Classics Monthly Magazine

PostPost by: ema7elan » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:30 pm

I ran a standard unmolested +2 from 2002 to 2005 but after a heart operation, I made the mistake of replacing it with a Mazda RX8. This lasted just 12 months before the yearning for another +2 became too much. I ended up buying a fresh build Zetec elan (2007). The builder wanted 20K but because he was emigrating I got it for 12K-Bargain? Not really, since owning it I have had a number of problems, all relating to the amateur build. However, now (thanks to Paul Matty) the car runs well. The suspension is harder then the standard +2 but softer than the wifes Mini Cooper (BMW). The gearchange is not as good as the standard elan and from cold can be stiff. Once engine has warmed up, its not bad. The engine is what you expect of a zetec and does not compare the TC in my sprint but is is very torquey and is much more relaxed on the motorway.

Mine has 167BHP but does not feel any quicker than my Sprint. It sits no higher than the standard +2 but is it better? At the moment i'm not sure. I am using it as my everyday car so the miles are clocking up. Perhaps i will post a 12 month running report next June!

EMA7ELAN

Sprint
Zetec +2
ema7elan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:43 pm

Just to add to my earlier essay, the front ride height on my car is 5 1/2 inches from cross member to the ground - this is a little lower than standard (1 inch?) in line with TTR's recommendations. None the less Jerry's car was much higher (2-3 inches?).

Craig
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:31 am

The sweetest, well and actually only Zetec I've seen was at the Ft. Worth, TX LOG (national Lotus meet) two years ago--don't know if he's on this listserve, but I did not notice a ride height issue--main things the owner talked about were difficulties with setting up the Zetec and getting fuel injection correct--incredible car, he had accessed the space in front of the heater unit and blanked off the air intakes to the interior to fit internals for the airconditioner. He had a navigation system using the original dash but reoriented the gauges so the navigation screen was centralized. Yea, I lean toward the purist but this car was TODAYS +2. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:59 pm

John being like you whilst on a trip to Stamford today i was reading the article at the library (WH Smith) & i looked up & thought the fellow standing next to me looked familiar so i asked is this your zetec +2 in the article & sure enough it was Jerry hows that for coincidence. We had a quick chat & he reminded me the car is up for sale & although it looks very nice ?21K is a lot for a +2 & there is some serious secondhand machinery out there for this money despite the fact they are great cars. I queried the spring heights with Wiggy on their test day at Bruntingthorpe & he insisted this was std +2 height but something is out somewhere. The gearbox gate 2nd to 3rd is strange seems to be an arc but i guess you get used to it
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:01 pm

John being like you whilst on a trip to Stamford today i was reading the article at the library (WH Smith) & i looked up & thought the fellow standing next to me looked familiar so i asked is this your zetec +2 in the article & sure enough it was Jerry hows that for coincidence. We had a quick chat & he reminded me the car is up for sale & although it looks very nice ?21K is a lot for a +2 & there is some serious secondhand machinery out there for this money despite the fact they are great cars. I queried the spring heights with Wiggy on their test day at Bruntingthorpe & he insisted this was std +2 height but something is out somewhere. The gearbox gate 2nd to 3rd is strange seems to be an arc but i guess you get used to it
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:05 am

One of the other articles was about my car (the S4).
The guys on the magazine were very good. Came out and spend most foa day with me doing their pictures. Used a bunch of mine for the small pictures at the side of each page.

Thought I would highjack this thread away from discussing +2 ride height....

Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:17 am

Bruce,

are we now talking about the article that was mentioned some weeks ago, that was expected to be in the shops in December for the January issue?
If so I will let my man in GB know that his search for the required magazine ends with the purchase of this issue.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:24 am

Yes John, That's the one.
I hope to scan the article soon so if you can't find a copy let me know and I can email it to you
Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:36 am

Ta!

that's very kind. If you don't hear anything from me we can consider the "mission accomplished"

Cheers
john
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri May 24, 2013 1:20 pm

I have dragged up this old topic, as Jerry's car is for sale once again. Looks like zetec +2's are going up in value.

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/ ... trovitcars
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri May 24, 2013 2:41 pm

Spyder fan wrote:I have dragged up this old topic, as Jerry's car is for sale once again. Looks like zetec +2's are going up in value.

That advert makes an interesting read & I'm slightly surprised that 200 BHP can only manage 5,5 Secs for 0-60.
I would have expected it to be a bit quicker than that.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri May 24, 2013 6:42 pm

Spyder fan wrote:I have dragged up this old topic, as Jerry's car is for sale once again. Looks like zetec +2's are going up in value.

It's a bit cheeky in the advert to call it a restoration rather than a re-build since it has so many non-standard facets now.

A bit like:

This is Harold's battle axe, it has only had 5 new handles and two new heads since the Battle of Hastings in 1066.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri May 24, 2013 7:47 pm

I think you are splitting hairs Bill.

These are very misunderstood cars
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Tue May 28, 2013 6:24 pm

billwill wrote:It's a bit cheeky in the advert to call it a restoration rather than a re-build since it has so many non-standard facets now.

Well I suppose the body could be an original bit that has been restored.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: