Elan Flairs - the good the bad and some ugly ones

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:26 pm

If seriously racing an Elan what you need is wider track hence the ugly flares on a lot of cars - you dont actually need wider tyres - just more width between them.

So what you put on depends on your preference for use and appearance

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi Roy

I found these on my computer, they are dated April, 2002. I'm not sure where I copied them from but I thought folks would like to see them, seeing you posted the teaser photo. Looks like a set of Jap Magna wheels on it too.

Gary

p.s. - I renamed the topic as other people have posted photo's and to lump them all under a name of "butt ugly" is misleading.

garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:00 am

Gary,

Yes, that's my one. The pictures were in the photo section but they were removed. I'm afraid the last one sums up its current condition. :cry: It is on JAPearce Magna wheels, 6" front 7" rear. The rebuild will commence when I have finished the house mods which have included a nice workshop/garage. The engine has been finished for some time......

As for the worst flairs I think the prize probably goes to the Sprint on pages 77,100 and 101 in Mike Taylor's book 'Lotus Elan, The Complete Story'. Apologies to the current owner if it's still about. :)

Roy
'65S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:59 am

Hi Roy

Your S2 Elan still looks pretty good, hope you get the garage finished soon so you can get the S2 back on the road.
I found these pictures of the grey coupe with the bad hair flairs, not good ones but a black car in a dark shop on top of taking a digital photo
of the picture doesn't help much.
Does anyone ever remember seeing this Black RHD early airflow Coupe (36/6292) with gold sills and bumpers, silver Jap Magna wheels 6 inch front
7 inch rear with gold painted inward pointing 3 ear knock-ons and this very substantial rollbar, anywhere.

Gary

Last edited by garyeanderson on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:41 am

Some more flairs photos, this one is Jeff Ivers red Pre airflow Coupe 36/5704.

lots of info located on Jeffs site.

http://pages.prodigy.net/jivers/lotus.htm
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jrwiseman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:25 am

I figure if you are posting pictures of Jeff's autocross car I should probably post mine :) I cut my fenders last weekend and have not really thought about getting started on the flares just yet, having too much fun running with the new tires !

Anyway, concours gents should probably cover their eyes !

enjoy
John
Attachments
main.jpeg and
jrwiseman
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:37 am

Hi John

I wouldn't want to drive the Elan in the rain like that but thats not the point of your modification. What size tires are you trying to cover and what flairs do you have to accomplish it? Just make sure you save the old arch cutouts, they can always be re-glassed back into place in the future if you so desire.

Gary

here are some photos of Johns S2 take a while back, the date on the files are from 2001

garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jrwiseman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:23 pm

[quote="garyeanderson"]Hi John

I wouldn't want to drive the Elan in the rain like that but thats not the point of your modification. What size tires are you trying to cover and what flairs do you have to accomplish it? Just make sure you save the old arch cutouts, they can always be re-glassed back into place in the future if you so desire.

Gary

The new tires are 225/45-13s. The ones in the picture from 2001 you posted were probably the Hoosier 185/60-13s I normally run [ could have also been Yoko A032Rs as well ].

I got a set of flairs much like Jeff's maybe 5 years ago. I could just never bring myself to cut up the car until your recent pictures inspired me to action !

And I have put the fender pieces in a safe place for eventual reattachment.

take care
John

PS

I have attached another shot that shows the cuts a bit better
Attachments
main-1.pdf
(410.37 KiB) Downloaded 564 times
jrwiseman
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: HolmDenmark » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:49 pm

The reason Gary started this thread was a question from me. My 66 FHC was recently imported from California to Denmark. Car is in fairly good condition but with some arch extensions that are not 100 % to my taste.

Does anybody know this cars history prior to 1994. As far as I can deduct it was bought on an auction in 1994 by the gentleman I bought it from.
Attachments
ELAN BENDIX1V3.jpg and
Christian - 1965 Elan S3 FHC (being restored)
HolmDenmark
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:11 pm

here are a few more Elan photos of modified type 26 cars includeing a couple of 26R that I have found over the years on the internet.

The medici blue car is a photo I found on the Evergreen Lotus Car Club web page, this picture is at least 10 years old and probably a lot older.

The next two are from race-cars.com (I think), Roy probably knows which car it is.

6-28-08
When looking for other photos I came across the same photos that were named 26R_SII_50, so its a good chance it is 26R S2-50 or maybe a fake, I am not up on these things.

I don't think this Elan needs any intro, its a very tastefully done rebody that is now owned by Paul Matty (again, I think)

The last Elan is the car that Andy Dijac built on 26/4079 and is more than likely the most expensive (in terms of real dollars invested). The numbers that I heard at the time 10 or more years ago were high 70's maybe low 80's in U.S. currency. Where the Elan is today, I don't know but I think it is on the left side of the U.S.

Last edited by garyeanderson on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:05 pm

Great info and pictures again Gary...much appreciated!
I notice that the '66 Coupe owned by HolmDenmark has the recess in the front bumper for a licence plate. There was a S4 on eBay recently (also a Cal car I think) that had the same thing. Was this a standard bumper on some federal cars, or an aftermarket option? Maybe just for some states, as many don't require a front plate?
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:17 pm

Hi Mark

I have seen the front bumpers like Holm's before. I don't know if it was a factory one or not. There is quite a number of folks that do or did do Elan front clips, they seemed to be a good market for them when the Elan was younger. People really tried hard and stuffed the fronts a lot so they also had the front bumper molds to go along. I know some of the later bumpers (U.S. Sprint's) had the amber reflectors on the sides mounted on a flattened area but I can't remember if they had the licence plate recess also. The front licence plate is a state to state thing, recently Massachusetts went back to a 2 plate requirement with the older single rear plate grandfathered.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:32 pm

I had the pleasure of knowing Andy Dijac and managed to acquire a few surplus parts from him a few years ago. My brother Dave, a +2 owner, did some wrenching on this beautiful car prior to Gary moving to the west coast for employment reasons.

I should have taken up Andy's offer to take it for a spin, but declined at the time. My brother Dave did take it for ride on occasion. Suffice it to say, it was a very strong runner with a lot of trick pieces, including an ultra lite body.

I don't know if Andy still owns it, but it was one beautiful car.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elandoc » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:11 am

Interesting stuff. My S3 had flares attached in the UK - I think from new. I thought them 26R flares, but raced against a TTR bodied 26R replica in Targa Tasmania a few years ago, and mine seemed much wider at the rear - I presume the TTR body to be faithfully accurate.
Currently running Toyo RA-1's 185/60 13 on 6" F and 205/60 13 on 7" R.
I'll attempt to master the new millenium and post a pic
Attachments
pm030819e.JPG and
during restoration
pm030819b resize.JPG and
On old JAP 5.5"
67 S3 DHC - The world's most expensive Elan has now been sold!
85 Ferrari 308 GTSi QV
76 MGB
07 Aston Martin V8 Vantage
81 Ducati 900 MHR
65 Elan S2 lightweight project under construction
73 Triumph X-75 Hurricane
elandoc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elandoc » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:52 am

Couldn't find the shot from Classic Adelaide, so I posted on the other topic to bring it up (My latest S3 hillclimb car). It shows the flares better.

Patrick
67 S3 DHC - The world's most expensive Elan has now been sold!
85 Ferrari 308 GTSi QV
76 MGB
07 Aston Martin V8 Vantage
81 Ducati 900 MHR
65 Elan S2 lightweight project under construction
73 Triumph X-75 Hurricane
elandoc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: