufactured up to the March 1973 date that we know about.

There needs to be further exploration on this issue as it affects the non-payment of classic car Road Tax, the cut off date for which is manufacture prior to 1 Jan 73.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: FritzPasadena » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:45 pm

This is a really interesting thread as I plan to get Option 1 to do my S2 but have also been researching soda blasting as it seems (to my uninitiated mind) by far the best way to strip a shell both in terms of time/money but more importantly not damaging it.

Mark, can you tell me who you got to strip your Elite please?

Thanks.
FritzPasadena
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richard sprint » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:18 pm

I have found over the years that metallic paints are so difficult to look after particularly after any repaint is necessary, so give me a solid colour any time.

Here comes the 'however' !

Metallic to me looks the best in strong sunlight and uninteresting in overcast conditions, solid colours the opposite, some how the cheeky bright solid colours used during the Sprint production period are so indicative of that era and besides must be such a good safety feature.

Have yet to take to the road in an Elan but will I feel as intimidated as I think by the humungous bulk of todays machinery?
richard sprint
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:00 pm

RghO, you`re definitely not sad, indeed of all the correspondents your opinions are the ones I value the most highly. Anyway, as you say, you didn`t paint your S4.
On a similar note, that is.......not the actual thread, at the H&H auction in Buxton today there was an immaculate Ferrari GTO imitation based on a 260Z. Unfortunately, to my mind, it sported Ferrari badges and those yellow shields with the prancing horse on the wings. I saw one a year ago, similar but there were no Ferrari badges and the yellow shields had black maps of Great Britain instead. RESPECT !
On a different similar note, only a few lots didn`t sell today out of 90 odd and about 40 lots acheived around twice the guide price. What recession?
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:10 am

It seems fashion has a strong part to play where colours are concerned, just think of how many brown cars were around in the seventies compared to today.

Funnily enough, both of the Plus 2's I've owned were Sable originally, both are/were white now. I don't think I have ever seen a Sable coloured car, anyone got a picture of one?

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:47 pm

Robbie, it looks like Sable is very similar to Tawny, but a few shades lighter....metalic coffee! These two pictures don't do the colour justice (one just pinched from the Lotus Europa site) but they do give an idea:
Mark
Attachments
L19 Sable.jpg and
L19 Sable Europa.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jolly Jumper » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:01 pm

I have seen Tawny-over-White on a DHC Sprint once. It certainly is a period colour and goes well with the gold bumpers and the stripe. However, cheerful or perky it is not, brown is never a happy colour. The Elan deserves a bold paint scheme. In my eyes, the white bottom half with the gold bumpers and stripes and black wheels is what makes the Sprint special. It looks super with most colours. Carnival Red-over-white is perfect, although a little bit predictable. Yellow over white is also very nice. Lagoon Blue over white is absolutely perfect, looks so classy and sporty. Pistachio Green is in your face but also very nice. Regency Red is more laid back and *maybe* a little bit dull. You rarely see Colorado Orange, I don't know why. It should look great.

If you go for a mono colour, make sure you paint the bumbers gold. Looks very good with Carnival Red and Lagoon Blue. Also, the lowest part under the sills should be black, makes a big difference.
Jolly Jumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:25 pm

Going back to the theme of the thread (which is a very good and enjoyable one!), there is great footage of Chapman in his plane and at Hethel, along with the factory floor and an Elan, +2 and Europa being driven on the factory circuit. I have posted the link before, back in 2005, but on re-visiting found it did not work.

So go to http://www.britishpathe.com and enter Lotus Factory into the search box. You should get two returns, the bottom being 'Extra! Lotus Cars' with a picture of Chunky. Click on the Download button, fill in the form (it is free) and enjoy some one and a half minutes of great nostalgia! Then you can waste a great deal more of the working day by searching for Lotus content and see some wonderful Pathe news footage from bygone races.

Tim

[Sorry, just realised I have posted this in the wrong section. I shall rectify!]
Last edited by trw99 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:15 pm

Regency Red is more laid back and *maybe* a little bit dull.

Maybe not ?
Attachments
DSC09932.JPG and
paint prep and finish done by rank amateur
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:02 pm

As I drew in to the Donnington car park ? the first noticeable thing I saw was a line of three yellow Elans.
Yellow  Elans copy.jpg and

On leaving the show and entering the car park ? the first thing I saw was a tawny Sprint. In the sun light it looked superb.
Tawny  Elan.JPG and
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:24 am

Thanks for the pics Mark,

I see there is not much of a difference, metallic coffee sounds about right!

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 65 Lotus » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:16 pm

Painted the '65 S1 Viper Race Yellow (Dodge) after a bit of bodywork that required a respray. Even though it's not an original color (and I'm usually a stickler for originality), I love it. Silver bumpers, dark grey carpet interior, and black leather seats. Mmm.
Attachments
Ta-da.jpg and
Scott In Ohio
26/3795
65 Lotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jolly Jumper » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:38 am

cabc26b wrote:
Regency Red is more laid back and *maybe* a little bit dull.

Maybe not ?

Okay Okay! :oops:
Looks good on your car with the silver hardtop!
I meant regency red is not a "perky" colour like yellow or carnival red or colorado orange. It's more grown up. But also nice. Heck, the Elan looks super in most colours / except.... black*

//* now waiting for someone to show pics of a black Elan :P
Jolly Jumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Leo Leentvaar » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:24 pm

Jolly Jumper wrote:. Heck, the Elan looks super in most colours / except.... black*

//* now waiting for someone to show pics of a black Elan :P

LOL, Mr. Black's Elan Sprint is BLUE I believe (couldnae resist Alex :mrgreen: )
1971 Sprint DHC
Leo Leentvaar
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:40 pm

Robbie693 wrote:It seems fashion has a strong part to play where colours are concerned, just think of how many brown cars were around in the seventies compared to today.

Funnily enough, both of the Plus 2's I've owned were Sable originally, both are/were white now. I don't think I have ever seen a Sable coloured car, anyone got a picture of one?

Robbie

My +2 is 'Tawny' with goldflake roof.

Much in need of paint...and I think I'll go with the same again :)

Peter
Attachments
Reduced Elan.jpg and
My Elan +2
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: